PDA

View Full Version : Field Set For Semifinals

onefrombills
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Field Set For Semifinals

8/09/2009

By Lucas WisemanUSBC Communications

LAS VEGAS - Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of Keller, Texas, and Missy Bellinder of Fullerton, Calif., secured the last two spots in the semifinals at the 2009 U.S. Women's Open, a United States Bowling Congress event on Sunday afternoon.

Dorin-Ballard defeated Lynda Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, 258-225, while Bellinder knocked off top seed Shannon O'Keefe of Arlington, Texas, 279-213, as the winners moved on to Sunday night's semifinals. They are joined by Tammy Boomershine of North Ogden, Utah, and Shannon Pluhowsky of Phoenix, who advanced to the semifinals on Saturday.

After leaving a 10 pin in the opening frame, Dorin-Ballard rattled off six consecutive strikes to pull away from Barnes. Four 10-pin leaves in the first eight frames kept Barnes from staying close to Dorin-Ballard.

"First of all, I was bowling against Lynda Barnes and she's no slacker, so I knew I had to be on my game," Dorin-Ballard said. "I hate bowling against one of my friends, but on the lanes, it's all business out there."

Bellinder, meanwhile, struck on her first four shots before leaving a 4 pin. She continued to strike the rest of the match, finishing with 11 strikes in 12 attempts.

"I knew I had a good shot on both lanes even though I was using a different ball on each lane," Bellinder said. "The shot in the fifth frame I thought I threw it pretty good off my hand. It went high, so I adjusted after that and kept going."

To reach the quarterfinals, Barnes defeated Colombian native Clara Guerrero, 218-164, while Bellinder beat Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y., 212-202.

The championship round, scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. EDT, will feature the four quarterfinal winners battling in head-to-head matches until the champion is determined. If a player shoots 300 in the championship round, she will earn a $100,000 bonus. The shows will air on ESPN on five consecutive Sundays at 2 p.m. EDT beginning Sept. 13. The schedule is subject to change.

The top 12 players after 40 games of qualifying advanced to the televised portion of the event with the top four finishers, O'Keefe, Dorin-Ballard, Kelly Kulick and Boomershine, earning byes in the first round.

2009 U.S. WOMEN'S OPENAt Sunset Station's Strike Zone Bowling Center, Henderson, Nev.Sunday's results

SHOW 3

(7) Lynda Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, def. (10) Clara Guerrero, Pflugerville, Texas, 218-164(2) Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Keller, Texas, def. Barnes, 258-225

SHOW 4

(9) Missy Bellinder, Fullerton, Calif., def. (8) Liz Johnson, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 212-202Bellinder def. (1) Shannon O'Keefe, Arlington, Texas, 279-213