PDA

View Full Version : Junior Team USA sweeps doubles gold medals at PABCON Youth

onefrombills
07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
BOGOTA, Colombia - The United States swept the doubles gold medals while also earning a boys silver and girls bronze Tuesday at the 2009 Pan American Bowling Confederation Youth Championships.

Jake Peters of Decatur, Ill., and Chris Pierson of Waukesha, Wis., held on to win the boys gold with 2,508, edging their teammates Geoffrey Young of Denton, Texas, and Daniel Spink of St. Louis, Mo., by 19 pins.

Brittni Hamilton of Webster, N.Y., and Christine Bator of Warren, Mich., combined to shoot 2,499 and breezed to the girls title by nearly 150 pins. Jenn Boisselle of Brandon, Fla., and Kristie Petravich of West Palm Beach, Fla., earned the bronze with 2,351.

"I was nervous watching the last squad and usually I wouldn't want to stick around, but I wanted to support Geoffrey and Daniel," said Peters, who bowled on the second of three squads. "It's great that Chris and I won, but it would have been great if they had won, too. All that matters is that we won the gold and silver medals."

Peters led the duo with 1,302, the highest individual total of the day, while Pierson added 1,206. Young fired 1,261, and Spink shot 1,228 in the silver-medal effort. Puerto Rico's Hector Soto and Anibal Marin took the bronze with 2,472.

For the girls, Bator, who won the girls singles gold medal Monday, led her pairing with 1,293, while Hamilton contributed 1,206.

"To win my first medal in international competition feels really amazing," said Hamilton, who is on Junior Team USA for the first time this year. "I thought it was going to be close, but we were able to somehow pull away down the stretch. After the third game, we decided just to have fun and not take it so seriously."

Colombia's Maria Jose Rodriguez and Laura Fonnegra took the silver with 2,355, edging Boisselle and Petravich by four pins. Petravich shot 1,189, while Boisselle had 1,162.

2009 PABCON YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIPS
At Salitre Bowling Center, Bogota, Colombia
Tuesday's Results

DOUBLES
(Top 5; six games)

GIRLS

1, Brittni Hamilton/Christine Bator, United States, 2,499. 2, Maria Jose Rodriguez/Laura Fonnegra, Colombia, 2,355. 3, Jenn Boisselle/Kristie Petravich, United States, 2,351. 4, Valerie Calberry/Rosalie Hiscock, Canada, 2,320. 5, Angelica Guzman/Valerie Ruiz, Puerto Rico, 2,316.

BOYS

1, Jake Peters/Chris Pierson, United States, 2,508. 2, Geoffrey Young/Daniel Spink, United States, 2,489. 3, Hector Soto/Anibal Marin, Puerto Rico, 2,472. 4, Juan Gomez/Oscar Rodriguez, Colombia, 2,457. 5, Israel Hernandez/Samuel Montalvo, Puerto Rico, 2,443.

ALL-EVENTS
(Top 5; 12 of 24 games completed)

GIRLS

1, Christine Bator, United States, 2,639. 2, Laura Fonnegra, Colombia, 2,529. 3, Gabriela Hernandez, Mexico, 2,459. 4, Jenn Boisselle, United States, 2,449. 5, Kristie Petravich, United States, 2,442.

BOYS

1, Jake Peters, United States, 2,661. 2, Juan Gomez, Colombia, 2,579. 3, Kevin Belandria, Venezuela, 2,526. 4, Oscar Rodriguez, Colombia, 2,497. 5, Fidel Marchena, Dominican Republic, 2,484.