PDA

View Full Version : What would you want in a new league

Snake Dr
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
If you guys could start a new league, what would be somethings that you would add or what would be some new things that would make you want to join the league?

The KingPin
07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I think it depends on the demographics, but I enjoy leagues that are made to be fun. Prizes for last place, announcements when a bowler does well, and I am not saying the spreadsheet, but actual walk up and say great work type of league. Its the small things that make leagues fun

Chris

Jord_84
07-23-2009, 12:12 AM
I like a league that's very competitive but fun at the same time. Being around better bowlers pushes me to do better myself. Beer specials and pot drawings/mega strike are nice perks too!

ooh ooh, and free on-site baby sitting!!!!

branstew
07-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I am with you two fun, competative, and the odd well done, I am lucky that all three leauges I am in are just that, It makes you want to bowl better.

mrbill
07-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I want a League that wants me! and shows it.....
I want a league that has somone on the mic saying fun stuff about all of the above.
I want a League that will let anyone join and not say there full and turn you away...
I want a league that will maybe have somone thats getting PAYED to walk around and talk to the bowlers and not hide hust on there lanes 100% of the time.
I want maybe somtime some effort to be put into it and not just be a # cruncher and then get a cut...

JaxBowlingGuy
07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
me personally want a competative league... also i want a league that runs brackets and sidepots..just make league that much better when each night has something added other than the 4 or 7 points your team may or may not get...

and a big thing is also low linage from the house.. i like the houses that dont charge so much for linage because then you usuall will have a larger prize fund.. then another point. the prize fund... what portion of my weekly $ goes to the prize fund.. these are all questions i ask at the meetings the 1st night...

just thought some something else.. i like where you use book ave for like the 1st 6-7 weeks to keep people from sandbagging so much...

Snake Dr
07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
All good things, do you guys bowl in leagues where team shirts are required? Also how do you feel about team shirts in bowling leagues?

Jord_84
07-23-2009, 10:39 PM
none of the leagues I've bowled on require team shirts....but I strongly feel that nothing screams team solidarity like flamboyant, matching shirts.

ebowler
07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
I agree on the team shirts. I bowl on a summer league, and there are only 3 teams with shirts. I wanted to go with traditional bowling shirts with our logo, but was told I was "old fashion". We settled on black tee shirts with our logo on the back.

I tried to insert the image, but it would only show the link.????

branstew
07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Again Iam with you on this o monday doubles we both have the same shirt and it does give you a boost as it feels that you cant let your team mate down

Jord_84
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I found something pretty cool. I got a flyer from the center I'm bowling at this summer. For league bowlers returning in the fall the center has offered to pay linage for anyone who has lost their job...or loses their job during the season.
I thought that was a nice idea...it's refreshing to see a center that cares about it's bowlers.

manningm
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
The league I bowl in now is an all Men's League and it is very competive. I like that feature the most. I also enjoy bowling with the guys on my team so it's fun whether we win or lose. It always nice too win but we all know you can't win all the time.

Snake Dr
07-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Yea, having the same shirts, make you feel like you are apart of something and you want to do you best.

mrbill
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Ive yet to joind a league that the teams wear the same shirts.
I think I would like that.
And that way you can put all the k00l patches you earn to show off =)

Jord_84
07-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I sew my patches onto my bowling bag....got nowhere else to put em

mrbill
07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I sew my patches onto my bowling bag....got nowhere else to put em

Thats a good Idea, I think if I ever get some patches I will do that:D

manningm
07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I think its pretty cool when all the teams wear there shirts on a bowling league night. l think it builds espirit de corp and builds commeradie amongst the teams bowling. My current team does not have shirts as of yet due to a new team sponsor.

JAnderson
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Also how do you feel about team shirts in bowling leagues?

Love them - I'm old school that way.

If you guys could start a new league, what would be somethings that you would add or what would be some new things that would make you want to join the league?

I'd like to see a portion of the prize fund paid out nightly instead of saving it all up for the end of the year. We are currently enjoying a league this summer that does just that and I find it refreshing to have a chance to win a little money every night.

I like it when the house gives a little back to the bowlers - such as a free soft drink when all members of the team strike in the same frame or pitch in some extra cash for the prize fund for big leagues. It doesn't need to be huge for the bowlers to appreciate it.

Get rid of 50/50. Blech. Yes, I know, it increases prize fund, but so does increasing league dues and it is fair across the board instead of only punishing the greedy ;)

Crazy format, blind-draw-doubles, end of year tournament. Something that is meant to be fun and allow members of different teams to get to know one another. It creates league cohesion and encourages repeat customers.

manningm
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
JJ,

How does the nightly payout system work? Every league I have bowled on has always paid out at the end of the season.

branstew
07-28-2009, 02:18 AM
We always have a fun bowl at the end of the season its free and have diffrent things like lowest score ect

JAnderson
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
JJ,

How does the nightly payout system work? Every league I have bowled on has always paid out at the end of the season.

Let's say your league fees are $15/night/per bowler with $11 going to the house, .$25 going to the secretary, and $4.75 going to the prize fund. You would split up that $4.75 so that some of it paid the nightly prizes and some of it paid for the year-end prizes. Yes, the year-end prizes would be smaller, but everyone would have a chance to earn money each night. The full prize fund is still paid out, but at different times.

My Monday night league is 26 teams of 4 people. Let's say out of the $4.75 prize fund we take $1.75 for the night prizes and $3.00 for the year end.

Each night there would be a prize fund of $182 (26 x 4 x $1.75)

You might break it down like:

Total Available: $182
High Team Game of night, handicap: $60 ($15 per bowler)
High Team Series of night, handicap: $60 ($15 per bowler)
High Individual game, handicap game 1: $10
High Individual game, handicap game 2: $10
High Individual game, handicap game 3: $10
Mystery Series Score: $32 (must bowl the exact series)

Heck, you could even have the mystery series score carry over to the next week if no one breaks it; it would help encourage new league members.

With the same numbers as above, for a 35 week league, the end of year prize fund would contain 10,920. Not great, but not bad either.

Just gives you an idea of different things that can be done.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-29-2009, 03:54 PM
suck if you bowled a blind that night and had to sit around to get paid...lol

JAnderson
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Doh! We need honest secretaries who will hold the money for you until the following week!

JaxBowlingGuy
07-29-2009, 05:44 PM
that would be my only issue... I dont trust anyone with my $$.. not even me sometimes...lol

THIS IS MY 400TH POST!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOO