PDA

View Full Version : To League or NOT To League?

HBRob_t
07-30-2009, 02:51 AM
I've been bowling for a few months now. All the people at the lanes push you to join a league. Most of the leagues are anywhere from $15 to $20 a week. My location charges $5.75 a game for normal play. I usually bowl 2 to 3 games a night (once a week). I guess my real question is, what are the advantages of being in a league?

NoTapNorm
07-30-2009, 06:34 AM
To League or Not to League, that is the question-
If you're bowling just to practice or for fun, open bowling is great. But league bowling holds a number of advantages:
1-Social networking. As stated in this forum before, nothing beats facebook better than a bowling center. It doesnt matter if you average 110 or 210, its a place to relax and have fun.
2-Competition-this is where the practice pays off. Even in singles competition, nothing beats a team environment.
3-Learning-Where else is the best place to learn how to make your game better? Books are great, but actually seeing someone do what is described in that book is better. Every league has a know-it-all, but for every know-it-all, there are 5 guys who actually know what they're talking about and willing to help with your game.

Talk to your center manager about league openings and when the meetings are held. The managers and owners I've talked to over the summer have bent over backwards to help find a league that fits, and I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

manningm
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
There is probably one more advantage that some league bowlers have too, and that is "a league discount card". My league and bowling center offer a discount card just for being a league member. I practiced a few weeks ago because I bought a new ball. It only costs 80 cents a game to practice. My league's fees are $16.00 a night with the usual costs for lineage, prize fund, and secretary fees.http://www.bowlingboards.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

branstew
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Playing league brought my game on and it is good fun and its a night out doing what you like doing, and ther is always someone there that will help you if you need it.

And I am sure you are like everone you will want to win, and that brings on your game.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
by joining a league you would be sanctioned through usbc and also be able to bow in tournaments if you choose.. without a league you wouldnt have a average and wouldnt be able to.

Jord_84
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
A league will recognize your achievements as well. If you're bowling regularly and enjoying it, a league will really benefit your game. Plus, a lot of centers offer discounts for league bowlers. My center offers $1 a game and free locker rental, so practicing is cheaper!

Graaille
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Plus, as far as practice goes, the centers I visit will actually give preference to league bowlers vs. open bowlers when the lanes are crowded. Can't say thats true across the board, or just around here.

Lots of reasons for, only reason I can think of against is that in every league there are people who are . . . "interesting" to bowl with, which can enable you to practice your personal restraint towards your fellow (supposed) human beings.

Jord_84
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Lots of reasons for, only reason I can think of against is that in every league there are people who are . . . "interesting" to bowl with, which can enable you to practice your personal restraint towards your fellow (supposed) human beings.

interesting, yeah....that's the word. lol
In my experiences with leagues...I've only come across 3-4 people per league that are "interesting". Other than that, the number of ""nice, fun" people definitely outnumbers the "interesting" ones.

branstew
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
interesting, yeah....that's the word. lol
In my experiences with leagues...I've only come across 3-4 people per league that are "interesting". Other than that, the number of ""nice, fun" people definitely outnumbers the "interesting" ones.

Yes I think that is the same here in the UK the nice / fun out number the interesting ones but even with the interesting it is nice to stand back and watch them make fools of themself.:)

wimberlyt
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm joining a league three weeks from thursday. My center offers $1.29 per game for league bowlers and on certain days they open a few lanes so league players can play for free.

onefrombills
08-05-2009, 03:36 PM
WOW What a great question and here is some reasons right from the USBC and by the way the above answers are so true too! NOW after reading this the question should be which league to bowl?

As the national governing body of the sport of bowling, USBC is dedicated to providing programs and services to uphold the game’s credibility, preserve its future and enhance the bowling experience. USBC strives to achieve this mission by offering exclusive benefits to its members.

Benefits of Membership Your USBC membership allows you to:

* Compete in certified league bowling – where each bowler has an internationally recognized average.
* Be eligible to compete in local, state, more than a dozen national USBC championships and other USBC-certified tournaments.

* Experience fair, competitive play with USBC-standardized rules and regulations.
* Be confident that your league money is safeguarded under USBC bonding protection.
* Receive a subscription to US Bowler or US Youth Bowler, USBC’s quarterly magazines. Adult members also receive the monthly US e-Bowler, USBC’s electronic newsletter.
* Earn individual and league awards based on standardized achievements.
* Access up-to-the minute bowling information on bowl.com, bowling’s premier Web site, featuring special member sections and chat forums, plus league and tournament standings.
* Locate a USBC-certified coach in your area by using the “Find a Coach” feature of the USBC Coaching section of bowl.com.
* Lead and grow the sport of bowling at the local level by becoming a USBC volunteer.
* Take pride in wearing and displaying your USBC official merchandise, available at USBC events and on bowl.com.
* Enjoy the fun and social opportunities of being a part of one of America’s largest participatory sport.

Traveling Bowler
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
This current Summer League is my first. I am truly loving it and looking forward to Fall League play. People are very nice and have no problem helping with any of my questions.

branstew
08-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes leauge is good and I am glad your enjoying it and it only will get better.