PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of the Rico layout

dougb
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I just had my Brunswick BVP Wizard redrilled with the Rico layout. The ball already had 2 drills on it and I wanted to try Rico, so it was a good candidate.

I picked it up today and had a chance to bowl two games with it on beat up lanes with dry fronts and over/under conditions in the back. First game shot 192 standing on 32 and throwing it out to 13. After the first two shots I threw 5 strikes in a row and then left a ringing 10.

Second game I wanted to see how versatile Rico can be. With some slight hand adjustments it was no problem getting a forward roll on the ball. Piped it straight up the 15 and watched it break right before the pocket. I also played around with making right-side spares and I think with a little more practice I could make this ball go completely straight. The only pin I struggled with was the 10. The ball is slightly polished and I think this could be one ball for THS -- including spares. Can't imagine how nice it would be to bring one ball with me instead of four!

This is my first experiment with Rico and it was GREAT. The ball was incredibly predictable, smooth, and did not jump (in strange ways) at the break point. I'm glad I tried it out.

Graaille
08-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I've got a few drilled rico, and they usually give me a great look no matter the condition (or as great a look as I ever get.)

Coach 3G
08-08-2009, 01:55 AM
for those not familiar check out http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/rico_layout.jpg for a picture of the rico layout

dougb
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Here are a few videos that capture the ball motion perfectly.

First is from BrunsNick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxo7WxBQAAY

Second is Brad Angelo bowling against Robert Smith in 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfUHjz29Ds (this one is fun to watch just to see Robert Smith loft the ball halfway down the lanes!)

PSBA10
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I drilled an Ebonite Gamebreaker RICO several years ago. It has a great reaction when I can find enough oil for it. Finding enough oil was a rare occurance. I ended up retiring it because I was never able to use it.

For some reason I never thought of polishing it. I'm going to have to try that and bring it out of retirement.

Maine Man
08-15-2009, 03:51 AM
I have a Copperhead and Fury Pearl TE both drilled RICO. It is such a predictable reaction, and one that lends itself to being used on PBAX leagues or Sport patterns due to the less "jumpy" nature of the ball coming off the spot. Welcome to the RICO club!! :)

mrbill
08-15-2009, 04:55 AM
for those not familiar check out http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/rico_layout.jpg for a picture of the rico layout

I've never seen this layout:o
Will it hook more then lets say a 4x4 Strong layout with a High Track?

The colsest Layout I can Find to the Rico is a full roller layout, I was gonna try that on my next ball after the JigSaw I'm getting today, and now:confused: I want this rico:cool:

Graaille
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Will it hook more? Not really - for most high trackers it works out to be about a 4x4 layout, it just makes it's move sooner and gets into a roll faster - can equal a hook-set reaction for some people.

Strike Domination
08-16-2009, 01:58 AM
The weight hole in this layout adds assymetry in symmetric and some asymmetric cores. Doesn't that mean the ball will be more flippy? I've heard the weight hole is the part of the layout that makes it unique, not the pin position.

JAnderson
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I drilled an Ebonite Gamebreaker RICO several years ago. It has a great reaction when I can find enough oil for it. Finding enough oil was a rare occurance. I ended up retiring it because I was never able to use it.

For some reason I never thought of polishing it. I'm going to have to try that and bring it out of retirement.

Another thing to consider; something Mike Jasnau shared something with me during one of his coaching sessions. Often you see the touring pros using aggressive coverstocks (and layouts) even when the lane conditions don't seem to be conducive to that type of equipment. They will instead, make other adjustments that allow them to continue to take advantage of a strong (but controlled) ball reaction. Usually those adjustments include increasing speed or decreasing rev rate.

Think of it this way - given the ability to make the correct adjustments to play the same line with two different balls - do you think pin carry would be better with a weaker ball thrown slower or with a stronger ball thrown faster?

Sure, there are other factors. If you start hanging 9-pins (righties) or 8-pins (lefties) there might be a little overkill going on with that stronger ball, but in generally, I think you can figure out what Mr. Jasnau's opinion was.

PSBA10
08-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I originally had this ball drilled for Nationals. It worked well for several years. However, that is the only place I have found that has enough oil for this ball to work. It is just too strong. Maybe a weaker ball with this drill pattern would be more versatile.

I have tried increasing speed and reducing rev rate, but once again I haven't found many places with enough oil for this monster. Maybe polishing it will tame it down somewhat.