PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Continues Gold Rush at Tournament of the Americas

onefrombills
08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
08/12/2009

Terry Bigham

USBC Communications

terry.bigham@bowl.com

Team USA continued its haul of gold medals at the 47th Lee Evans Tournament of the Americas, winning five divisions and earning medals in the other three during doubles competition at Boardwalk Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday.

Andrew Koff of Miami, who was paired with Chris Pierson of Waukesha, Wis., in theJunior A Men (ages 16-19) Division, got his team off to a great start by shooting 300 during the opening game. Koff's perfect game - the first of this year's tournament - propelled him and Pierson to a six-game total of 2,768 pins and a comfortable victory.

"I knew the short pattern was my strength yesterday, so I knew that would be the pattern to shoot big on," Koff said. "To start off with a 300 game, shoot an 800 series and win the gold medal was just awesome. We just communicated and tried to stay on top of the moves, and that helped us get the win."

It was the second gold medal in as many days for Koff, who finished second at the USBC Junior Gold Championships last month and recently went up against the pros during action at the PBA World Series of Bowling in Detroit.

"Getting a lot of practice at regionals and on PBA patterns prepares me to perform when I get in situations like this," Koff said. "Watching and competing against Chris Barnes, Walter Ray Williams, etc., prepares me to succeed. I just go in not worrying about score, but just trying to make the best shots I can."

Koff was not, however, the only American competitor to find perfection on Wednesday.

At the opposite end of Boardwalk Bowl, John Szczerbinski of North Tonawanda, N.Y., finished off his own perfect game just moments after Koff rolled his. Szczerbinski and Tim Pfeifer of Cranberry Township, Pa., took bronze in the Senior Men Division with a total of 2,599 pins.

"I threw my 10th (strike), and I heard them cheering (Andrew Koff)," Szczerbinski said.

"I threw my last two then went down and congratulated him."

In women's competition, Carol Teel of The Villages, Fla., and Christine Srock of Pinellas Park, Fla., took first in the Senior Division with 2,252 pins. Josie Earnest of Vandalia, Ill., and Ricki Williams of Wichita, Kan., put up a 2,474 pins to secure a bronze medal in Adult action.

In the junior women divisions, Jessica Earnest of Vandalia, Ill., and Dayna Galganski of Palm Beach, Fla., combined for 2,376 pins to take the gold in the Junior A (16-19) Division. Ana Koff of Miami, and Elise Bolton of Merritt Island, Fla., helped complete the sweep, shooting 2,445 to take the gold medal for Junior B (12-15).

Michael Coffey of Melbourne, Fla. and Daulton Shaffer of Cape Coral, Fla., claimed the title in the Junior B Men (12-15) Division with a 2,488 total while Ed Roberts and Phil Prieto rolled a 2,323 total to take the bronze in the Adult Men Division.

Jessica Earnest, Teel and Coffey join Andrew Koff with two gold medals in as many competitions as each won the singles title in their respective divisions on Tuesday.

Competition continues with mixed doubles on Thursday followed by the team competition on Friday and Saturday.

The Lee Evans Tournament of the Americas is the oldest annual international tournament in the American Zone. The invitational competition is for countries of PABCON (Pan American Bowling Confederation - the American Zone of World Tenpin Bowling Association).

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

Thursday, Aug. 13

9:30 a.m. - Mixed Doubles (Six-game series)

Friday, Aug. 14

9 a.m. - Team Competition (First six games of 12-game series)

Saturday, Aug. 15

9 a.m. - Team Competition (Games 7-12 of 12-game series)

TOURNAMENT RESULTS

WEDNESDAY'S FINAL DOUBLES RESULTS

(Through 6 of 6 games)

ADULT MEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Alejandro Cruz and Daniel Falconi (Mexico) 2,710; Silver - Edgardo Ruiz and Gabriel Sanchez (Puerto Rico) 2,652; Bronze - John Szczerbinski and Tim Pfeifer (USA) 2,599.

