PDA

View Full Version : Dont know a bowling lingo term??

JaxBowlingGuy
07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
If you hear people using different bowling terms that you dont know what they are.. Ask them here and I am sure someone will be able to help you out with the meaning...

Jord_84
07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I can't think of any lingo that isn't familiar to me.....what if we made a lingo dictionary for the beginning bowlers?

JAnderson
07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
This is a good topic I've seen on other bowling forums. We, as bowlers, don't realize how many slang terms we use until we start listing them. There is easily over 1,000 slang terms I've heard over the years with new ones (Hambone!) being invented all the time.

Even more entertaining is when you start discussing the different terms and origins for the same thing like a "Brooklyn" or "Jersey" or "Wrong-side" strike. The opposite is also true - when one slang term means different things for different people. I've found many people understand "over/under" differently.

Here's just a bit of trivia for you. It's not a slang term, but does anyone know what AMF stands for? Most AMF employees can't tell you! "Always Means Fun" is not correct :)

The answer is below, in white text (hopefully on a white background) so you should be able to see it if you highlight this entire post.

American Machine and Foundry

Twisted Minis
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I've always understood "Brooklyn" to be hitting the pins on the opposite side that your are supposed to. A team mate of mine insists it is when pins from the rear fall forward knocking the front pins down.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
now i would call that from the "back door"

branstew
07-28-2009, 02:14 AM
I've always understood "Brooklyn" to be hitting the pins on the opposite side that your are supposed to. A team mate of mine insists it is when pins from the rear fall forward knocking the front pins down.

Now I would call this lucky but I would still take it:D