PDA

View Full Version : Burning up energy

dougb
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I hear this phrase all of the time, usually in connection with the need to put away a strong ball and take something with a weaker/more polished coverstock out of the bag. What does it mean?

bowl1820
06-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I hear this phrase all of the time, usually in connection with the need to put away a strong ball and take something with a weaker/more polished coverstock out of the bag. What does it mean?

That there is too much friction between the ball and the lane, which causes the ball to hook early, causing it to lose energy and roll out.

When you make a shot, the ball goes through three stages Skid, Hook and Roll.(which is harder to see now a days, because the balls transition through the stages faster.

Skid-
Skid is when the ball is spinning (rotating) perpendicular to the direction of travel. Which causes the ball to hydroplane on the oil that's on the lane. Like a car tire sliding on wet pavement.

During this period it is storing energy, to release it when it hits the dry. To make that hard turn and hit the pins hard.

Hook-
Is when the ball starts to come out of the oil and encounters the friction of the dry lane. It then stops skidding and starts to change direction and go into a forward roll toward the pins.

This is when that energy starts to kick in, it's like spinning your car wheels. They spin till they get a grip on the road and the car takes off.

Roll-
Roll is when the ball is rolling parallel to the direction of travel, a forward roll. The energy is falling off and the ball starts slowing down.

If the ball is too aggressive, the hook and roll will happen to early (Burn up). So by the time the ball hit the pins, it will have lost most of its energy and will carry weakly. Or it won't quite make the turn toward the pocket and leave a washout or something.

That's the thing a lot of bowler's don't get. They think they are bowling on heavy oil because their ball isn't hooking and they want a stronger ball. But a lot of times they are bowling on a dryer shot and they need to use a weaker ball or one with more skid, so it retains energy longer.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-12-2009, 02:52 PM
couldnt of said it better myself... I was hopeing that you forgot something so i could chime in but..nooooo..lol but as you see i still got my "chime" haha :-)

bowl1820
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Heres a article talking about it also.
Kegel white that talks about it also (http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=49)

Here's a video example from the paper-( though I think there could be a better one)

You-Tube Video Example Chris Barnes and a 5-7-10 split (http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=49)

kev3inp
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
The only thing I'd pick at is the direction of rotation during the skid isn't necessarily perpendicular. That would mean at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, and I don't think everybody does that. I'm pretty sure I don't, but I don't have CATS data to confirm it.

bowl1820
06-12-2009, 07:02 PM
The only thing I'd pick at is the direction of rotation during the skid isn't necessarily perpendicular. That would mean at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, and I don't think everybody does that. I'm pretty sure I don't, but I don't have CATS data to confirm it.

I used perpendicular cause I remembered seeing it in a definition of skid in a older bowling book or magazine (I'm looking now to see if I can find it). I believe it is a off shoot from this definition-

"Axis of rotation. Imaginary line, perpendicular to the track, along which a bowling ball rotates around during it’s initial revolution after the bowlers release."

But I guess you could say at a angle different than the direction of travel.

Or heres another definition for you from Ebonite and several other bowling glossarys.

Skid: The portion of the bowling ball's path in which the velocity of the contact point on the ball is greater than zero, and the ball is not rolling, but is instead sliding down the lane.

whoops heres another one-
Skid: where the translational velocity is greater than the rotational velocity.

dougb
06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
That's the thing a lot of bowler's don't get. They think they are bowling on heavy oil because their ball isn't hooking and they want a stronger ball. But a lot of times they are bowling on a dryer shot and they need to use a weaker ball or one with more skid, so it retains energy longer.

Your explanation made perfect sense -- thanks! I'm learning when to make equipment changes. I know that when the ball hits the pocket and just thuds, or I start leaving a lot of 7s and 10s and no lane adjustments help that it's time for a change.

What type of balls have more skid? Polished and pearls?

JaxBowlingGuy
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
yes, Solids tend to get into a sooner roll.. The polish allows the balls to get further before starting to make the turn on the backends

JAnderson
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
But I guess you could say at a angle different than the direction of travel.

Simple enough and accurate.

The only other minor point is that the ball slows down when it encounters friction. It slows down more when it encounters dry boards than when in conditioner.

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Bump

e-tank
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
That there is too much friction between the ball and the lane, which causes the ball to hook early, causing it to lose energy and roll out.

When you make a shot, the ball goes through three stages Skid, Hook and Roll.(which is harder to see now a days, because the balls transition through the stages faster.

Skid-
Skid is when the ball is spinning (rotating) perpendicular to the direction of travel. Which causes the ball to hydroplane on the oil that's on the lane. Like a car tire sliding on wet pavement.

During this period it is storing energy, to release it when it hits the dry. To make that hard turn and hit the pins hard.

Hook-
Is when the ball starts to come out of the oil and encounters the friction of the dry lane. It then stops skidding and starts to change direction and go into a forward roll toward the pins.

This is when that energy starts to kick in, it's like spinning your car wheels. They spin till they get a grip on the road and the car takes off.

Roll-
Roll is when the ball is rolling parallel to the direction of travel, a forward roll. The energy is falling off and the ball starts slowing down.

If the ball is too aggressive, the hook and roll will happen to early (Burn up). So by the time the ball hit the pins, it will have lost most of its energy and will carry weakly. Or it won't quite make the turn toward the pocket and leave a washout or something.

just wanted to bump this and say thanks bowl. I googled this topic and this was the first result and you explained it perfectly and it a way i could understand. My heavy oil ball was def burning up a couple days ago.

sprocket
03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I just wanted to add that the best carrying ball is one that is no longer hooking as it hits the pins. It needs to be in the roll phase, rolling in a straight line, but not rolled out. True roll out only happens when the balls rotation axis and tilt both equal zero. Then the ball is just lazily rolling end over end and has no more stored energy. "Hook" can very much be an illusion. When viewed from the foul line a ball that is rolling diagonal to the lane can appear to be hooking, when actually it is in the roll phase and is rolling in a straight line.

Often times an aggressive ball that hooks early achieves a very poor entry angle. Even if it hasn't rolled out, the entry angle is too shallow and therefore it won't carry. This makes it look like the ball has rolled out. It is very possible to use an aggressive ball, play far enough right, have the ball hook early, and carry all day long. There's a guy on my league who does this. He starts the ball up the far outside and his rotation is quite end over end. The ball start to move early but is very controlled. His entry angle ends up being superb! But if he moves in a little further as the lanes dry up, he may have to change rotation or change balls or his carry can suffer.

sprocket
03-17-2013, 05:33 PM
One more thing since I can't seem to edit my previous post:

In the old days the bowling physicists would demonstrate the perfect entry angle by setting a ramp right in front of the pins and then rolling a 16lb hard rubber ball end over end down the ramp. Once the ramp was in the right place at the right angle, carry was 100%. They didn't need "Throwbot" to do that. How important was cover stock? How important was RPM? How important was it whether the ball was rolled out or not? None of that mattered. The only things that mattered were ball speed, ball weight, entry position, and entry angle. Everything else is just a means to achieve those ends.