PDA

View Full Version : Should a newbie buy bowling shoes?

operajester
07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm new to bowling and since I'm going regularly to the alley, the cost of renting bowling shoes is adding up and I want to stick with bowling. There aren't any affordable places in town to buy bowling shoes. Is it a good idea to buy online? I'm looking to spend under $30. (I can't spend more than that) Any suggestions for websites and such? Should I buy a smaller size, bigger size, or my regular size? Do they stretch out when worn often?

kev3inp
07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't think you're going to find much selection at that price point. Off the top of my head, maybe check out Bowler's Wherehouse , Buddie's Pro Shop, and Bowlingball.com to see if they can help you. The better companies are sized like normal shoes for the most part. I can't attest to wear, but my $60.00 Dexters I bought when I got back into bowling broke after a season and a half, and I've had my SST-6's ever since. About 4 times what you're looking to spend, though.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
28.99 with free shipping..

http://www.bowlingball.com/Bowling-Shoe-2710/dexter-men-s-ricky-white.html

mrbill
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I got a few pair on craigs list for 5 bucks

Graaille
07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
I picked up my Etonics for 39.99 from bowling.com, they've lasted 4 years so far.

Twisted Minis
07-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I paid $25 for my first pair of shoes. It took about 3 games for the rubber pad on the push foot to start peeling, and about 2~3 weeks before the sole tore itself from the rest of the shoe rendering them useless. I bought a pair of Dexter SST1 and have not looked back.

jBryan
08-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, do buy some shoes! I'm in the same situation right now and I agree, those shoe rental fees do add up! Check out www.bowling.com and www.bowlingball.com for some fair priced shoes as stated. I just ordered a pair of Dexters yesterday online after I tried it on at a local pro shop, and I saved $20 buying it online. As for sizing, my regular shoe size fit fine so I'd stick with regular.

wimberlyt
08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
ABSOTIVELY!! Get your own shoes. You don't know who's been wearing the rentals.

jBryan
08-15-2009, 08:09 AM
ABSOTIVELY!! Get your own shoes. You don't know who's been wearing the rentals.

I didn't really care about it before, but now that you mention it.. :eek: Thank god I ordered a new pair. :D

branstew
08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I didn't really care about it before, but now that you mention it.. :eek: Thank god I ordered a new pair. :D

Good on you shoes do make a difference and when you have your own they just feel right and I do feel your bowling will go up a notch.

Coach 3G
08-21-2009, 04:56 AM
The cost savings of owning your own shoes will definitely save you money if you are going to be bowling regularly. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

gutterball
08-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Shoes for less then 30.00 i don't think you are going to have much of a chance but you might find something. I know the pro shop has some for 34.95 but there not the best things in the world. good luck on finding some

Jamski
09-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Robert posted it already, but you can get a pair of Rickys for under $30. When I started back, I didnt feel like paying rentals every time out, so I bought a pair of Rickys and they've been pretty darned durable. I've gotten at least $300 worth of wear out of 'em. Probably I will upgrade soon, but they're a great place to start.

BowlnBrat
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
My first pair of shoes were Dexter's (which I gave to my mom)...but then I decided I wanted to go with a more "sneaker" look so I bought a pair of Linds and after a season and a half, the front toe pad started coming unglued. I took it to my pro shop where I had bought them and he glued them. Then not even 2 weeks later, the same toe pad came unglued again, so the pro shop switched them out for another pair of Linds. I didn't even have those a week and the same thing happened. I switched to a pair of Brunswicks and I haven't looked back! That was a year ago. However, if you plan to stick to bowling I suggest going ahead and paying for a good pair of shoes...you won't be sorry!

Stormed1
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The sound footing of a GOOD pair of shoes id important in creating a consistant delivery. The "universal" shoes will do in a pinch. However you would be better served with shoes designed for specific style (RH?LH). You can find some good deals on discontinued shoes on Ebay. I have recently seen Brunswick Swirls there for $70.00. These are sst6's made under a brunswick license and use Dexter soles.