PDA

View Full Version : On the Lanes with Kassy Golden

onefrombills
06-19-2009, 04:32 AM
In the coming months, we'll talk with some of best-known bowlers at the USBC Open Championships and get their thoughts on their time at the tournament and what it takes to succeed on the championship lanes.

This week, we heard from Kassy Golden, who will be in Las Vegas to compete in this year's event on June 21 and 22.

Golden was a Team USA member in 1999 and 2000 and helped lead the United States to the gold medal at the 2000 FIQ World Tenpin Team Cup. She also was a two-time All-American while bowling for Wichita State University from 1995-1999.

The 32-year-old right-hander is the sister of 11-time Team USA member and USBC Youth spokesperson Diandra Asbaty. The two grew up in Dyer, Ind., where they honed their skills with nightly practice sessions before heading off to rival colleges. Asbaty earned All-America honors and two national championships while competing for the University of Nebraska.

Golden will be making her third Open Championships appearance.

HOMETOWN: Colorado Springs, Colo.

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS APPEARANCES: Three

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS TITLES: 0

BOWLING BALL WEIGHT: 15

FAVORITE BRAND OF BOWLING BALLS: Storm

ONE all-time favorite host city: Las Vegas

TWO best Open Championships memories: 1, FINALLY getting the chance to bowl with my sister on the same team in a national event! 2, Placing eighth in doubles with Scott Norton back in the day.

THREE keys to success at the Open Championships: 1, Have fun; 2, communicate; 3, relax

FOURgettable Open Championships moment: I don't have one yet.

FIVE bowlers in history on your Open Championships fantasy all-star team: Marshall Holman, David Ozio, Mark Roth, Mike Aulby and Norm Duke.

SIX bowling balls currently in your Open Championships arsenal: Storm Dimension, Storm Paradigm, Storm Spare, Brunswick Copperhead, Brunswick Rattler (I'm only bringing five out there. I may bring one more back).

SEVEN cities you'd like to see the Open Championships go to/return to: Colorado Springs, Chicago, Orlando, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas

EIGHT favorite bowling balls ever: AMF Cobra, AMF Ammo, Storm Dimension, Storm Double Agent, Team Storm Spare, Brunswick Inferno, Brunswick Rattler, Storm Paradigm

NINE other current/eligible bowlers you would choose to join you on your ideal pair of companion teams at the Open Championships: Diandra Asbaty, Marcia Kloempken, Kari Schwager, Paola Gomez, myself (current team) and Art Brown, Chris Hester, Mark Siders, Mark Clark, Brian Hatcher (current crossing team). Why would I change it up?

TEN seconds or less, who is your favorite bowler of all-time?: Marshall Holman

ELEVEN strikes in a row to start a game at the Open Championships, what's
going through your head?: See it.....hit it.

TWELVE years from now, where do you hope to be in your bowling career?: Coaching my kids