PDA

View Full Version : Early timing

jaws1945
08-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Here's one for all you instructors out there. Explain early timing and what steps can be taken to correct it.

bowl1820
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Now here is a good definition of timing.
"Timing is the relationship between the bowling ball's location during the swing and a bowler's steps during the approach and delivery."

Here's a link to a pdf article by Michelle Mullins talking about early timing that may help. (The problem with early timing in bowling is that the ball gets to the line ahead of the body.)

michelle mullens PDF (www.bowlingknowledge.com/tips/michellemullen/mm200103.pdf)

Graaille
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Early timing is when the ball arrives at the foul line before you do. You don't have the same amount of leverage, and a slightly higher potential for pulling the ball left (for righties). Potential fixes are:
1. speed up your footwork/tempo. Moving back on the approach will cause you to want to speed up those feet, just make sure you don't speed up your swing to compensate.
2. try to have the top of your backswing synchronize with your penultimate step (next to last for those not wanting to look it up.) When you do this it'll seem like your swing will take forever to get to the bottom - don't worry - you're correcting timing. When you feel what severely late timing is like, then you can meet in the middle.
3. be conscious of whether you're swinging free or not. Some very good advice I got was to 'walk past the ball' in the first part of the swing, then 'let it play catchup' for the 2nd half.

jaws1945
08-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Very good replies. That is exactly what I have been doing lately. I think my problem has been pulling the ball down instead of waiting on it.

Maine Man
08-30-2009, 06:16 AM
A couple of quick fixes are the following:

1) Take a smaller first step. This will help get your second step going quicker which will make your feet get to the line a little quicker, delaying your timing.

2) Raise the ball in your stance. Before you begin your approach, raise the ball up higher in your stance, this will lengthen your backswing, and help delay the ball a little longer in your timing.

3) Delay the pushoff. You can delay the pushoff to the end of your first step if you have a four step approach, or until your 2nd step on a five step approach. Again, this will help delay the ball into the backswing and allow you to get back to a normal timing rhythm.

I hope that helps!