PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Tendon Stress/Pain

mrbill
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
The way I bowl my better games is by putting a little umff and lift and flick during release.
My problem is that my wrist tendon and forearm seem strained and I dont want it to get worse.
I see the PBA guys with big Forearms and I'm not weak by any means, but is there a way or exercise to make the ball seem lighter, and keep bowling like 5 or 6 times a week?
I dont wanna over do it but I need to do something soon:confused:

JaxBowlingGuy
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
you can get a dumbbell and do curls with your bowling arm... my bowling forearm is actually almost double my other... but i guess throwing a 15 lb ball like 30 games a week will do that..lol...

i hate to hear the wrist and tendon pain mentioned.. i tore tendons 2 seasons ago bowling.. had to sit out the summer and am now starting to get back to where i as when i got hurt...just remember ice is your friend... i ice my shoulder, elbow, and wrist everynight after bowling.. Bike make a elbow and shoulder ice wrap that i used to use when i pitched for bseball and now come in handy after bowling... then i just picked up a ice wrap for knees from walgreens or any pharmacy for my wrist/knee

mrbill
07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
you can get a dumbbell and do curls with your bowling arm... my bowling forearm is actually almost double my other... but i guess throwing a 15 lb ball like 30 games a week will do that..lol...

i hate to hear the wrist and tendon pain mentioned.. i tore tendons 2 seasons ago bowling.. had to sit out the summer and am now starting to get back to where i as when i got hurt...just remember ice is your friend... i ice my shoulder, elbow, and wrist everynight after bowling.. Bike make a elbow and shoulder ice wrap that i used to use when i pitched for bseball and now come in handy after bowling... then i just picked up a ice wrap for knees from walgreens or any pharmacy for my wrist/knee

That sounds good, Do you think 10lbs and alot of reps or 15 to 20lbs and less reps? or both?:confused:
I found an old wrist strap thing and I wore it. I did not think it would work but I felt no pain:)
I bowled a 204 195 and a 198:eek: I'm happy but I need more controll hitting my mark so I'm gonna get some weights and get POPEYED:p

JaxBowlingGuy
07-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I would go with 10lbs and reps...

Graaille
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
One thing that I've done is to not focus only on the one wrist, but do a more full upper body/core workout w/weights - one in each hand (should be obvious, but in case it wasn't). And yes, starting w/lower weights for more reps is the way to go. I did nothing but 8 pound weights for 30 days, then moved to 10 pound weights, then 12's, now finally 15's.
My secret is, even if I'm not focusing on working the wrists directly, during the entire workout I don't put the weights down - I'm constantly holding them curled in my fingers - not the palm. Remember, these aren't huge muscles you're working, and even if you've been bowling for a long while, it's still a good idea to go easy the first month to build up endurance slowly vs. trying to go popeye right off the bat and risking future damage due to overexertion.

mrbill
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
One thing that I've done is to not focus only on the one wrist, but do a more full upper body/core workout w/weights - one in each hand (should be obvious, but in case it wasn't). And yes, starting w/lower weights for more reps is the way to go. I did nothing but 8 pound weights for 30 days, then moved to 10 pound weights, then 12's, now finally 15's.
My secret is, even if I'm not focusing on working the wrists directly, during the entire workout I don't put the weights down - I'm constantly holding them curled in my fingers - not the palm. Remember, these aren't huge muscles you're working, and even if you've been bowling for a long while, it's still a good idea to go easy the first month to build up endurance slowly vs. trying to go popeye right off the bat and risking future damage due to overexertion.

Yes I agree, Building the core will have a lasting effect and help my arm/wrist/shoulder Motor skiltz :)

MH1313
07-07-2009, 09:55 AM
MrBill,

If you can manage it, I would take a full week off of bowling. It'll give your arm time to heal. Then I'd start in with therabands. I really like them because you can change the resistance without having to purchase new weights. If you have access to a full set of weights I'd just keep working the forearms with low weight and high repitiion. Also make sure you stretch well AFTER bowling, and include a warmup session before you start throwing.

If the pain is actually in the tendons you may need some extended time off...those things are not to be messed with!

mrbill
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks all for the help..
I did stretching and the wrist strap and then I worked on my finger and wrist/forearm muscles with a rubber resist band.
It's only been like 4 or 5 days but the pain is gone and yesterday my ball felt lighter and I got more revs, the only thing is now my right push off leg gives out.
It feels like a Pain behind my knee and if I bend my knee with weight on it ,it buckels....:(
(If it's not one thing it's another):confused:

P.S. This gave me a chance to do the one step drill, and I think it helped alot.........

JaxBowlingGuy
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
you better hurry and get *** fixed up.. florida classic is coming up..lol

sebchbum
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
The way I bowl my better games is by putting a little umff and lift and flick during release.
My problem is that my wrist tendon and forearm seem strained and I dont want it to get worse.
I see the PBA guys with big Forearms and I'm not weak by any means, but is there a way or exercise to make the ball seem lighter, and keep bowling like 5 or 6 times a week?
I dont wanna over do it but I need to do something soon:confused:

have you checked the span alittle to long will stretch the tendons or if its to short it will make you grip the ball more....so first check the span

Coach 3G
08-08-2009, 01:47 AM
If the problem persists I wouldn't hesitate and go see a physical therapist (preferably someone focusing in sports medicine). Pain is not something you want to take lightly, especially if it will progressively get worse. I'd also look into doing corrective exercises for the wrist as opposed to just doing curls or similar isolated movements.

In baseball they use rice to work the grip strength all the way through the forearms. check out this video for a little more detail. http://stacktv.stack.com/video.aspx?videoID=2233450001_357