ADULT WOMEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Iliana Lomeli and Aseret Zetter (Mexico) 2,574; Silver - Ingellimar Contreras and Patrici De Faria, Venezuela) 2,503; Bronze - Josie Earnest and Ricki Williams (USA) 2,475.

SENIOR MEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Pedro Diaz and Arturo Hernandez (Venezuela) 2,473; Silver - Luis Matias and Tony Santa (Puerto Rico) 2,342; Bronze - Ed Roberts and Phil Prieto (USA) 2,323.

SENIOR WOMEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Carol Teel and Christine Srock (USA) 2,252; Silver - Lauraine Fast and Elizabeth Wong (Canada) 2,176; Bronze - Angelica Ruiz and Fransuesa Sacre (Mexico) 2,119.

JUNIOR A MEN'S (16-19) DIVISION

Gold - Andrew Koff and Chris Pierson (USA) 2,768; Silver - Kevin Belandria and Carlos Cottone (Venezuela) 2,560; Bronze - Angel Guzman and Israel Hernandez (Puerto Rico) 2,457.

JUNIOR B MEN'S (12-15) DIVISION

Gold - Michael Coffey and Daulton Shaffer (USA) 2,488; Silver - Raymond Rohena and Jorge Serrano (Puerto Rico) 2,311; Bronze - Sebastian Donado and Nicolas Narino (Colombia) 2,114.

JUNIOR A WOMEN'S (16-19) DIVISION

Gold - Jessica Earnest and Dayna Galganski (USA) 2,376; Silver - Jackeline Gerani and Aura Mendez (Venezuela) 2,370; Bronze - Pamela Beaudin and Kodee Pilling (Canada) 2,298.

JUNIOR B WOMEN'S (12-15) DIVISION

Gold - Ana Koff and Elise Bolton (USA) 2,445; Silver - Juliana Franco and Tatiana Munoz (Colombia) 2,112; Bronze - Valerie Bermudez and Kristie Lopez (Puerto Rico) 1,964.

TUESDAY'S FINAL SINGLES RESULTS

(Through 12 of 12 games)

ADULT MEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Gabriel Sanchez (Puerto Rico) 2,829; Silver - Edgardo Ruiz (Puerto Rico) 2,673; Bronze Alejandro Cruz (Mexico) 2,574 4. Tim Pfeifer (USA) 2,533; 11. John Szczerbinski (USA) 2,424.

ADULT WOMEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Josie Earnest (USA) 2,615; Silver - Patricia De Faria (Venezuela) 2,507; Bronze - Ingellimar Contreras (Venezuela) 2,446; 5. Ricki Williams (USA) 2,416.

SENIOR MEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Tony Santa (Puerto Rico) 2,666; Silver - Agustin Camarillo (Mexico) 2,606; Bronze - Ed Roberts (USA) 2,596; 6. Phil Prieto (USA) 2,401.

SENIOR WOMEN'S DIVISION

Gold - Carol Teel (USA) 2,364; Silver - Fransuesa Sacre (Mexico) 2,188; Bronze - Milda Dos Ramos (Venezuela) 2,170; 13. Christine Srock (USA) 1,934.

JUNIOR A MEN'S (16-19) DIVISION

Gold - Andrew Koff (USA) 2,672; Silver - Kevin Belandria (Venezuela) 2,629; Bronze - Carlos Cottone (Venezuela) 2,610; 6. Chris Pierson (USA) 2,510.

JUNIOR B MEN'S (12-15) DIVISION

Gold - Michael Coffey (USA) 2,425; Silver - Daulton Shaffer (USA) 2,324; Bronze - Jorge Serrano (Puerto Rico) 2,318.

JUNIOR A WOMEN'S (16-19) DIVISION

Gold - Jessica Earnest (USA) 2,709; Silver - Ashley Spaid (Puerto Rico) 2,457; Bronze - Dayna Galganski (USA) 2,391.

JUNIOR B WOMEN'S (12-15) DIVISION

Gold - Tatiana Munoz (Colombia) 2,285; Silver - Ana Koff (USA) 2,269; Bronze - Elise Bolton (USA) 2,246.