PDA

View Full Version : MOTIV GT1 Review

mcslug
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
First and foremost I'd like to thank Scott Hewitt and the staff at Motiv for all of their help,
expertise, and advice on their equipment. The equipment brings you in, the quality of people
bring you back!

I received the GT1 this past week (06-08-2009) and punched it up yesterday (06-09-2009). I
went with a 4.5 x 2 x 4.5 (for dual angle layouts it's basically at 45 x 4.5 x 45). The pin is
just above the ring finger with the cg about an inch and a half below the ring finger. I went
with this layout to give me flip and continuation that is controllable on the PBA and sport
shot patterns.

I threw 10 games with this ball in one day on two conditions, a standard house shot, and a
fresh Viper shot in my PBA experience league.

I will start my review by stating the following, this ball will be a contender for ball of the
year without a doubt. All you Virtual Gravity lovers out there need to do yourselves a favor
and pick up one of these amazing pieces of equipment! It'll make you think twice come voting
time on which is the best ball of the year.

Reaction (House Shot):
The GT1 eases through the heads and reads the midlane incredibly. The move off of the break
point is a two phase move, quick flip as it changes direction, and then continuation through
the backends. It's the quintessential FLIP-ROLL look that so many pieces of equipment try and
create. This reaction shape allowed me to play the entire lane, anywhere from straight up 5 to
swinging out to the 10 board from deep inside around 35. There was no loss of reaction as I
moved in and the GT1 seems to read the midlane better the deeper you move in. Slight hand
position changes from side roll to forward roll allow you to really adjust break points from
outside to in and the GT1 continues and carries pins regardless of where I play. It is no
stranger to oil so crankers and tweeners who stay away from the track will find this the best
go to ball.

Reaction (PBA Viper pattern):
I primarily concentrated on 2 lines with this ball. The first was my left foot on 18 with a
breakpoint target of the 4 board. Laying the ball down around 10 and pushing it out the 4
board gave the midlane read I really needed to get the ball down the lane. The turn around the
corner was unbelievable, no under reaction, only over if anything. If I missed right it would
hang in the oil and the recovery of the flip on the breakpoint was incredible. I'll reference
the Virtual Gravity again, my impression of that ball was great when I saw its flip to roll
recovery. The GT1 in my eyes puts any ball to shame with that type of shape.

The second line I concentrated on was my left foot on 28 and a breakpoint target of 6. I was
laying the ball down around 15 and pushing through to the 6 board. This is the line where the
GT1 really shined. As impressive as it was playing the outside the inside track really allowed
me to open up the lanes. It recovered from everywhere and being able to visually see the flip
movement off the point allowed me to fully control my tilt and roll inside. If I left 2 10
pins across 4 games it was a lot and the pin hitting power is unbelievable.

The Cover:
What impresses me the most about this ball is with it's strong cover combination and chemical
make up it really does not polish up from oil at all. The Virtual Gravity, Rogue Cell, Break
Point, and other balls with similar reactions all polish up like crazy for me. After just 3
games with them I need to take an abralon pad and some dulling conditioner to them. I have 10
games on my GT1 and it's as dull as it was when I brought it out of the shop, just now with
track lines on it.

Overall impression:
After playing the ball in the out of bounds area of the viper and deep inside on a house shot I
feel safe to conclude that this ball will be the most versatile and go to ball on any shot.
This will range anywhere from house shot, to Shark Pattern on PBA, to the nationals longer
higher ratio condition. It'll be the first ball out of my bag and the last ball to leave the
lanes. The visual characteristics of this ball allow you to recognize those much needed
changes to your hand position, speed, and lines that otherwise may go UN-noticed.

Congratulations Motiv, we have another winner!