PDA

View Full Version : switching

bigv295
06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
im thinking about switching from 2 fingered to 3. does anybody have any advice?
i have never bowled 3 fingered. but it seems if i can switch successfully it will bring my avg up.

playbowl
06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I am in the process of learning to bowl 2 handed (no thumb) right handed and use a polyester spare ball and a rubber ball to create the same reaction I will get with my "high performance" balls using my thumb. My revs are too high for the ball speed to throw anything with any traction. I have an emerald Vibe that snaps off the lane at 55'.
I am considering 2 handed as a lefty due to a lack of strength and revs.

mrbill
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
When you start useing 3 fingers it will get worse befor it gets better, but over the long haul your Avg should go up........

Bygnel
07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I am also a two fingered bowler, and am working hard to learn to play all the same lines as I would with a thumb.. I used to be limited to just swinging the ball out to the 1 board and watch it snap back.. Since I moved from thumb to thumbless, my average has gone up almost 50 pins from 149 to 194 this past season.. Now this is over the course of 4+ years of working at it, and I am by no means ready to start relaxing.. But my advice is if you want to go to using a thumb, get yourself a coach to teach you good habits to start with, because you will have to forget everything you know now..

Evilash71
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
i have never bowled 3 fingered. but it seems if i can switch successfully it will bring my avg up.

Im assuming you mean putting your thumb in the ball right?

Evilash71
07-03-2009, 11:18 AM

As dumb as it sounds i would definitely get someone to drill up a ball right, with the thumb done right to begin with. Then I would try with simple releases, coming up the back of the ball throwing more straight. Getting used to the feel. Yes its not exciting but it will get you used to the feel and getting your thumb out of the ball before your fingers. Then try some minor adjustments after a while of slightly turning your hand to about 5 oclock and releasing, and so on until you get it to where you are hooking how you want. The issue is getting comfortable having your thumb in the ball and if you are wanting your average to go up you should learn to throw it straight so you can pick up spares with the ball. So i would start there.

Chow-Chow
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
When I first started hooking the ball. I did it with only the fingers and no thumb using house balls. The reason is that because the hole on the house balls are too close to one another for my hand to feel comfortable with or the holes are to big. After a year of bowling this way. I gotten really used to it and was averaging around 180-190.

Once I got a ball fitted for my hand (about 2-3 months ago). I started using the thumb. I had to tell you that it will take time to get used to. I was averaging around 150. As I kept bowling and practicing. My average went up to 170. I'm still in the process of learning.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I am also a no thumb bowler. But I see it as if you can mater both with and without a thumb you could be great... No thumb for longer heavier patterns and crank the rev rate up.. And the for the shorter or broke down shots drop the thumb in and take a few revs out... That is what I do.. To start on a fresh pattern I won't have it in.. The later in the day as all of my equipments starts to hook I'll put the thumb in and I'm right back in it.