PDA

View Full Version : What type of wrist support do you use and why?

dpmusic70
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
A few months ago I e mailed Susie Minshew with a question about keeping my hand behind the ball. I explained that it was hard for me to keep my wrist from breaking back. She recommended that I get the Mongoose Lifter. I did and it has really helped me to keep my wrist in the right position. How about you?

Graaille
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Personally I use a Generic Columbia 300 glove with the metal piece removed. I found that the fat velcro straps that keep it secure to my wrist actually provides all the support I might need w/out getting in the way of my wrist flexibility. But I've also been working at strengthening my wrist and forearm to make the glove more of a grip accessory vs a wrist accessory.

jmainville
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
When I bowled on my first sanctioned league in 2001 I didnt throw much hook at all, due to bad wrist support. I bowled on a league with Joe Moro, who invented the pro release. He gave me one and I used it for about a year until it worked so well to build up my wrist strength that I hooked the ball to much when I used it. I bowl now with no wrist support. But being that the pro release was the only one I've ever used and it seemed to work good for me I always recomend that. They are not to expensive and hold up very well.

http://www.mgbowling.com/images/products/prer.jpg

bowl1820
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Wrist braces a subject of much debate, I recently seen it said they are the cause of bowling's bad reputation. I guess we don't have to blame easy lane conditions and high tech balls anymore.

I've tried many over the years which is the best? They all have advantages, it's mainly up to the wearer which is the best. The purists will tell you about the disadvantages and there are some, like they can limit you in how you play the lanes.

I currently use the Moro Design “Extended Pro Release” which I've had for years, I like it because it's easily adjustable in the up/down axis (cupped wrist to broke back) and left/right axis (for spin or roll). It's made well from strong materials.Also you can get replacement straps and padding for it. I used the regular “Pro Release” before it.

Another good one was the “Repeater” made by Chas. Robinson Ent. Inc. It just held your hand straight and extended behind your fingers (Like a Robbie's Gladiator), also it was very light because it was made from I believe a carbon fiber material. But you can get it anymore.

I also liked the “Striker” made from a molded plastic, your hand just plugged into it. It held your hand in the standard “shake hands” position.

Cobra products, I've used two the “Scorpion” which is a good sturdy brace for just keeping a firm wrist. The other is the “Cobra” now this thing takes getting use too. A lot of you may have seen it, it's the one with the extended index finger brace. This one promotes forward roll and side spin, But you have to watch out it's easy to “Top” ((where your hand comes over the top of the ball) the ball until you get use to it. It's a good training aid for getting the feel of putting forward roll and side spin on a ball.

Now there were the Robby's, like the “Leather Original” (forget the vinyl one) a top of the line wrist brace. Very popular style, similar ones made by many companies like Masters, I prefer the plus model its a little longer.

The Mongoose was a good one also, a lot of the women around here used them, my girl used one at one time for awhile, she uses the “Repeater” now.

Grip gloves I never used them much, I tried one for awhile a ebonite “React/r”. It didn't do much for me, I made one once also. I got a glove cut the two middle fingers and thumb off, went to the arts&crafts store and got a small bottle liquid vinyl and drew a grip pattern on the palm and other fingers. It worked.

There are a few other gloves I tested out, most are just knock offs of the one's above. If you can bowl without them do it. That gives you the most options in regards to release. If you want one try it out first, a lot of pro shops will let you test drive one.

Also if you use one, you should have your grip fitted while wearing it. Like the “Gladiator” they affect your span slightly, now ones like the “Leather Original” you wouldn't.

If you can look in the June '09 issue of Bowling This Month magazine. They have a article which shows just about every brace out.

dougb
06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll second the suggestion to check out BTM this month. I use a Brunswick Powerkoil. Like many others, you can adjust for wrist cup and spin/roll.

I keep going back and forth between support or not. I definitely hook the ball more with the support, but I like to be able to play an outside and down-and-in line and find it easier to do with less revs. That argues for no support.

I've been building up my wrist strength, and keep experimenting with both. At the very least, the wrist support taught me what a good release/wrist position feels like to hook the ball.

Jamski
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I use an off-the-shelf Ebonite positioner, but I find more than anything I use it as a point of reference than for support. I bowl just fine without it, but before I address it helps me to have the thing on so I know I've got my hand under the ball properly. Sounds weird, but it works for me.

Jord_84
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I use the Robby Rev's RevII positioner, which allows for up/down axis and left/right axis adjustments. The only drawback to the RevII is that you can't get replacements for the neoprene lining.... a chunk of the lining tore off and my fingers are getting pinched by the bare metal from the weight of the ball. I can hook the ball without the glove...but I have a poor habit of bending my wrist back....plus I started developing some nasty carpal tunnel

I'm looking into Storms Gadget positioner....it's more expensive than the RevII...but you can replace the lining with inserts.

Coach 3G
06-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I actually just wrote an article on my site about wrist supports. I'm not a big fan of them, especially at the youth level for anything beyond a training aid. I love being able to manipulate ball roll with just adjusting my wrist positions. Has anyone that started using a wrist support ever gone back to no support?

I see jmaineville has, how were you able to strengthen your wrist and eliminate the use of the support? Just by bowling?

I like DougB's hybrid approach where you only use it when you feel advantageous and you ditch it when the conditions are right for a non wrist supported release, because at least you have some options that way.

I just feel like they are very limiting and can hamper someone that wants to bowl at an elite level (i.e. pba leagues, collegiate tournaments, and beyond)

I'd say there are bigger fish to fry in terms of the integrity of the sport. How about we start with the walled up oil patterns?

jmainville
06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
At the time I was a mechanic at a local bowling alley and had access to bowling 24/7 I strenghtened by throwing 200+ games a week. I only throw 12 or so games a week now but still wouldnt go back to a wrist supporter.

manningm
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
DP,

I am currently using the Turbo 2 N 1 Grips Bulldog Gold Wrist Support. I like it because it gives me extra support and is very light in weight. I have used many others in the past. This one works well for me.

Mike Manning

playbowl
06-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I had an opportunity to use a Gadget this last Sunday for a few shots left handed. It was set on "zero" and I was able to get a little better reaction than without. Maybe 4 boards of hook but more impressive for me was the added speed that moved the breakpoint down the lane further. I have seen a similar result right handed with more speed but not necessarily more hook. I will sometimes use a Robbys support with no metal at all during warmups to avoid overstressing the tendons. Once loosened up the training aid goes back in the bag.
If you "need" a wrist support to bowl effectively it is probably a sign that there is a grip problem, release problem, over training or the most overlooked culprit - insufficient recovery time.