PDA

View Full Version : Nomad Solid

bowlrbob
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
The new Roto Grip Nomad solid is going to be a hit another nice addition to the Roto Grip line. I was really happy to hear they were going to use the Silver Streak core with the new cover stock. I was not disappointed. I set this ball up with 5 by 3. I put the pin beside the ring finger this layout requires an extra hole. I have a high track axis is 6 over and ¼ up. I get a very good mid lane read and a hard arc in the back. I use this ball on lanes with medium to heavy oil on longer patterns. It is a ball I can use as a benchmark ball as it is easy to find the breakpoint with this ball and make adjustments or ball changes from my read with the Nomad solid. Bob Korth writer of ASK BOB Q. and A. article.

Rockteschel
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Roto Grip NOMAD, 15LB

I drilled my Nomad a week ago. The ball started out with a 2-1/2” pin and 2.8 oz. top weight. I drilled it 5 x 4-3/4 with a 2.5” pin buffer. No weight hole was needed. The ball weighed in at 7/8 side weight and ¾ finger weight when done. After drilled, the pin ended up above and in the middle of my fingers.
I bowled with this ball on a THS and it has strong movement off the break point but more controlled than the Nomad Pearl. The house that I bowl at oils 39 feet. I started the ball at 3rd arrow and breakpoint at about 10 at 40 or so feet. The ball hits hard and retains energy nicely throwing the pins around the deck. As with the Pearl, I had room both ways at the breakpoint. This ball will be a benchmark ball for your THS.
I bowled on the Shark pattern next. This ball, with this drilling was strong enough for this pattern. It made a sharp movement once leaving the oil, similar to my Nomad pearl did, but was not as erratic. When missing out the ball recovered and when missing in it sat nicely. Not the 1st ball out of the bag for this pattern, (the Rogue still holds that spot) but will be a valuable tool once the lanes start breaking down.
I bowled with this ball on Cheetah next. Un-like with the Shark pattern, The Nomad was too strong with this drilling on Cheetah. When missing out it would recover, but would not hit as hard as I would have liked. When I missed in the ball hit the 2 pin at best. Although this is not my ball of choice for this pattern, it will have its place once the oil carries down the lane.
Overall, I think that this ball will be a hit and a benchmark ball. The Nomad will be the first ball out of my bag on a THS. Good Job Roto Grip.

tbs1
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I have never had a Silver streak, but I loved my RSX so my expectations were very high with this piece.

Drilled two Nomad solids- one a bit stronger- 5x4(pin under bridge) and 6x3 (pin over middle)

The First ball reads the pattern very well- early (mid-lane) and very strong off the spot. This should fill the gap for me between the Cell Pearl and Pluto on most conditions.

The Second layout goes quite a bit longer down the lane and is very controllable off the spot- showing the versatility of the ball. Will probably be a good ball to go to when the pearl gets to crazy off the spot..

I mentioned that I was excited about this piece, and it is well worth the hype-
you will love this ball...

Please check out my video coming soon on you tube- bowlerssolution (user name)
and bowlerssolution.com

Thanks,

SenorRotoGrip
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I drilled the box condition (1500 polished) Nomad Solid with a pin just below the fingers on grip centerline, Cg out, and a 31/32 weight hole on a line from grip center to the VAL, which placed it in the thumb quadrant. (Modified RICO Layout)

The Silver Streak, symetric Rotary Core wrapped in the Ultra Vision Solid cover, produces an excellent read of the lane and explosive hit on the pins. If you liked the Silver Streak, you will definately like the Nomad Solid.

On a long oiled, fresh house shot, I was able to move outside to around 5 board, and play the Nomad up the boards. The Nomad made a nice smooth move off the oil, and had a nice even reaction the back end. As the shot broke down, I moved left with the same results down lane. The med rg (2.55) , med/high differential (.054) in the 15# will provide the bowler with a versatile ball that can be drilled for heavy oil or medium to light oil patterns.

Brendan Bierch
Roto Grip Amateur Staff

precisionrotoguy
07-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Layout- Pin 4 ¼” off of PAP (4 ¾” straight out) with a ¾” x 2 ½” hole 5” out and 3 ½” down.

