PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Issues

LeftyLuck7
06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey All,

New to this site and wanted to try this as last ditch effort to try fix my thumb problem before I probley quit Bowling all together.

Basically I have a problem where I am always ribbing my thumb. It peels the skin bleeds, forms get hard and rip it again next week.

Bowler Information:
-I bowl in the Greater Cleveland Ohio area.
-Left Handed
-Generally Only throw Hammer’s (Have Psycho, Black Widow, Venon, and will be getting Hot Sauce and Sting if I continue bowling).
-Considered to be a cranker.
-No physical Disabilities.
- AVG 180+ bowler, throwing on normal lane conditions.

Ok, now for thumb ripping description. If you are sticking your thumb up in the air(looking at the side with your finger nail) and you bend it down. So your finger knuckle is in the air. The tears are happening about half an inch from the finger knuckle between 4 and 5 o’clock. They are red/ irritated and are roughly the size of a penny.

Since I have been paying for my own balls I would go buy 3-4 White Dots(for money reasons) I would also pay for different ball drillers to drill them to hook and explain my situation to them. They would watch me throw a game and everyone would say they know the answer. I have gone to over 2 dozen different pro shops in Cleveland trying to find someone that could drill a ball :) . That’s when it dawned on me that the issues is probley something I am doing wrong with my release.

I have had people watch me and they cannot see an error in my approach/ release and everyone assumed it was ball driller. I have recently started using "new skin" every time I go bowling as a pro-active way to save my thumb when bowling more then three games. I have no idea what is happening and was wondering if anyone here could help in trying to correct this problem for me.

Thank in advance.

_Tried to give as much information as possible above if anyone needs more or has any questions to try and help the cause please think out loud. I will try anything at this point.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-22-2009, 08:54 AM
have you tried something as simple as using bowlers tape directly on your thumb? new skin in my opinion isnt the best of stuff... i actually perfer superglue... also there is a product out call thumb saver... i think bowlingball.com carries it... not sure who makes it but you could do a search... with either of those you may have to open up your thumb hole some, but if it fixes the problem then it would be worth it... i would try it on 1 all and if it works go frm there....

LeftyLuck7
06-22-2009, 09:17 AM
have you tried something as simple as using bowlers tape directly on your thumb? new skin in my opinion isnt the best of stuff... i actually perfer superglue... also there is a product out call thumb saver... i think bowlingball.com carries it... not sure who makes it but you could do a search... with either of those you may have to open up your thumb hole some, but if it fixes the problem then it would be worth it... i would try it on 1 all and if it works go frm there....

Forgot to mentioned I do bowl with Finger tips and Thumb slug.

I have put tape in my thumb hole as well on my thumb. When I put tape on my thumb I find every other game it is coming off. I do not know if it was the tape or the user(me) putting it on?

I had my thumb opened up and It works until my tumb swells and I keep opening it up. It just seems like a constant struggle I am facing.

I am really hoping to find a solution that fits. I will try super glue this week and see if that does that trick. Would you reckomend putting that Nylon Pad (found in the New Skin) on with that aswell?

JaxBowlingGuy
06-22-2009, 09:27 AM
i dont.. i found that pad actually makes it come off easier than applying it straight to the skin... and with the tape, try wrapping it like the people usually do when they have conventional fingertips... that way it will stay put better....another thing could be to try putting velcro (spelling) in the hold.. the softer side. usually the glue on theback of that wont come off.. i know i had a piece in my spare ball for years.. then it wore out and had to scrape it out.. it will tighten your thumb hole but its actually prety comfortable..

