PDA

View Full Version : New Ball Help

Piggy1918
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I've just recently gotten interested in bowling. I used to bowl with friends a few times a year, using a house ball that weighed 10lbs. I could throw it pretty hard, but I wanted to try a hook. So I started bowling a hook, with the same 10lb house ball. My average is about 140 for those 4 games, and I can tell it has plenty of room to improve.

I want to buy a new ball, one that will hook much easier. I've been looking at the Tropical Storm, it seems to be a good fit for my skill level and budget. Now, should I get it custom drilled (ordering from bowlingball.com)? Or should I stick with the large size, which is what I use with the house ball. Thing is, I have no idea what idea I would get it customized with. Will the large be fine?

Also, what weight should I use? I tried the 12lb house ball and I could not throw it as hard as the 10lb (go figure). 12lb seems about as slow as I want to go, but I know heavier is better. Keeping in mind I weigh ~125, what weight should I be looking at?

Any other general advice for getting the ball or bowling with it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

WAC4504
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I would recommend going to your Pro shop and talking with them, you will probably pay more for the ball but it's worth every penny. The reason I say that is that you can talk to your pro. shop and explain what you want to do and receive expert advise. I to have been tempted to buy over the internet but when I figure in the price of having the ball drilled the way I like it I would only save 20.00 to 30.00 most of the time. If you're in an area where there are more than one pro shop then shp around untill you find one you like. you will be very glad you did.

Piggy1918
08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I would recommend going to your Pro shop and talking with them, you will probably pay more for the ball but it's worth every penny. The reason I say that is that you can talk to your pro. shop and explain what you want to do and receive expert advise. I to have been tempted to buy over the internet but when I figure in the price of having the ball drilled the way I like it I would only save 20.00 to 30.00 most of the time. If you're in an area where there are more than one pro shop then shp around untill you find one you like. you will be very glad you did.

Unfortunately there is only one bowling alley near me, and it only sells a few balls. All of them are about double of what I am looking to pay. I do plan on talking with the owner Mike but he has been gone the past few times I've been. What are some key things I would want to ask about?

JaxBowlingGuy
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
you could always buy the ball online and just take it in to drill. I would say go for a 12lb ball. Once a ball is drilled to fit your hand the ball will seem to feel lighter than it is. also if you are looking to start to hook i would also go with the finger tips and instead of the big holes like the house balls. The tropical storm would be a good ball to start to hook.

Piggy1918
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
you could always buy the ball online and just take it in to drill. I would say go for a 12lb ball. Once a ball is drilled to fit your hand the ball will seem to feel lighter than it is. also if you are looking to start to hook i would also go with the finger tips and instead of the big holes like the house balls. The tropical storm would be a good ball to start to hook.

I think I might do this, the Tropical Storm is on sale right now for $57 and I bet the custom drilling will help out. As for the holes, I have a somewhat irrational fear of getting my fingers caught in the holes. Is it a major disadvantage to have to have the larger finger holes? And thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it!

Graaille
08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I think I might do this, the Tropical Storm is on sale right now for $57 and I bet the custom drilling will help out. As for the holes, I have a somewhat irrational fear of getting my fingers caught in the holes. Is it a major disadvantage to have to have the larger finger holes? And thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it!

It's not an irrational fear, it's actually quite common for people who've bowled w/house balls for a decent amount of time when they start thinking about getting their own ball. The reason that the ball feels lighter with a fingertip grip is that you're not having to grip the ball as much with your thumb - it lays in your hand better. Think about holding a five pound bag of sugar using just your thumb and finger tips versus palming it while using your fingers to guide it.

Most first balls people drill with the fingers just about right, but the thumbhole is 90%+ of the time drilled too large, and that's ok, because it's a start. People have to learn to trust that the ball will stay on their hand w/out the thumb doing a whole lot of gripping. Just be prepared to have a rubbed spot on the back of your thumb. Once you're more comfortable w/your new ball, you can have the thumb plugged and redrill it smaller. There are also various types of tape and/or powders that you can use to make your thumb less likely to get stuck if you're really concerned.

Piggy1918
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
It's not an irrational fear, it's actually quite common for people who've bowled w/house balls for a decent amount of time when they start thinking about getting their own ball. The reason that the ball feels lighter with a fingertip grip is that you're not having to grip the ball as much with your thumb - it lays in your hand better. Think about holding a five pound bag of sugar using just your thumb and finger tips versus palming it while using your fingers to guide it.

Most first balls people drill with the fingers just about right, but the thumbhole is 90%+ of the time drilled too large, and that's ok, because it's a start. People have to learn to trust that the ball will stay on their hand w/out the thumb doing a whole lot of gripping. Just be prepared to have a rubbed spot on the back of your thumb. Once you're more comfortable w/your new ball, you can have the thumb plugged and redrill it smaller. There are also various types of tape and/or powders that you can use to make your thumb less likely to get stuck if you're really concerned.