I have been anticipating the release of this ball for months. Why? Several reasons really-

1. I loved the Silver Streak line (I sold dozens of all of the Silver Streak releases in my shop and I used my Silver Streak Particle so much I literally wore all the labels off of it). 2. I love me some neon green.
3. I love symmetrically cored bowling balls.

Even with my innate giddiness and mediocre reasons for anticipating such a release (not to mention my unrealistic expectations for most bowling balls), the Nomad actually managed to exceed my predetermined implication of what it would perform like. Believe it or not, it actually out hooks my Cell and my Rogue Cell (no seriously, I’m not joking). This may be due partially to the fact that it’s drilled stronger than my Cell and is newer than both, however it did catch me off guard.

This rock is a great compliment to the Nomad Pearl as well- Pearl going a little too long? Maybe ringing some 10s? Simply go to the solid, problem solved. You can never go wrong with solid reactive covers wrapped around symmetrical cores anyway, but this particular ball is a real gem, delivering staggering angularity, continuation and hit out of a mid range solid. I actually think I saw bruises on the pins when I got done with them (okay, so not really, but they sure didn’t sound too happy when getting demolished by the random nomadic stranger).

I would like to add that the ball looks sharp, albeit I wish mine had a little more neon green (see number 2 above), but overall, I can’t complain. It’s kinda like pizza, it’s always good, you could always use more, but you’re thankful for what you got…. Lol

Victory is Mine!

John Brodersen
08-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Ball specs – 15 lbs 4 oz, 2.68 top weight, and 3-inch pin.

Using the dual angle method, the Nomad solid was punched with a 4 ¾ inch pin distance, 50 degree drill angle and a 65 degree VAL angle. An X-hole was needed and was placed on the VAL using a line from the grip center thru the CG to the VAL (approximately a P2+ hole). This put the pin just below the ring finger with the CG bumped about two inches right of and below the pin. The surface was left OOB (1500 polished)

With the return of the “Rotary Core” combined with a new tweaked cover stock, the Nomad is a stronger shell than its predecessor the Grand Illusion. The Nomad is clean through the fronts, displays a consistent mid lane read with a stronger move on the back end. It also has better continuation with crisp hit. The Nomad reminds me of, and has similar but stronger characteristics to the RSX, which was one of my favorite RG releases.

The Nomad is a consistent, strong piece that can be used on most medium conditions or after a fresh, oilier pattern shows signs of wear. The Roto Grip Sword line just continues to advance in performance.

John Brodersen

RonCase823
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
My Axis is 5 5/8 right, ¼ up, my speed is average and I would consider myself with higher revs but more up the back. So not a cranker but not really straight either.

Placed pin about 1” above ring finger. CG is 1” away from center of GMP and small hole in side. The ball is very smooth throughout the lane without running out. It reads mid lane well especially on a fresher shot. Another great ball to play hard and straight up outside 5 when you can. This ball for me hooks hard outside then I can get it to roll out nicely in the pocket as long as I’m not going around it too much. If I want to go around it more with my hand I just move inside more. However, if I get too deep I need more reaction for the backend so I go Pearl Nomad for that. This ball is very clean and predictable with a nice smooth continuous arc.

MoonsLefty
09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
The layout on my Nomad Solid is 55 x 5 x 65. This places the pin just below my middle finger, with a balance hole in the P 1.5 position. This is one of my favorite drillings. I really love the reaction I get from this layout and this ball. I usually get less reaction with this layout on mid-range balls, but not with the Nomad.

I have the same layout on my original Cell, and the Nomad actually out hooks it. My Cell sometimes wants to roll too early on wood, especially at the house I am in. The Nomad has yet to roll too early. It is very clean through the fronts, picks up well in the mid-lane and goes through the pins great.

mred2u
09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Drilled my 1st Nomad 5x31/2 this ball glides through the front part of the lane and is smoother than the Pearl. For me this ball is about 3-4 boards less than the Grand Illusion. Can't wait to drill the other Nomad that I have. Another great ball from Roger and the team from Roto Grip.
--------------------
Ed Riffle
Roto Grip Advisory Staff

Bucko the Bowler
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Out of the box this ball is clean through the heads, picks up a late mid-lane reaction and has a strong drive through the pocket. It seems to work best on synthetic lanes with a medium to heavy amount of oil and the oil patter approx 38 linear feet. On wooden lanes, the oil pattern would need to be heavier and longer to get a better reaction with the ball. When on wooden lanes, this ball doesn’t seem to kick out the corner pins and loses the drive through the pocket verses when on synthetic lanes.