JaxBowlingGuy
06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
as for super glue..i forgot to mention... the best that i have found is crazy glue.. the one i use, i got from walmart... red cap..green label.. long top (actually bought to glue inserts).. it works wonders.. i have even used it for homemade patch jobs and works good.. i have glued my hand to balls many of times so i know it holds and it seems to dry the fastest of any glue i have used.. you for sure dont wanna stick your fresh glued finger into a thumb hole and have it stick..lol funny yes..but i can imagine not the best feeling when the ball doesnt come off.. ha

LeftyLuck7
06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks alot for the info. I am going to be getting a ball drilled today ironically enough from another pro shop I have never had a ball drilled at. With the taped thumb or "crazy glue" would a thumb slug make a difference?

I am going to have the ball drilled with either of them on so it is not too tight that more swelling occrus. I am just wondering if the thumb slug could be part of the problem?

I was at the peterson tourney in Chicago last year and I saw a bunch of people taping their thumbs, completly covering them. Are they useing the same tape you put in balls or is their a unique texture/tape, I should be looking for today when I head into the pro shop? I have a feeling their is 5-10 differnt types of tape and everyone has their own unique style. Looking for a generalized answer so when I head in there today I dont look like 100% un-educated when I ask this guy for the product.

playbowl
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
LeftyLuck7

Without measuring your hand and ball it is just a guess what the root cause is for your thumb injury. My initial thought from your description is too big of a thumb hole causing knuckling. (Common problem) You would need a larger thumb hole if your thumb was not exiting cleanly which can be caused by incorrect pitches, insert or span. Thumbs and hands swell due to "trauma". After 24 pro shops worked on your equipment I would lean more toward what you are doing at release. That is not to say there are not issues with the equipment. I have written here before that it is possible to "open" your hand without the ball falling off your hand until it reaches your ankle at release. If you have to "time the letting go" right to roll the ball there is a problem with the ball because of excessive grip pressure. The best temporary fixes are as described above as well as the different thumb tapes but bleeding is not part of bowling.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
hmmm tapes... where to begin... well i know ebonite makes a roll of tape that you jus cut to size.. the west bet to wrap a thumb would be to get a roll as opposed to the tape to go in the holes.. the ebonite tape is blue.. ill use it every now and then with one of my conventional fingertip ball...

as for the slug, i would think that it would help keep it smooth and not cut.. but the idea of the thumb being too big is a good one... if thats the case then you can load it with tape or wrap your thumb like you are goin to try.. then as your thumb swells you can remove some of the take... if you have a bad swelling problem you could always try the interchangable thumb slugs.. i really dont care too much for them but that could work as well.. that way you get 1 hole that you really like and you can use it in all your alls just by twisting it out...

LeftyLuck7
06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I have always thought and still do it is something that I am doing at or before the realese.

If imfact I am "knuckleing" what steps would someone take to correct this? Is it literly slowing down the entire approach and sorta rebuilding the fundamentals?

I love bowling this just has always been an issue for me. I thought about a wrist guard but I figured it wouldnt do much for my thumb.

As of right now my thumb is ripped. I am going to call and go to another pro shop today with the wound and see if the pro can give any tips. Will post any results here.

Thanks to everyone for your repounces really apreciate it.

LL7

JaxBowlingGuy
06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
hey thats what we are here for..lol be sure to keep us posted..

bowl1820
06-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Just some of my observation's.

First that's a fit problem, go to the jayhawk fitting page and look at the Fit Problems charts . Find the one closest to your problem. This will give you a place to start in getting the fit right. (if you check there let us know which is closest to your problem area.)

Click Here Fitting Tips (http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html)

Next you've been to 2 dozen pro-shop's!! pick the one you liked the best and stick with him for a while to work on the fit.

your using thumb slugs, it would be easy to remove slugs and drill a new one to make changes to the thumb size & pitches.

Your not going to work out a fit problem going to a new guy all the time. Fit problems can take time to work out and you need some one to work out those problems. that you don't have to keep getting them up to speed on what the problem is.

Tapes, glue, Velcro, new skin are for emergencies or for minor tweaking of fit. Not as a cure for a problem.

Once you get the fit correct your thumb won't be getting hurt, the swelling shouldn't be as big problem.

