PDA

View Full Version : We may have found a solution to our problem.

Seamistlark
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
For the past two years my wife and I have been Bowling on Saturday nights. This should not seem odd except we have two sons,16 and 11. Our oldest was in that anti-social stage this year and our youngest was in that "I'm going to annoy you" stage. Every week we would talk to them and ask if they wanted to go with us or stay. They wanted to stay,so we would ask if they were going to be alright together and they would reply "Yes". About half way through the first game the phone calls would start. We were always in the middle of World War Three at home while bowling.
This year we are trying something new, our youngest has been signed up for the League that Bowls down the other end of the house as our Saturday League. He will start when we start and when he is finished he will come down and sit with us. Let's hope this works.
We have been taking him with us to practice and he is doing well, as long as he focuses on what he is doing. Last night in practice he had a 87, 89, 79. He wants to throw a hook but needs to get better with hitting his mark throwing a straight ball. He had 5 strikes and made a couple spares, but still wants to cross in front of himself with the ball. Practice is good for him as long other kids are not around him, or the class clown shows up. Don't know were he got that from.:rolleyes:
We will keep all posted as we work through the "Matthew Experiment" as my wife is calling it.

Seamistlark
09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, three weeks into league bowling and Matthew is on a team with two other boys, a nine year ols and a thirteen year old. He is bowling a 93 average and now wants a bigger ball. He would like one that can be drilled full finger now and have inserts put in for fingertip. He is really enjoying himself and is meeting new friends.

Stormed1
09-29-2009, 11:05 AM
The only thing i would warn you about putting him in a fingertip at his age is to check his fit on a regular basis. I have seen kids spans change 3/4 of an inch over the course of a summer. Good luck on your "experiment" and hopefully he will get hooked on our sport as both my son and daughter did.

Strike Domination
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
That is true about growing a lot. That's one downfall for sure. Oh, and they don't make bigger balls lol. They make higher quality balls. Anyways, for now I'd personally be tempted to keep him at conventional grip but maybe get him an entry level ball as opposed to plastic.

Seamistlark
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
When I said bigger I meant Heavier. He has an 8lb. now and wants a 10.

Strike Domination
09-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Ohhh haha, I was joking because I knew that's not really what you meant. For some reason I didn't think of the weight of the ball as what you meant though.