PDA

View Full Version : Champion Crowned

onefrombills
08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Champion Crowned

8/09/2009

By Lucas Wiseman USBC Communications

LAS VEGAS - After undergoing back surgery in 1997, Tammy Boomershine of North Ogden, Utah, completed her long recovery Sunday by winning the 2009 U.S. Women's Open, a United States Bowling Congress event.

Boomershine defeated USBC Hall of Famer Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of Keller, Texas, 269-225, in the championship match at Sunset Station's Strike Zone Bowling Center. She earned $25,000 for the victory, which will be featured on a tape-delayed basis by ESPN for five consecutive Sundays at 2 p.m. Eastern beginning Sept. 13.

"It's so surprising to me to be in this position after all I've been through," Boomsershine said. "I'm truly honored to bowl against Carolyn, one of my best friends and one of the best bowlers ever, and to beat her for a major title is a huge accomplishment."

After earning Professional Women's Bowling Association rookie of the year honors in 1994 and finishing runner-up for player of the year honors in 1996, Boomershine won her first title since the back surgery derailed her career. And she nearly did so in dramatic fashion.

Boomershine had her sights set on a $100,000 bonus for a perfect game in the championship match, starting with eight consecutive strikes before a ringing 10 pin put an end to her bid for perfection.

"Once I let the ball out of my hand, I thought it would strike," Boomershine said. "I wanted to throw a strike more to end the match, but I was definitely thinking about that $100,000."

Dorin-Ballard could only sit and watch as Boomershine built a 40-pin lead after four frames. For Dorin-Ballard, it was her second career runner-up finish at the U.S. Women's Open. She also finished second in 2003 to Kelly Kulick.

"I'm proud of the way I bowled," Dorin-Ballard said. "It's a lot easier to lose when you know that you've bowled well. I'm at peace with what happened today."

In the semifinals, Dorin-Ballard started with six consecutive strikes before missing left and leaving a 3 pin in a 268-232 victory over Shannon Pluhowsky of Phoenix. Boomershine threw eight consecutive strikes starting in the third frame as she knocked off Missy Bellinder of Fullerton, Calif., 269-206.

Dorin-Ballard earned $15,000 for the second place finish, while Pluhowsky and Bellinder took home $8,500 as they shared third place.

The U.S. Women's Open will be televised on a tape-delayed basis starting Sept. 13 and continuing for five consecutive weeks at 2 p.m. EDT. The five television shows will feature the top 12 players in the field in their quest to win the U.S. Women's Open.

2009 U.S. WOMEN'S OPENAt Sunset Station's Strike Zone Bowling Center, Henderson, Nev.Sunday's results

SEMIFINALS

Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Keller, Texas, def. Shannon Pluhowsky of Phoenix, 268-232Tammy Boomershine, North Ogden, Utah, def. Missy Bellinder, Fullerton, Calif., 269-206

FINALS

Boomershine def. Dorin-Ballard, 269-225