PDA

View Full Version : question on equipment for my grandparents!!!

stigmata
06-07-2009, 03:14 PM
hey everyone, i have a few questions about what balls would be a good start for my grandparents since they want to get back into bowling, and possibly join a league with me....

well #1 are there any weight limits on balls to be legal (minimum) cause my grandfather had his collar bone removed and lost alot of "support" strength....i told him a properly drilled 10lb should work and my grandmother also has lost strength so maybe a 8lb for her....

#2 - whats a good ball to start with? they really liked the viz-a-balls

#3-since my grandfather does not have a collar bone, does anyone know of a support of some type that can stabilize his shoulder to keep it from dropping?

thanks for all & any help......

JaxBowlingGuy
06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
#1- the weights you mentioned are both legal

#2 as for the ball type it sounds like it really wouldnt matter. The viz-a-ball would be fine

#3 now this one im not too sure about... I havent heard of anything but thats not saying that there isnt.

stigmata
06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
thanks StormBowler13 .....i have been searching trying to find something..and have run across a few things that may work

PSBA10
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
When you get under 13# I don't think the ball matters that much. I believe they all have a very basic pancake weight block.

That being said, I suggest having them both try different weights of house balls to find a comfortable weight. Once that is established, you can buy and have whatever ball/s you choose and have them drilled.

Jord_84
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
#3-since my grandfather does not have a collar bone, does anyone know of a support of some type that can stabilize his shoulder to keep it from dropping?
This popped into my head when you mentioned that:
http://spineshoppe.com/library/PlatinumShoulderBrace.jpg
I'm not sure what it could do for your grandfather, I've never used one, but it might be worth checking into. There are several variations of that style of support, some look like a sleeve made out of neoprene, some wrap around the waist and up over the shoulders.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.

stigmata
06-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Jord_84-that is exactly what i was lookin at...also the one that is similar to that picture but goes over both arms almost as if it used your opposite side for strength......and im going to "try" to get my grandfather to use a 12lb, and grandma to use a 10lb.......but something with somewhat of a core

Jord_84
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
what about an ebonite gyro?
It's has three-piece pancake core construction with a reactive veneer.

low hook potential....but if you get them throwing stroker style, maybe standing at the 7th or 8th board and have them pitch over 2nd arrow, they'd get just enough hook from the gyro to get it in the pocket.

gyro's are older balls, I remember a lot of kids in high school just learning to throw a hook using them.
you could probably pick one up in a pro shop or online for cheap.

stigmata
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
well he ended up with a ebonite tornado in 10lb......and he is lookin into the shoulder support through his doctor:D