PDA

View Full Version : Nomad/Nomad Pearl Ball Reviews

MSUHoss300
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Nomad Solid - 45 x 4 3/4 x 65 Pin under bridge with a hole down on VAL

This is exactly what we needed in the Roto-Grip Line. This ball is clean through the front, picks up the mid-lane, and is very continuous down lane. I think this is going to be my most versatile bowling ball. In comparison to the Grand Illusion it is much stronger overall and much more continuous. I've used this ball on a few different PBA patterns already and have been seeing a very consistent predictable motion. I think this ball compliments the Rogue Cell very well. I find that my Rogue works best for playing up the lane with direct lines, once the spot starts to develop I can go to my Nomad Solid and open up the lane and not have to give up carry. EVERYONE NEEDS a Nomad in their bag!

Nomad Pearl - 75 x 4 1/2 x 35 Pin above ring finger stacked no hole

My goal with this ball was to give myself something I can use when the front part of the lane starts to burn and I can't get my Nomad solid around the corner. This ball is cleaner through the front part of the lane and scoots even further down lane then the Nomad Solid and is more explosive down lane then any ball in our line. This ball replaced the Illusion and does everything better. Overall this ball is also stronger then the Illusion and seems to have more continuation down lane. This ball will work really well on a variety of lane conditions especially on most of the broken down/ late shift league conditions.

2 more great additions to the already phenomenal Roto-Grip line. Look out PBA Tour, Big Wes is going to have the 2 hottest balls out in his bag!

David O'Sullivan
Roto-Grip Staff Member

RotoGripSkitt159
08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Nomad Solid,I can really say this is the ball.The all new roto grip nomad solid,gives the bowlers that silver streak line back in there hands,but more like a sliver streak on steroids,cause of haveing the core from the silver streak put in a all new cover stock (ultra vision) solid reactive.The namad will give bowlers that early look on the lane and more even out backend ball reaction.My nomad (drilled from box service) 5x3 to my pap.So got pin belov middle finger and cg center of grip,no extra hole needed for this drilling.Even with pin being further from my pap it still reads up early and gives me that tame even look off down lane,works great for all bowlers and lane conditions.For all you bowlers out there, just dont stand in the proshop looking at this ball on the wall saying wow this ball looks so nice and must react even nicer down lane get in there drill one up and be the bowler to tell others on how well this ball really reacts.You wont be dissapointed

Nomad Pearl
Everyone here comes nomad pearl.Its rotary core and its all new ultra vision reactive coverstock.Roto grip gives bowlers that bench mark pearl ball back in the line up.The nomad pearl being cleaner threw the front part of the lane more then its brother nomad.The pearl will give the bowlers stronger but very smooth ball reaction down in the backend of the lane.My nomad pearl is drilled 6x4 from pap and its box finish.Pin above middle finger cg inch right from center of grip.I choise this layout for more lenght but for a stronger but smoother down lane ball reaction.Ive used this ball with this layout on vairety of shots even for house shots or when im playing more direct on thos tuffer sport patterns.So just dont stand there and feel left out for not having one,get to your nearest proshop to drill one.Now you wont feel left out ever again.YOu will have one of the greatest balls ever made in your bag from roto grip

rotogrip300
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Nomad Pearl

I drilled two of them. 5 x 5 over the label. Which went sideways on the back end. If the lane was longer it would of come back to me. The second I drilled 5 x 3 with 2000 abrolon. Gave me exactly what I wanted. A very strong pearl which is clean in the front and arcing mids and strong back end. Could use this on many patterns. Especially with the PBA new theories this year oiling lanes backwards. This could be the ball of the year.

Nomad
Drilling Pattern 4.5 x 5

Surface 4000 Abrolon.

The ball that put Roto Grip on the map is back but even better. The same shape as the Silver Streak with a stronger cover. Very clean in the front with strong mid lane and continous back end. Even on the longer oil it gave me good mid lane and hit very hard.

On house conditions it never over reacted in the dry and blended the oil very well.

I used this ball twice on PBA conditions. Finished 3rd in basically an exempt regional in Clearwater Ohio. I was the only non exempt in the top 8. And qualified 7th in the PTQ on Cheetah in Detroit.

Awesome peice of equipment.

SenorRotoGrip
08-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I drilled the box condition Nomad Pearl with a pin (2-3") just above the fingers on grip centerline, Cg on gripline ,no weight hole, producing a skifd/flip layout .

The Silver Streak, symetric Rotary Core wrapped in the Ultra Vision pearl cover, produces an excellent read of the lane and explosive hit on the pins.

I used this ball on a PBA Sr Tour 37' shot in Decatur Illinois on both qualifying squads .The Nomad Pearl made a nice move down lane off the pattern, and had a nice,controllable flip reaction on the back end. As the shot broke down, I moved left, looked further down the lane with the same results down lane. The med rg (2.55) , med/high differential (.054) in the 15# will provide the bowler with a versatile ball that can be drilled for medium to light oil patterns. The Nomad Pearl is an excellent companion to the Nomad Solid. :)

ODriscoll
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Nomad Pearl

The Silver Streak Series was one of my favorite Roto Grip balls. I was really excited to hear they were bringing it back. The core is the same with the exception of the Ultra Vision Pearl Reactive Coverstock ( a little bit stronger ) I drilled mine up to compliment the Nomad, I wanted to increase the difference between the 2 balls. I drilled the Nomad Pearl 4 x 6 layout with the pin just slightly above the fingers for a longer transition.

I got it done just before my flight out to a PBA Regional in Seattle so I wasn’t able to test it out first. We were bowling on the new Scorpion pattern and I wasn’t even sure I would take it as the Scorpion has a greater portion of oil down the lane. I generally like the stronger balls for this pattern. We bowled on HPL which do hook a little more and I found out quick that this was the go to ball. I needed something stronger to start the day so I bounced between the Cell and Nomad. Once the transition started I was able to switch to the Nomad Pearl and find a much better look.

Really smooth down the lane which is so important on the Scorpion pattern. However the strength of the core combined the additional additives in the coverstock really gave me a fantastic look on the backends. Much more that I would have expected from this ball.

I ended up 13th among a pretty good field which included Walter Ray and I actually had the pleasure of crossing with the legend Ernie Schlegel. It was nice to know I had the equipment to compete with these Hall of Famers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nomad

Every once in a while you remember an old ball you loved and had great success with that is long gone from your arsenal and you wished the ball company would bring it back. Wishes do come true. The Nomad is the return of the Silver Streak. This time with a little more stronger coverstock. It still has the smooth read down the lane with a much stronger move off the spot. A more angular move and great compliment to the Cell Series.

I wanted to compliment and widen the gap between the Nomad and Pearl Nomad. So I drilled the solid with the Pin under the finger 3 ½ x 4. It did react as I had anticipated with a much stronger earlier move than the Pearl. The Nomad was even quite a bit stronger than I thought it would be. Gave me a pretty good look on a fresh Scorpion Pattern.

The Nomad will be a great fix to a warn out benchmark. The black and green are definitely easy on the eyes and attractive on display.

I’m sure Wes will enjoys these. The question is will his competition?

Kelly O’Driscoll
Roto Grip Staff

reggieroto
09-01-2009, 07:37 AM
I went online (http://www.rotogrip.com/products/balls/drilling.asp) and used the "C" lay out on both of the balls.
After drilling and throwing them both balls played true to the factory intent. The Nomad Solid played shorter on the oil pattern than the Nomad Pearl. The Nomad Pearl had more back end to it and more of a snapping motion. The pearl gave me about 5 feet more distance before it made its move. Depending on what part of the lanes your are trying to match up on I think both balls are very good. The Nomad Solid will definitely read the heads better than Nomad Pearl but the pearl will read the back ends better.

The oil pattern was our normal AMF house tree pattern * HPL surface * Reactor LL oil * 42 feet distance * using a sentry silver bullet oil machine ( don't go to sleep reading this part )

kingpinwoods
10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
The Nomad solid was on a typical house shot 36' in length and buffed to 39' freshly oiled Brunswick synthetic lane surface. I drilled my Nomad solid with the pin in the ring finger and CG 3/4" off of my grip line. I started out playing the lanes straight with an up the back of the ball release, using 7th board as my breakpoint. The ball floated through the fronts and read the midlane with a continuous backend reaction. It threw pins everywhere. I threw several shots like this. Then I moved everything left 10 with my feet and kept using the same breakpoint and went around it more. The ball really floated through the fronts with the awesome midlane read and continuous backend motion. This ball for me would be a great benchmark ball. I then took it out to use on the Route 66 oil pattern. With the box finish and the volume of oil, it squirted too far and read the midlane too late. So I took a 2000 grit abralon pad and that made all the difference. The ball made Route 66 look like a house shot. This ball is a must for anyone bowling tournaments. Kudos to Hank and all of the staff at Roto Grip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Nomad pearl was on a typical house shot 36' in length and buffed to 39' freshly oiled Brunswick synthetic lane surface. This ball was drilled with the pin above my fingers and the CG 3/4" off of my grip line. With this ball, I started up the boards and up the back of the ball, using 7th board as my breakpoint. It looked like I threw it on ice, but then when it got to the midlane it went sideways, and for a pearl it drove through the pins with no deflection. I bowled several shots playing up the boards and then moved 10 boards left with my feet, moving my eyes in, but still using the 7th board as my breakpoint. The ball was super clean through the fronts and super strong in the backs. I used it on some of the shorter Kegel patterns and this ball was as predictable on those as it was on the house pattern. Thanks to Hank and all of the staff at Roto Grip for producing some of the best equipment.