PDA

View Full Version : PBA Hall of Famer Mark Roth Begins Recovery After Stroke

onefrombills
06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
PBA Communications

SEATTLE, Wash. (June 4, 2009) - Mark Roth, recently ranked No. 5 on a list of the Professional Bowlers Association's 50 greatest players in the organization's first 50 years, has suffered a stroke which has left him partially paralyzed on his left side.

Roth, 58, was admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital in Syracuse, N.Y., on Sunday, his wife Denise said, after feeling ill for several days.

"He's brighter today," she said Thursday. "His (left) leg is showing a little improvement. He told me he's going to walk again and I believe him. He has the will power to do it."

Denise Roth said her husband will be transferred to a rehabilitation facility in the Syracuse area as early as Friday where he will begin a lengthy recovery process.

"Mark and I both want to extend a heartfelt thank you to everyone, from the bottoms of our hearts. The out-pouring of affection and concern and well wishes has been overwhelming," she added.

Roth, who owns 34 PBA Tour titles and a pair of Senior Tour titles, is widely considered the player who introduced the "power game" to bowling. The Fulton, N.Y., resident was inducted into the United States Bowling Congress Hall of Fame on May 1 in Reno, Nev.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: Denise Roth has asked that well-wishers not send any additional flowers or cards until Mark is moved. She will advise the PBA as soon as she knows his new address. His contact information will then be posted on pba.com).