Overall this would be a great ball for a bowler with high speed and high revolutions.

This ball started with low top weight. My layout on the ball is: Pin under bridge at 5-1/4 from PAP; CG swung out at 45° angle; 3-3/4 inches from PAP. No Hole. :D

msherman
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Pin: 3 Inches
Top: 3 oz.

The Layout:

4 x 4, pin above the ring finger with a 1.5 inch buffer. Weight hole (3/4 Inch down 2.5 inches) 1 inch above axis to account for Finger Weight and to clear out some top weight.

The Motion:

This ball is a Silver Streak Solid on Steroids, there really isn’t much else to say about it. It is super clean through the heads and reads the mids great. It has a continuous backend motion. The ball is very versatile and can be used on a wide variety of patterns. You can definitely play a little more direct on a longer pattern without the over/under factor coming into play. On shorter patterns it can roll smoothly off the break point.

The Surface:

I have had this ball at multiple surface levels (OOB, 4000, 2000). Currently I have it at a 2000 Grit abralon to help it read even earlier and smooth out off the break point. A solid choice for any cranker.

Thoughts:

If you liked the Silver Streak, you will love the Nomad! The color scheme is fantastic. The fact there the ball is all cover and core without any filler makes it hit like a MACK TRUCK. A great addition to any arsenal!

tonybowler
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
WOW..that was my initial reaction from throwing my Nomad Solid. I drilled it with a 4.5” pin and a 50 degree layout. The pin to VAL is 3”. I threw this ball with the out of box cover. I was really surprised on the amount of back end reaction that the Nomad Solid has. I was bowling on a house shot. The ball made it through the heads with ease. When it made it turn, it looked like someone kicked the ball to the pocket; this is where the WOW factor came into play. I really like the ball as it drove through the pocket. I carried a lot of off pocket hits. I consider myself a tweener with about a 15 mph ball speed. I sanded the surface to 1000 with an abralon pad. I used the ball on the Shark pattern, for 4 games I was +90. With a sanded surface, it tamed the backend reaction but brought the break point closer to me. For those that are having a hard time controlling the backend might consider a little surface to smooth out the reaction to the dry.

pbacanuck
09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I decided when I drilled the Nomad I was going to try something a bit different. Having already drilled the Nomad Pearl and being surprised at how strong the backend was I wanted to drill the Nomad to hook less and give me something I could use on wet/dry or lanes that just plain hooked. I already had a Mars with the pin right on my axis to take the flare right out of the ball and it works great on wet/dry lanes but lacks the backend on drier lanes with a bit of carry down.

A few years ago I had drilled a high end ball from another manufacturer with the pin 6" from my axis and ended up with a really good spare ball, as the ball never would get into a roll unless I was using it on a gymnasium floor. After seeing how strong the backend was on the pearl I decided what the heck, so I drill the Nomad with the pin 6" from my axis which put it at about 2" left of the center of my grip and 2" above the grip center. I placed the CG right on my grip center.

When I was done the ball looked like it was drilled for the typical lefthander.
I really didn't know what to expect after my last disastrous attempt at this layout. When I first rolled the ball it loped for about 35 - 40 ft, but to my surprise once the ball hit dry boards you could see the core shift and the ball got into a really nice strong roll and killed the pocket.

After rolling both balls on a house shot I found all I had to do with the 6" Nomad was move my feet 10 boards right and my target 5 right on the same condition. The ball reads the lane really well, getting into a nice strong roll with very little deflection. While I wouldn't recommend this layout for everyone it just demonstrates the versatility of the Nomad. It works great on drier lanes and shorter patterns. I can't wait to try it on the Cheetah.

cmsubowler
09-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Great rolling ball. If you ready my review on the Nomad Pearl I can relate this ball to that very easily. Background -- pin 4.5 inches to PAP Stacked drilling low weight hole directly in line with the Thumb hole and small. Surface taken down with 2000 abralon and repolished lightly. This ball allowed me to play further right into the track area of the lane than the Nomad pearl. Directly relates to a Cell or Rogue. Very clean through the front part of the lane picking up great midlane roll and strong arc on the backend. When the Nomad pearl is too much to control on the back half of the lane this ball destroyed the pins. Handles carry down easily and any breakdown found on the lane is easily translated into opening up the lane by moving a few boards inside. Controlling this ball is easy. Just let it do its job and let it go down the lane, the sudden explosion and dust from 10 pins will follow. Enjoy!!!!

