PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Ball - Ball Size & Drilling etc

HBRob_t
07-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I want to get my own ball. :D
I've been bowling for 3 to 4 months.
I've got my own shoes.
I use a house ball that's 14lbs with XL drill pattern.
Online vs Pro Shop (my pro shop is always closed)?
Type of ball material?
Weight?

bowl1820
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I've got my own shoes.
Type of ball material?
Weight?

Find out when it's open and go to the pro-shop! There they can fit you properly and make a good ball recommendation for you.

Go for a entry level ball, they will be a lower cost and a good place to start.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-11-2009, 02:59 PM
For your 1st ball I would go with the proshop... Find what hours they are open and go there when you can... If you throw a 14lb house ball then I would think atleast a 14lb ball when you get your own.. Keep in mind that when the ball is drilled to fit your hand it will seem a little lighter as well.. As for material is up to what you are looking to do with it.. If you just want a ball that will roll down the lane then you can do like a plastic ball like a white dot or target zone.. You can get those from proshops usually around $65 drilled.. If you would like to learn a hook in the future I would go with like an entry level reactive resin ball. An example of this is somehting like a Storm Tropical Storm... Columbia Scout... Best thing to do when just starting out is to go to your local proshop and talk with them and they can suggest what would be best by what you tell them. But with this being your 1st ball I personally would not buy it online, but go to the shop. Hope this helps. Aslo welcome to the site!

JAnderson
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Keep in mind that some pro shops may also offer used equipment for sale. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a very lightly used high-end ball for less than what you would pay for a new low-end ball.

The pro shop technician should measure and fit you. Once the ball is drilled, don't be afraid to ask him/her to tweak the way the ball fits. You should at least roll the ball to the tech across the pro shop floor a couple of times before leaving.

If the thumb hole feels a little snug, it is probably ok. Newly drilled thumbholes, even with the best vacuum cleaners, tend to have some residue from the drilling and sanding. After the ball is thrown a couple of times, this residue is gone and the thumb hole feels smoother. Remember it is easier (and less expensive) to make the hole bigger than to make the hole smaller.

Hope you find a great ball!

janbolen
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Some Pro Shop also offer start up packs, I got ball, bag and shoes for 120.00.
And I agree with everyone else proper drill fit for hand is very important. Your game will be a lot better too. When I got my first ball I got a 10# because that's what I use as far as house ball goes, but my ball was too light. So I moved up to 12#. My ball I am buying hopefully Friday is going to be 14#. Good luck with getting your new ball :)

JaxBowlingGuy
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Some Pro Shop also offer start up packs, I got ball, bag and shoes for 120.00.
And I agree with everyone else proper drill fit for hand is very important. Your game will be a lot better too. When I got my first ball I got a 10# because that's what I use as far as house ball goes, but my ball was too light. So I moved up to 12#. My ball I am buying hopefully Friday is going to be 14#. Good luck with getting your new ball :)

I have some 14lb equipment if interested. I dont throw 14... might not really be worth it after shipping though..

JaxBowlingGuy
07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
I've got my own shoes.
Type of ball material?
Weight?

I just realized that you throw 14 as well.. I have a entry level 14lb reactive ball. Rather large hand span with just under 5 inches with finger tip inserts.. Its a red/black Tropical Storm... I also have a more mid range heavier 14lb.. Both have only had 1 drilling... Let me know if you may be intererested...