PDA

View Full Version : bowling equipment

lefty
06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Hello, as some of u know, im new here, and have recently got into bowling. I have no equipment of my own.
So my question is, I need shoes and my own bowling ball, but how do i know what brands to get, since i'm not knowledgeable enough to decide on which is best for me?
As for now, i bowl with a 14lb Pro Max, that i got from a friend, but i don't use the thumb.....Any help would be appreciated.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Really its up to you.. All companies have entry level balls as well as high performance... I personally throw Storm products.. But its really up to you.. Your local pro shop could also give you a better idea as to a good fit for you.. They can watch you bowl and go from there..

mrbill
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Hello, as some of u know, im new here, and have recently got into bowling. I have no equipment of my own.
So my question is, I need shoes and my own bowling ball, but how do i know what brands to get, since i'm not knowledgeable enough to decide on which is best for me?
As for now, i bowl with a 14lb Pro Max, that i got from a friend, but i don't use the thumb.....Any help would be appreciated.

I was like you some months back, What I did was get a ball, shoes and bag from craigs list for like $30.00 bucks.
Then get your local pro shop to fill and drill for like $30.00
Or you can find a cheap ball at your pro shop they most times and a package deal ball,bag and shoes for like $100.00 and they drill it for you for free.
Now what kind you get, is all about looking whats out there then looking that ball up on the internet of ask the pro shop.
I hope that helps a little:)

PSBA10
06-18-2009, 11:45 PM
MrBill's suggestion of visiting your local pro shop is a very good idea. Over and above fitting and drilling your equipment most pro shops can, and do give basic lessons. This would be money well spent.

If you like the sport, I suggest you learn to bowl using your thumb. Many have tried bowling without a thumb, and a few were actually successful. Most however have developed either serious pain and/or accuracy problems that have destroyed their game. If learned correctly one can participate in this sport for life.

lefty
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanx for the replies....
Also, what makes a ball left or right handed? Is it just the thumb, or is there other things that determine that.......
I also noticed after watching bowling on ESPN a lot lately, that almost everyone throws the ball with there own style. With that said, how is one to train someone the proper way, when everyone is different?.......
Starting tomorrow night, im going to post my scores each week. This way everyone can see how i do and get an average since i don't even know what mine is.........

bowl1820
06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanx for the replies....
Also, what makes a ball left or right handed? Is it just the thumb, or is there other things that determine that.......

How the ball is layed out (pin placement, cg, mass bias) determines if it's left or right handed.

I also noticed after watching bowling on ESPN a lot lately, that almost everyone throws the ball with there own style. With that said, how is one to train someone the proper way, when everyone is different?.......
Starting tomorrow night, im going to post my scores each week. This way everyone can see how i do and get an average since i don't even know what mine is.........

While everyone has their own style of bowling, they are all based on the same basic principles. These are what you would learn from a coach and as you progress you'll develop your own style from these basic's.

lefty
06-20-2009, 01:14 AM
I see......Man i have a lot to learn and catchup on. So much to learn on what i thought was so simple.
How hard could it be. All u have to do is throw the ball...lol

Oh well, it's fun to learn.....

mrbill
06-20-2009, 03:21 AM
I see......Man i have a lot to learn and catchup on. So much to learn on what i thought was so simple.
How hard could it be. All u have to do is throw the ball...lol

Oh well, it's fun to learn.....

Yeah I thought the same thing when I got back into bowling after a 20 or more year lay off:rolleyes:
At first when I got back into the sport of bowling I was getting 180's and 190's and I was saying to my self wow this is easy with some practice I can be a pro:cool:
Well after What I can only call my Newbie Energy wore off and I had to think about my approach,slide, release, and my 20 year old gear, that is when I laughed and Thought again
"How hard could it be. All u have to do is throw the ball...lol":eek:

ebowler
06-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I took off 30 years, and then remembered how much I really like to bowl. After six months of 7-10 games a week, and an average of high 180's, I realized theres more to this game then I thought.

Took my first lesson the other day, and wow, my approach really needs work. My instructor Avery Le Blanc, is great. He spent 29 years in the PBA,is retired and in no hurry to rush you through.

Like most people, I thought I could just watch others, ask questions, and teach myself by just continuing to bowl over and over. Boy was I wrong. All I did was to train my mussels to repeat the same wrong moves over and over again, now I have to erase that, and start over.

Before you get to far, I strongly suggest finding a good instructor.

lefty
06-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Alright then, how do i know if an instructor is good? I ask this because in past experiences in life, u can only be as good as the teacher.......
Plus since i have been bowling basically every Saturday night during rock-a-bowl, I'm used to the lights being out and listening to music. I wonder how i will do during a normal bowling environment with lights and no music....lol

mrbill
06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Alright then, how do i know if an instructor is good? I ask this because in past experiences in life, u can only be as good as the teacher.......
Plus since i have been bowling basically every Saturday night during rock-a-bowl, I'm used to the lights being out and listening to music. I wonder how i will do during a normal bowling environment with lights and no music....lol

This is a good Topic for a new Thread.
But here and now My Idea of a good teacher is. ( and for the record I never had a bowling coach)
1. You must respect your coach.
2. They need to teach all the basics.. IE Stance, Grip, Approach, Back Swing, Slide, Release, Follow through.
3. Then theirs the mind game.
4. And exercise's you can do at home.
5. And a good Coach will know what and when your ready to learn the above (and a lot more)

I tape my self and watch it back to see what i need to learn, But a coach would be a lot faster I'm guessing.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
thread started.. subscribe to that one to get everyones idea of a good coach

http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthread.php?t=3651

lefty
06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Okay then, i will start asking around tonight, while i'm bowling......
I also have noticed, that people say they get tired and or wore out after a few games, but i probably bowl about 9 or 10 games on a typical saturday night, and at 1am when they shut down, i feel like im ready to bowl another 3 hours....It seems like i could bowl 24 hours straight.....lol

JaxBowlingGuy
06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
i used to be like that too... alot has to do with style and if they are forcing the shot and not lettin gravity (backswing) do the work