Mr Scary
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Drill angle – 35 Deg., Angle to VAL – 35 Deg., PIN to PAP distance – 3 3/8”, 15 lb, box finish

The person who said this ball is like the Silver Streak on steroids is right on. Same core, stronger cover stock, what more can you ask for. This ball is incredible. With the cover, it had no problems getting through the heads, reads the mid-lane great, and hits very hard going through the pins. This ball is more than what I thought it was going to be. I really liked my Silver Streak, but this ball, WOW!! I am looking forward to my tournament schedule to start.

L.Hoffman
09-17-2009, 12:01 AM
The new Mid-Range & Priced Nomads should be a big hit with all levels of bowlers this season. The Solid Reactive with the Rotary Core I found not just a Med-Heavy oil ball, but is very smooth on league house shots as well. As a 72 yr. Old LH Stroker I had the Solid drilled with the 3-1/2 inch pin just below the ring finger & the CG kicked out 1-1/2 inches. Staying behind the ball on the house shot & at 15 mph, the ball had a very smooth re-action between 15 & 7 boards. My 1st league score with this ball was 269-747 with 2 open splits. All my Nomad scores have been out of the box..Action speaks louder than words...{Ball Layout Photo on Roto-Grip Web Reviews}....Larry Hoffman, Roto-Grip Advisory Staff

PaulMc
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I drilled my first Nomad Solid with the pin 4 inches from the PAP at 45 degrees. The ball rolls really even, not too strong off the dry or too long in the oil. What is really impressive is how good the ball hits.

After struggling to carry in a four game summer league that saw me only averaging 210 after the first half, I drilled the Nomad and shot 980+ for the last three weeks of the league (only 890 the previous week). I was second high in the league each week and did pretty good in the side pots against some of the better bowlers in the Houston area.

I drilled a second Nomad Solid with a similar layout but dulled the surface to give me a different look on a tighter condition or a more severe wet / dry shot. In a SASBA (Senior) tournament over the Labor Day weekend in Lafayette, the ball reacted great, carried better than ever expected and my partner and I won the tournament. I was high qualifier, out-averaging even the kids (guys under 50).

BShep
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I drilled my Nomad 5 x 4 pin under bridge. I did this because it's my favorite layout and always gives me great versatility, and because I wanted to compare with the Grand Illusion drilled the same. I also took the Nomad to 2000 abralon prior to drilling to match my Grand Illusions surface prep. The Nomad is a couple feet longer and much stronger in the backend for me than the Grand Illusion. Overall I have the Nomad 8 boards stronger than the Grand Illusion.

Our pro shop recently held a Storm/Roto Open House and the Nomad solid was the most popular ball by far and sold out. You can't beat the performance of this ball at this price point.

bowl1820
09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
1) Rotogrip Nomad Solid

2) Ball Specifications

a) Gross Weight: 16#
b) Top Weight: 2.?? oz.
c) Pin Placement: 3.5"
d) Coverstock: Ultra Vision Solid Reactive
e) Core: Symmetrical (Rotary core from the Sliver Streak series)

3) Drill Layout/Pattern: label leverage

a) Pin to PAP distance: 4", Pin is 2 1/4" from the VAL.
b) CG to PAP distance: 4 5/8" with the CG 1" from grip centerline on the midline.
c) Extra Hole Placement (NONE)
d) Mass Bias Placement (NONE)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingballs/roto_nomad_sol.jpg

4) Surface Preparation

a) Surface Type: OOB 1500 polished
b) Surface Type: 800 grit wet sand finished with 4000 abralon.

