PDA

View Full Version : New Member from SoCal

jBryan
08-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, just joined a couple minutes ago. To start off, my names Joseph and I've been bowling since last April. I'm pretty much self-taught and I'm averaging ~140-150. My top score is a 183. I just bowl for fun as of right now but I'm hoping to join a league within the next year or so as my average goes up. I currently have no equipment and am just using the balls at the alley. I pretty much bowl every Friday night, but try to go on Sunday mornings because the games are only $1 each. I'm planning to buy some shoes and my own ball(s) within the next month, so any tips and suggestions would be a great help. Thanks! :)

kev3inp
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Welcome, we're glad you chose to join us. Try your local pro shop and see if they've got a package deal for ball, bag, and shoes. A lot of them do, and you'll do better with your own equipment. Then soon you'll be a bowlingf junkie like the rest of us. :)

JaxBowlingGuy
08-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome! as mentioned above the best is to visit your local proshop when you are 1st starting out. usually that package is like $100-$110.. or if you wanted to get a entry level reactive ball about $25 more.. Good lock and be sure to keep everyone posted.

mrbill
08-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome Joseph
When I started back some months ago I went real cheap/frugal and Got my balls bag shoes from craigs list for under $50 bucks
Now months later I am hitting up the Pro shops for the better stuff....

branstew
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Welcome you will soon be like the rest of us thinking of bowling all the time and even dreaming of bowling

jBryan
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys and I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

The KingPin
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Welcome to BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums. It is great to meet you and please tell your friends.

Chris

jBryan
08-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks Chris! I'll be sure to tell all friends at the local alley.

jBryan
08-06-2009, 04:25 AM
So I stopped by the local pro shop earlier. As promised, I'd keep you guys posted.

Theres a Ball/Shoe/Bag package for $119.99 containing:

- (1) Storm 1 Ball Deluxe Black/Royal Blue Bag
http://www.bowlersparadise.com/shop/bags/storm/storm_1_ball_deluxe_black_royal.shtml
- (1) Dexter Ricky II Shoes (Choice of Black/White)
http://dexterbowling.com/Item.asp?collection=109&item=B1836-9
- (1) Ebonite Maxim (Choice of any available color)
http://www.bowling.com/products/ebonite-maxim-captain-fireball.htm

The thing is, I'd like to get a double roller bag and some other shoes instead. Possibly, even another choice of ball. (I've been looking at the Black/Red Hammer Razyr.) I am able to upgrade, and I just have to pay the difference of the items. As I started looking for other items, I realized the pro shop was much more expensive! :eek:

For example, the Hammer Razyr. Online, I've been seeing them for $72.99 drilled and shipped. At the local pro shop, it goes for $119.99 w/o drilling. A Columbia Deluxe 2 Roller Bag I've seen online was $49.99 shipped. Local pro shop, $79.99. :eek: I didn't really get a good look at the shoe prices at the pro shop, but I'm sure they were more expensive as well.

At this point in time, I'm thinking "What should I do?" :confused: To package deal or not to package deal?

Should I buy my shoes and roller bag online and then purchase my ball at the pro shop because they can custom fit it to my hand? Should I just buy everything online? How does the Ebonite Maxim compare to the Hammer Razyr? Does fingertip really make a big difference from conventional? Can I get it custom fit if I order the ball online? How would I know the right measurement? Am I making a big deal out of this? :p

You see, I'm stuck in a sticky situation. Lol any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! =)

mrbill
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
The shoes you can get online if you find Free shiping.
The Ball from the ProShop if they inclued drilling.
The 2 ball bag Used if you can find it on craigsList or ebey with free shiping.
Thats the cheapist way i can think of, I hope this helps.........

jBryan
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Alright, thanks for the advice mrbill! :D