PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent gutterballs?

operajester
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm a newbie and I keep getting gutterballs. This is embarrassing. How can I avoid these so I get a decent score?

Graaille
07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Only tried and true way is more speed right down the center of the lane. Other than that, they're a fact of bowling.

Jord_84
08-03-2009, 11:56 PM
do you aim for a certain arrow when you bowl? You need to find a suitable mark to aim at and then practice hitting that mark. When I started bowling and threw a straight ball, I stood at the 7th board and shot second arrow. If I threw outside of the second arrow, it was because I wasn't bringing my arm back straight on the backswing.

You just need to find a mark and practice being consistent in hitting that mark.

Coach 3G
08-08-2009, 01:36 AM
for a new bowler gutterballs are usually the result of a poor start. It's common to hear if you have a poor start, it's hard to have a great finish, and that is no more evident than when you dump a ball in the channel.

So to have that great start ensure that you are pushing the ball forward and down and allow the ball to swing freely (like a pendulum). Don't try and muscle it as you'll just end up doing things inconsistently. Also it's imperative to keep your ball in line with your body. If the ball gets away from your body you are going to have a tough time bringing it back in line to hit your target.

gparks
08-17-2009, 08:20 AM
gutterballs still happen to me too,im a 2nd arrow shooter and normally ifi hit the gutter it is a bad backswing or i drop my shoulder(the shoulder most times) as said above i think the most important thing in bowling is your pushoff followed by hitting your mark. i started my fall league with two BIG gutter balls on my strike shots i was fortunate to grab the spares :). both times my teamate mentioned my shoulder looked low (i agreed) felt that way too. good luck and dont let the gutter blow your head game.