PDA

View Full Version : Colombia takes trios lead at World Women's Championships

onefrombills
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
LAS VEGAS - Colombia's Clara Guerrero battled through a difficult transition during her third game of trios at the World Tenpin Bowling Association World Women's Championships on Thursday and was able to get back on track in time to finish with six consecutive strikes and help her team into the overall lead.

Guerrero opened with games of 257 and 276, but started to struggle as the lanes changed. After a couple of wrong adjustments, she regained her rhythm and finished with 202 for 735 series and helped her team to a 1,960 total.

"The first two games, I was throwing it a lot more left to right than I like, but it was working, so I didn't want to change anything," Guerrero said. "I knew my transition was going to be hard, and the last pair ended up being a lot tighter, so it confused me a little bit. We feel pretty good right now, and we're looking forward to tomorrow. We struggled a little bit on the fresh on the other pattern, but we're going to learn from what happened yesterday and come out and make good shots. If it's meant to happen for us, it will."

Team USA's Stefanie Nation, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard and Liz Johnson, who were the opening-squad leaders, now are second with 1,942. Korea is third with 1,930, and Denmark is fourth with 1,929. The other Team USA team (Lynda Barnes, Wendy Macpherson and Kim Terrell-Kearney) is 21st with 1,816.

Nation, a five-time member of Team USA, was back in her comfort zone on the tournament's short pattern (WTBA Stockholm, 34 feet) Thursday and posted a 688 series to lead Team USA to games of 634, 617 and 691.

"The short pattern allows me to play in my comfort zone, which is outside, but even though it was nice to come in knowing I had a good look, each day is a new day and it could've played differently," said Nation, who conquered the short pattern Tuesday to earn the top seed for Thursday night's singles semifinals. "Overall, we're seeing the big picture more as the week goes on, and we're learning from each other each time we go out there."

Trios is split into two three-game blocks over two days and uses both of the tournament's lane conditions. All competitors will return Friday to test their skills on the 40-foot WTBA Athens pattern. The semifinal and final action will begin at 6:30 p.m.

After representatives from 45 countries complete their six qualifying games in trios, the top four teams will advance to the semifinals, which will be held Friday at 9:30 p.m. EDT.

This year's tournament marks the first time professionals are allowed to compete at the World Women's Championships, and competitors will compete in singles, doubles, trios, team and Masters competition before the event concludes Sunday. Medals also will be awarded for all-events.

Through 15 games, Guerrero is the all-events leader with 3,312. Denmark's Rikke Rasmussen is second with 3,306, and Sweden's Helen Johnsson is third with 3,273. Nation is fourth with 3,362.

After 24 games, the top 16 players in the all-events standings will advance to Masters competition, which is scheduled for Sunday morning.

USBC plans to live stream portions of the event on bowl.com, and bowling fans around the world will be able to watch the finals and select semifinals.