5) Bowler Specifications

a) Right handed
b) Stroker
c) Ball Speed (estimated) 18mph
d) Rev rate (estimated): Medium rev’s
e) Positive Axis Point (PAP):5 7/8"> 5/8"^
f) About 13 degree axis tilt

6) Lanes

a) Type of lanes (synthetic) Brunswick Pro Anvil
b) Oil pattern Information (Typical House Shot “THS”)

7) Ball Reaction Characteristics

a) The ball is very clean through the heads, getting good length.
b) The mid-lane read was good
c) The ball made a nice move off the oil, and had a nice even reaction on the backend.
d) The ball retained energy well, The backend was a strong angular one, with good continuation to and through the pin's.

8) Miscellaneous Information

a) Used in two leagues (Mixed (4players), All men(5players) and open play.

9)Summary
I've used this ball for several weeks now, I could easily parrot other reviews. But I'll just focus on a couple of thing's that I was looking at Hold & Recovery, Lane read and pin carry.

The ball's recovery was amazing, throw the ball outside and it came back. Almost a problem for me, trusting the ball enough to send it to the outside. In the out of box condition, it would go just a little long on the mixed league (because it has a oilier condition, because theres a second league following it.). Hold was good on this shot, but with carrydown hit was problematic.

On the drier men's league recovery was almost spooky, it would come back from just about anywhere. Back as the lanes broke down it was just to much, the ball still reacted well and I didn't see it rolling out. But I couldn't get it down the lane. Hold was good at the beginning of the night, but as the oil goes so should the ball go to the bag.

Where the ball shined for me, was when I changed the surface to a 800 grit wet sand and finished it with 4000 abralon and used on the mixed league. This surface change evened the reaction and improved the lane read, but still retained most all of the recovery and hold reaction was more predictable.

The other thing I was watching was pin carry, I wanted to see if the ball having a thick coverstock changed how the pins reacted when hit.

The thinner coverstock balls I think have a little “give” when they hit, with the pins just bouncing off them. Which can cause them to fly around in the air more, which can lead to a lot of ringing leaves.

The Nomad gave the pins a better look when it hit. The pins stayed low and spinning, you could even hear a difference in the sound of the hit. It gave a feeling that more energy was being imparted to the pins.

I want to see now how the ball holds up over the long run. With the thinner covers cracking so much more lately, I want to see if these thicker one hold up more like the old time balls.

This is a good strong ball and I recommend it, but remember it's skid/flip type ball. So make sure that it will fit your game.

Rotomike
09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Layout:
Pin: 4" from pap
cg 4" from pap
pin: next to ring finger
xtra hole: on midline on val
Surface: Box finish
On the house shot I found the Nomad to be very strong with a strong read when the ball met friction. Compared to a Grand Illusion with the same layout I found the Nomad to be longer and definitely stronger in the backend.
What impressed me the most was the way the ball went through the pindeck and the pin carry. Very reminiscant of the Silver Streak except this new cover helps the ball come off of the spot harder. I found my track flare to be about 7".
Don't be afraid to throw this one away from the pocket it will definitely wheel back.
Bowling on the shorter PBA patterns like Viper and Cheetah I found that I could easily get the ball to the breakpoint with a very strong backend.
On the longer patterns like Shark and Scorpion I could play up the lane but found my best reaction when the lanes had broken down a bit. Once the fronts started to burn up and some oil was moved down the lane I found the Nomad was a great option for the longer and higher volume patterns.
I have yet to play with the surface and will report back when after I do.

pocketsplit
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Help -- About to order Nomad Solid but,

Have been very disappointed with 15# Gamebreaker Pro Shop Rec, and not sure about driller. Very flat no real hook or continuation for me and my release. Want nice controlled arc (in to out) with good drive to pocket. No skid/flip.

RG Tech web site said to go with Cell and I am curious should wait for Mutant. Tried friends Cell Pearl, better and Rogue was not good.

Medium/Heavy old wood lanes, <200 revs, stroker, 14-15 mph, track line close to finger/thumb.

Thanks

wsubowling
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
My Nomad Solid is definitely my favorite ball in my arsenal. Since I do not have much hand, it works well for me playing straight up the lane on medium oil, letting the ball roll of the corner or way outside on short oil or by moving inside and swinging it with the little bit of hand that I do have. This ball works great!