PDA

View Full Version : Who is exempt this season on the 2009-10 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour?

onefrombills
06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Mike J. Laneside
Seattle, Wash. - 6/2/2009

I found myself scratching my head at the thought and I bet some of you are too.

Exemptions can be earned through winning a Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour event, qualifying through the season points list or by earning an exemption through the PBA Tour Trials or Regional Players Invitational.

For PBA’s World Series of Bowling, 58 players have already earned their exemptions with the Golden Parachute exemption yet to be named. Add three International exemptions (Osku Palermaa has already earned one as the European Tour’s Top Points Leader) plus the 10 Tour Qualifying Round spots which will be up for grabs at each event to complete an expanded 72-bowler field.

During the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour regular season, the 58 players and the Golden Parachute will join five Tour Qualifying Round winners to make the 64-player field.

2009-10 PBA World Series of Bowling Fields (72)
(58 exempt players plus Golden Parachute exemption, 3 international exemptions and 10 Tour Qualifying Round spots)

2009-10 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour Fields (64)
(58 exempt players plus Golden Parachute exemption and 5 Tour Qualifying Round spots)

Here are the 58 players who have already earned their 2009-10 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season exemptions:

Patrick Allen – Wesley Chapel, Fla.
Ritchie Allen – Columbia, S.C.
Brad Angelo – Lockport, N.Y.
Dave Arnold – Reno, Nev.
Chris Barnes – Double Oak, Texas
Mitch Beasley – Puyallup, Wash.
Jason Belmonte – Australia
Parker Bohn III – Jackson, N.J.
Nathan Bohr – Wichita, Kan.
Todd Book – Wapakoneta, Ohio
Jeff Carter – Springfield, Ill.
Dino Castillo – Carrollton, Texas
Joe Ciccone – Buffalo, N.Y.
Jason Couch – Clermont, Fla.
Tommy DeLutz, Jr. – Flushing, N.Y.
Mike DeVaney – San Diego
Norm Duke – Clermont, Fla.
Steve Harman – Indianapolis
Mike Edwards – Tulsa, Okla.
Michael Fagan – Patchogue, N.Y.
Wayne Garber – Modesto, Calif.
P.J. Haggerty – Clovis, Calif.
Michael Haugen Jr. – Carefree, Ariz.
Steve Jaros – Yorkville, Ill.
Tommy Jones – Simpsonville, S.C.
Jack Jurek – Lackawanna, N.Y.
Doug Kent – Newark, N.Y.
Mika Koivuniemi – Hartland, Mich.
Brian Kretzer – Dayton, Ohio
George Lambert IV – Canada
Chris Loschetter – Avon, Ohio
Michael Machuga – Erie, Pa.
Tim Mack – Indianapolis
Wes Malott – Pflugerville, Texas
John May – Lincolnton, N.C.
Eugene McCune – Munster, Ind.
John Nolen – Waterford, Mich.
Bill O'Neill – Southampton, Pa.
Rhino Page – Topeka, Kan.
Sean Rash – Wichita, Kan.
Ronnie Russell – Indianapolis
Derek Sapp – Keokuk, Iowa
Cassidy Schaub – Ashland, Ohio
Mike Scroggins – Amarillo, Texas
Ryan Shafer – Horseheads, N.Y.
Thomas Smallwood – Flushing, Mich.
Robert Smith – Columbus, Ohio
Jason Sterner – McDonough, Ga.
Edward VanDaniker Jr. – Essex, Md.
Brian Waliczek – Birch Run, Mich.
Lonnie Waliczek – Wichita, Kan.
Pete Weber – St. Ann, Mo.
Stevie Weber – Chalmette, La.
Stuart Williams – England
Walter Ray Williams Jr. – Ocala, Fla.
Danny Wiseman – Baltimore
Mike Wolfe – New Albany, Ind.
Troy Wollenbecker – Miami

dougb
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I've wanted to ask this question for awhile: what does being exempt mean in the PBA?

mrbill
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I Think it means that you don't have to pay for any fees through out the entire season.
But i'm just guessing:confused:

Jamski
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm guessing too, but I believe what it means is that you don't have to go through the qualifying rounds to make the field. Kinda like in NASCAR, where the top 35 in points don't have to qualify to make the show (which really, really stinks if you ask me, but that's for another time and place... :p).

Wikipedia isn't the best source I Know of, but this article seems pretty sound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Bowlers_Association).

onefrombills
06-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Qualifying for the Tour

From the PBA Tour's inception through the 2003-04 season, most national PBA events were open to the entire PBA membership. Starting in October 2004, the PBA adopted an all-exempt national tour format. In this format, only 64 bowlers compete each week. Bowlers can earn exemptions by winning a tournament during the previous season, winning one of the four major tournaments (thus gaining a multi-year exemption), placing among the top finishers in points, leading a region[2] on the PBA Regional Tour, or finishing in a high position at the PBA Tour Trials.

Under this new format, bona fide status as a touring professional is not a guarantee; it must be earned. The 2005 Tournament Of Champions was pivotal, as Randy Pedersen was facing elimination of his tour card in the semi-final match against Norm Duke. On his final shot, Pedersen left a ringing 10-pin and immediately singled out the sidelines, accusing a spectator of distracting him as he made his shot. From that point, Pedersen would have to bowl in the Tour Qualifying Round (TQR) in order to try making the initial field of 64.

Ironically, Duke faced a similar fate in the 2007-08 season, but prevailed. Standing 51st on the PBA points list entering the 2008 Denny's World Championship, he defeated all-time titles leader Walter Ray Williams in the semifinals, then topped Ryan Shafer in the finals to maintain his Tour exemption for another two years.

Criticism of the format was brought forth by long-time PBA fans when popular 24-time winner Brian Voss lost his tour exemption following the 2006-07 season. Nineteen-time titlist Amleto Monacelli also lost his exemption at the same time.

In total, 58 bowlers received exempt status for the entire 2008-09 season. The six remaining spots are awarded each week through the PBA Tour Qualifying Round (TQR). Prior to 2007-08, PBA Commissioner Fred Schreyer would regularly award one spot to a former touring pro under the Commissioner's Exemption. This option was rarely used during the 2007-08 season, and only a few times during the current season. For example, PBA Hall of Famer and Medford, OR resident Marshall Holman competed on a commissioner's exemption at the Bayer Earl Anthony Medford Classic in January 2009.[3]

During the TQR, amateur and PBA bowlers bowl 7 games of qualifying. The top amateur bowler advances (no matter where he or she finishes), along with the top five PBA members. In the 2007-08 PBA season, rookie Rhino Page made a remarkable five TV finals appearances (winning one title) despite having to bowl in the TQR every week.

Jamski
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Well, what do you know. Still nobody from Tennessee.

Still...I can claim Wolfe, I used to live in New Albany...McCune too, because his school was our arch-rival where I grew up in NW Indiana...