PDA

View Full Version : ANDY MORTON: World Series of Bowling

onefrombills
07-31-2009, 03:08 AM
This year, the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) borrows a page from the World Series of Poker and will kick off the 2009-2010 season with the World Series of Bowling (WSOB). And by saying borrow, I mean the concept of a grouping of events located in one general 50 mile radius that will crown multiple champions with a big championship event to culminate the previous less important events.
Anyways, in a first for the PBA Tour, seven separate events will be contested in one city over a one-month span instead of over seven weeks in seven different cities. Alongside the PBA Tour will be the PBA Women's Series and even a Senior Tour event for the greats of the game. Including sweepers and side events, over two million dollars in prize money will be handed out beginning in early August. Bowling centers in Detroit will be flush with the best talent in the World for a whole month! Does it get any better than that for a city that has been a shining star of the Nation’s bowling community for a very long time? I won’t lie…I’m jealous.
Yet, for many, this has only been viewed as a cost cutting measure for the PBA Tour due to the economic crunch of the recent year for everything from insurance companies, small businesses, big banks and even car manufacturers. Realistically, the last thing the PBA needs is Obama running the show. Rumor has it he would replace all bowling centers with basketball courts. So even if it was purely cost cutting, which it’s not, I’d be content with it to keep the PBA viable.
However, while in the short term the WSOB will definitely cut costs for travel and set up associated with the more traditional traveling PBA Tour, to make the argument that the WSOB is only a cost cutting measure would be to completely ignore the potential positives of it. Let me explain why I think the WSOB could be the next step in bringing the PBA Tour to greater prominence.
The WSOB will be held across various centers in the Detroit, Michigan area. Detroit is a bowling Mecca in regards to membership, location, and sheer number of bowling centers. Throw in the fact that their economy is in such bad shape that you could literally buy a house cheaper than renting a hotel room and you have a place that actually needs the PBA Tour. Hopefully the PBA’s getting a good deal on rent! Regardless of Detroit’s economic woes, Detroit is centrally located in the country and draws big numbers of bowlers. Fact is, it’s not just a cost cutting measure for the Tour; it also saves money for the bowlers and a byproduct of those savings is increased participation.
With that said, there is a reason many of those high stakes amateur tournaments do fairly well. They take a lot of events and cram them all into one area over a short period of time. With what you will save on multiple flights or day long commutes in and out of seven various cities over the course of a traditional PBA Tour season, you can enter more events, more side pots, and even spend more money in a city that desperately needs it. This doesn't just apply to the full time exempt bowler or the full time non-exempt bowler, it applies to that talented guy who just never saw it as fiscally responsible to fly all over the country for a check here and there. Now he can settle down in one city for a couple weeks or even the whole month and focus on bowling against the best in the game in more than a just one tournament. For example, I live in Alaska and have a well paying full-time job that I wouldn’t dare quit to get my rear-end handed to me on the PBA Tour for 21 events. But, I’d be willing to take a month of paid vacation time and get seven rear-end kickings all on one plane trip. That doesn’t mean the wife would let me, but negotiations are currently at full blast for 2010.
Having a month long stay also provides ample opportunity to manufacturers of bowling equipment and other vendors with a vested stake in bowling to set up shop in the city and promote their new line of equipment. Similar to the USBC Open Championships.
This WSOB should also promote greater International participation. We'll likely see some of the best International players not already exempt taking flight to Detroit to prove that they have game on the toughest stage in bowling. This might be the ignition switch the PBA needs to explode in popularity overseas and open up new opportunities for PBA events in Europe and Asia.
The PBA Tour will also be pre-taping almost all of the telecasts instead of doing it live like they have since before man walked on the moon. Purists hear the word tape-delayed and they immediately start freaking out and loading up on anti-anxiety pills. Even I was hesitant at the thought. Many diehards might have to go into forum board rehab just to stay clear of the possible spoilers. I will personally avoid all contact with my bowling friends and quite possibly take a hiatus from my weekly bowling leagues just to be safe.
But seriously, let’s look at this from a general viewership perspective please. There is a reason poker does well on TV these days and it’s primarily due to the action being tape-delayed. One, they can show you the hole cards. Two, they can show you a lot more of the big hands instead of the ones where the whole table folds. Three, they can present the more personal side of the players through pre-tournament interviews and background stories. And finally, they can avoid errors and the occasional foul word often exposed through live telecasts. All in one or two hours, depending on the event.
The PBA Tour has been fixated on four and five bowler finals forever. With the TV timeouts, the re-racks, the balks, and any miscellaneous delays that come with preparing for every shot there is barely enough time to finish all the games within the allotted time, let alone time to get to know the bowlers, to educate the viewers on the difficulty of the pattern, to educate the viewers on the skill of the bowler, or to show how the finalists got to the finals. Last year, they even started bowling through the commercials just to finish in time. To the average viewer who doesn't watch the live scoring updates during the course of qualifying, they have no idea how those four or five bowlers made it. As far as they are concerned, their names were drawn from a hat. The TV format is old and has crossed five decades. It is time to try something new. Pre-recording the telecasts gives the production crew a plethora of options to present to the audience a fresher 90-minute telecast.

