PDA

View Full Version : Twin sisters among five selected for 2009 Earl Anthony Memorial Scholarships

onefrombills
06-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Eryn and Kaila Swain, twin sisters from Bolivar, Mo., are two of the five students selected by the United States Bowling Congress to receive 2009 Earl Anthony Memorial Scholarship awards.

The other three students selected to receive $5,000 scholarships, which recognize youth bowlers' community service and academic achievements are Erica Morgan of Parma, Ohio; Thomas Madrecki of Northbrook, Ill.; and Tyler Walston of Wilson, N.C.

The Swain sisters recently graduated from Pleasant Hope (Mo.) High School, and each had a grade-point average of 3.98.

Kaila Swain, who has been a USBC member since 1997, plans to attend Drake University in the fall and will major in marketing and advertising. She said being involved in the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) "opened my eyes to a world I had not previously considered." She added "the competitions I participated in through FCCLA brought out the creative side of me that I enjoy expressing."

Eryn Swain, who also plans to attend Drake, said she finds nothing quite as rewarding as "placing a smile on someone's face or putting understanding in one's heart." She described how she helped tutor a classmate and the satisfaction of seeing someone break through and understand the subject matter. "I love knowing that my abilities can help other students succeed," Eryn said. On the lanes, Eryn was on a team that took second in Division IV at the 2009 GSM USBC Youth Championship, and she posted the highest scratch series in the Battlefield Lanes Jumping Juniors league this past season.

Morgan recently completed her first year at Wright State (Ohio) University, where she made the Dean's List in the fall and winter quarters. She was on Wright State's bowling team in the first quarter but had to leave the team because of conflicts with school and work. "I love bowling and bowl whenever I can, but my education is what I will need later in life," she said. Morgan added she hasn't given up on bowling in college and hopes to join the team next year "when I am better prepared for the life that college demands."

Madrecki, who was a member of the inaugural Dexter/USBC High School All-American Team, also has seen the college workload cut into his time to bowl competitively, but he still manages to compete in local, state and national USBC events. An Echol's Scholar at the University of Virginia, Madrecki is managing editor of the Cavalier Daily, the student newspaper. His interest in literature and philosophy "taught me that beyond all other imperatives, one remains of utter importance: To continue learning, and always strive for a greater future."

Walston recently graduated from James B. Hunt High School, where he went through the International Baccalaureate program and plans to attend college with a goal of becoming a medical researcher. Tyler does volunteer work at the Brian Center, a local nursing home, and also at his local bowling center where he assists in Pee Wee and Special Needs leagues. Discussing his work with Noah Kids, a league for mentally and physically handicapped bowlers, Tyler said even small achievements are a big deal. "When they knock down pins, everyone in the league - not just the individual - feels the excitement."

The USBC Earl Anthony Memorial Scholarships, named in honor of the legendary pro bowler, are awarded annually to five students who are high school seniors or college students and current USBC or USBC Youth members. Award winners are recognized for their community involvement and academic achievements. Applicants must have a minimum grade-point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, and submit at least two letters of reference and a school transcript.