Thanks for the tips Graaille. So when I go to get the ball drilled, should I just ask for the fingertip grip on the thumb hole? I'm not really sure how much the owner knows about drilling.

JaxBowlingGuy
08-25-2009, 01:59 PM
usually there isnt a finger tip thumb hole.. i say usually because i have seen them but they are rare.. the thumb hole is a regular hole, the only fingertip part is the middle and ring finger.

Piggy1918
08-25-2009, 03:21 PM
usually there isnt a finger tip thumb hole.. i say usually because i have seen them but they are rare.. the thumb hole is a regular hole, the only fingertip part is the middle and ring finger.

OK I see now, I was a little confused before. And after looking at some videos, I think I want to stick with the conventional grip rather than the fingertip grip for my first ball. So if I say I want it drilled with conventional grip will he know what I am asking for?

Graaille
08-25-2009, 11:30 PM
OK I see now, I was a little confused before. And after looking at some videos, I think I want to stick with the conventional grip rather than the fingertip grip for my first ball. So if I say I want it drilled with conventional grip will he know what I am asking for?

If he/she's been drilling more than 7 days, then yes, they'll know.

gparks
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
if you want to hook accurately the best bet would be figertip drilling it is made to have your thumb drop out first then you lift with your fingers to get the rotation. trying to hook with a regular drilled ball is spin not rotation and is different for every shot and weaker in the pocket. shure you'll do better with a drilled ball regular just for you,but figer tip drill is what 95% of us or more use. good luck and always hit your mark :)

Piggy1918
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
if you want to hook accurately the best bet would be figertip drilling it is made to have your thumb drop out first then you lift with your fingers to get the rotation. trying to hook with a regular drilled ball is spin not rotation and is different for every shot and weaker in the pocket. shure you'll do better with a drilled ball regular just for you,but figer tip drill is what 95% of us or more use. good luck and always hit your mark :)

I hadn't realized the finger tip was basically the only option for pro bowlers. So, is the fingertip grip workable for a beginner without a coach of any kind? And another question, I'm looking to get a 12lb ball. I read in another thread that it might not be the same core. Is there a way I can look this up?

Graaille
08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
It's not the only option, but it's the one 95% of "serious" bowlers use - Sarge Easter being second, and conventional being last (Assuming one handed bowling, not going into all the options of 2 handed bowling here).

The fingertip grip is workable for beginners w/out a coach - the philosophy's still the same - put 3 fingers in, thumb out first, fingers out next. If the person who drills the ball is decent and not too busy, they'll probably be willing to (after they drill it) go out with you to the lanes and give you some pointers.

Piggy1918
08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
It's not the only option, but it's the one 95% of "serious" bowlers use - Sarge Easter being second, and conventional being last (Assuming one handed bowling, not going into all the options of 2 handed bowling here).

The fingertip grip is workable for beginners w/out a coach - the philosophy's still the same - put 3 fingers in, thumb out first, fingers out next. If the person who drills the ball is decent and not too busy, they'll probably be willing to (after they drill it) go out with you to the lanes and give you some pointers.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I am getting the ball for my birthday in late September, so once I have it drilled I will probably be back for more advice! And any word on if my 12lb Tropical Storm will have a normal core? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Graaille
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try. I am getting the ball for my birthday in late September, so once I have it drilled I will probably be back for more advice! And any word on if my 12lb Tropical Storm will have a normal core? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

If memory serves, TS's have normal cores thru their entire weight line. Usually (but not always) if a company cannot put their normal cores in light balls, they'll either put in a seperate notation that says 10-13lb balls will have a generic core (Brunswick is good for this), or they just won't produce the balls in the lighter weights to begin with. Storm/Roto is probably the best for getting regular cores thru their entire weight range of balls wherever possible.

Piggy1918
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
If memory serves, TS's have normal cores thru their entire weight line. Usually (but not always) if a company cannot put their normal cores in light balls, they'll either put in a seperate notation that says 10-13lb balls will have a generic core (Brunswick is good for this), or they just won't produce the balls in the lighter weights to begin with. Storm/Roto is probably the best for getting regular cores thru their entire weight range of balls wherever possible.

Cool, I would expect them to note if it was a different core, but I read about others not having the normal core and I just wanted to make sure. Sure would be a waste if it turned out it had a generic core. And I think I am going to get it drilled about average: not too aggressive on the back end but still with some decent hook.

JaxBowlingGuy
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
tropical storms are all the same from 12-16lbs... Most of your mid-high range balls will start with the "true" weight block for that ball at 14lbs.. Thats why when looking on the site to buy balls sometimes you will see where it has (lightweight) next to the ball name. Usually these balls are about $10 cheaper as well.