Plus you will find your release well improve because you get out of the properly.

Also once you get the fit right you should have it checked once a year, your hand changes over time.

NoTapNorm
06-23-2009, 06:03 AM
If I have problems with the thumb coming out of the ball, I use chap-stick on the back of the thumb to help it slide out. If you use the medicated kind, it helps heal too!!! (haha)

LeftyLuck7
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
If I have problems with the thumb coming out of the ball, I use chap-stick on the back of the thumb to help it slide out. If you use the medicated kind, it helps heal too!!! (haha)

Haha I will have to try that if nothing more for curiostys sake!

But on a good note...

I went to the new pro shop last night. First time I have ever met a driller that is going to drill a old house ball for me at no chage and swap thumb slugs until I can bowl 3 games with no irritation or quick fixes. He said he likes to do that vs. him drilling my widow 3-4 times.

So if all goes well next week my thumb should be healed(from Father's Day bowling). And should be pain free bowling for the first time in years :D

I mentioned the term knuckling, which I never heard prior to this forum site and he knew exactly what I was talking about. So thank you every one for helping me with this issue.

LL7

playbowl
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
LeftyLuck7

Pro shop rule of thumb is move pitch in the direction of the injury

manningm
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
LL7,

It seems you have received some good advice from several board members. I hope the issue has been resolved. I iproblem was the wrong thumb pitch as well. My problem is opposite of yours. My thumb shrinks from the time I start until I finish. I normally add a strip of protecting to fill the gap and maintain a consistent feel.

Mike Manning

sebchbum
07-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey All,

New to this site and wanted to try this as last ditch effort to try fix my thumb problem before I probley quit Bowling all together.

Basically I have a problem where I am always ribbing my thumb. It peels the skin bleeds, forms get hard and rip it again next week.

Bowler Information:
-I bowl in the Greater Cleveland Ohio area.
-Left Handed
-Generally Only throw Hammer’s (Have Psycho, Black Widow, Venon, and will be getting Hot Sauce and Sting if I continue bowling).
-Considered to be a cranker.
-No physical Disabilities.
- AVG 180+ bowler, throwing on normal lane conditions.

Ok, now for thumb ripping description. If you are sticking your thumb up in the air(looking at the side with your finger nail) and you bend it down. So your finger knuckle is in the air. The tears are happening about half an inch from the finger knuckle between 4 and 5 o’clock. They are red/ irritated and are roughly the size of a penny.

Since I have been paying for my own balls I would go buy 3-4 White Dots(for money reasons) I would also pay for different ball drillers to drill them to hook and explain my situation to them. They would watch me throw a game and everyone would say they know the answer. I have gone to over 2 dozen different pro shops in Cleveland trying to find someone that could drill a ball :) . That’s when it dawned on me that the issues is probley something I am doing wrong with my release.

I have had people watch me and they cannot see an error in my approach/ release and everyone assumed it was ball driller. I have recently started using "new skin" every time I go bowling as a pro-active way to save my thumb when bowling more then three games. I have no idea what is happening and was wondering if anyone here could help in trying to correct this problem for me.

Thank in advance.

_Tried to give as much information as possible above if anyone needs more or has any questions to try and help the cause please think out loud. I will try anything at this point.

try relaxing hand in ball anpushing your thumb nail to back of thumb hole that will keep your thumb straight in ball and not cause youto grip it by bending thumb....you also might check your side pitch in your thumb....that is ussually the problem

Coach 3G
08-08-2009, 01:41 AM
I'd hate to see anyone quit bowling over something that surely can be rectified. I'd definitely be working with a pro shop operator and or coach to determine the root cause of the problem. Sounds like you already have some great ideas from this forum, but there is nothing like having someone up close who is in the know identifying the problem and offering a solution.

I hope you get that resolved soon.

man40plus
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I too had thumb issues until i purchased a brunswick thumb sleeve.................. give it a try, it made a big difference in my release.