PDA

View Full Version : Team USA's Stefanie Nation wins singles gold at World Women's Championships

onefrombills
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
7/30/2009

By Matt Cannizzaro
USBC Communications

2009 WTBA World Women's Championships homepage

LAS VEGAS - Team USA's Stefanie Nation claimed the first gold medal of the 2009 World Tenpin Bowling Association World Women's Championships on Thursday night and became the third American woman in history to win singles at the prestigious event.

Nation topped Mexico's Sandra Gongora, 167-131, to defend the title won by her Team USA teammate Shannon O'Keefe at the 2007 WTBA World Women's Championships in Monterrey, Mexico. Former Team USA member Kelly Kulick won the event in 1999.

Gongora, who earned her way into the championship match with a 258-209 semifinal win over Denmark's Anja Ginge Jensen, quickly lost her momentum and left three washouts and three splits in the loss to Nation.

"All it comes down to is making good shots because I can't control what my opponent is doing," said Nation, who was the top seed after six qualifying games and defeated Finland's Krista Pollanen, 220-195, in the semifinals. "You never know what's going to happen, so you have to stay focused and aggressive. It was a funky pair, and neither of us could really get anything going. I was really fortunate to come out ahead."