onefrombills
07-31-2009, 03:08 AM
So how do I think the PBA will handle the pre-recorded telecasts? Well, I think we'll have a lot better insight on the events leading up to the finals. We may see highlights from the match play rounds and qualifying. We might get to see some talented bowlers trying to make it on tour that can't quite get over the hump and make a show. Talented bowlers that are being neglected the opportunity for a fan following because they don't finish in the top 5 out of 100+ competitors each week. Think about it, only 16 bowlers made 2 or more TV shows last year and only 34 bowlers made it to TV. If the PBA takes the right direction with this, they will display as many bowlers as possible. Getting those bowlers on TV also helps the bowler to build a great case for putting a company’s gargantuan logo on those sweet Gemini jerseys. Pretty hard to sell a company on your talent if you're ranked in the top 30 in the World, but you haven't made it to TV (talented guys like Eddie VanDaniker, Jr. and Dino Castillo). Companies want exposure and this is one way to give it to them and help your top players all at the same time. Nobody questions the bowlers’ abilities to be competitive, but bowling is about the only sport I know that eliminates over 95% of the field before it is on TV.
Ok, so let’s harp on the biggest complaint so far since the announcement of the WSOB; learning who wins before the actual telecast airs. I have touched on it a bit already and I know it’s a sensitive subject for the diehards. Ironically, it’s the same diehards that have every ESPN Classic bowling re-air posted on Youtube or on DVD, but for some reason claim a pre-taped telecast from this decade would ruin it for them. (???) It really is a poorly structured complaint, because it’s one that people will personally be responsible for dealing with. You’re only going to find out if you are looking for it. I highly doubt that the PBA is going to send me an email or twitter update to let me know who won the event before it airs. Just for information, you can also find out who wins each World Series of Poker event (except for the biggie) before it airs by going to their homepage and they still manage to be reasonably successful. You’d probably have to sneak your spoiler under a random topic on the PBA forum board to keep moderator pbaagent from finding it and filing it in the online recycling bin. And don’t worry, if the WSOB fails miserably, the second half of the season will go back to live telecasts and you can tell me how I should go back into my igloo and shove it.
The benefits of a tape delayed telecast for the sport of bowling and its 90 minute window far outweigh the negatives. If finding out the winner before the telecast completely ruins the show for you, does that mean you only watched the final 5 minutes of each show when it was live? Is that the only negative? Does the journey not matter? Does the interaction between the player and the pins not matter? Even if I stumble across a winner, I'll watch the show for the storylines of the event, maybe a player profile, how the bowlers worked the lane, to hear “Hambone” screamed at the top of Rob Stone’s lungs, and even to hear Randy Pedersen’s humor and insight. Would you not tune in to see WRW leave an 8-10 on the fill ball to lose or Rhino’s 4-count to hand the T of C to PA when you already knew they lost? In the end, it comes across as a pretty weak complaint and one that can easily be solved by avoiding the message boards or Wes Malott's Twitter account.
I also read another interesting complaint about how the reduction in venues across the country will have a substantial negative impact on the PBA Tour. And unlike the prior complaint, this is actually a valid and well thought out concern. I have always thought of bowling as a grass roots sport that provides unmatchable access to the best players of the game. You can't play in a Pro-am with Tiger Woods or Lebron James on a weekly basis. And unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that the WSOB will reduce the amount of locations the PBA attends during the season. It will also probably negatively affect the following of the tour from the locations that lost their event. However, if we wish to remain a low-profile organization and appease every small town, we will continue to be a bottom feeder in the world of sports. The PBA has been on a path in the last few years to gain credibility and to grow exposure. Developing the exempt tour, the animal lane patterns, the various formats, PBA Experience Leagues, the player jerseys, the retro plastic ball tournament and now the WSOB have all boosted exposure whether positive or negative.
Last year, the PBA went all-in to promote two-handed Australian bowling sensation Jason Belmonte (that does have a nice ring to it) much to the displeasure of some of the current stars, but the PBA cashed in on that bet when Belmonte won in incredible fashion utilizing two completely different angles and two completely different balls. No one can argue that it was one of the most successful seasons of the PBA since it entered the ESPN era. It is very clear to me that the PBA is going to take some risks and this is one of them that I think will pay off. Many seem to forget that the PBA has worked in the red every year (until last season) and any option to grow exposure and income should be explored, even at the unfortunate expense of a few towns.
The bottom line for the PBA won't be the success or failure the WSOB encounters in its inaugural season, but whether or not it continues to strive for new and creative ideas for the greater good of the PBA Tour.