PDA

View Full Version : Join the PBA or Wait? What is your thoughts

The KingPin
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Hello Bowlers...

Ok so you have worked your way up, you are now eligible to be a PBA bowler, But....

Do you want to?

Based on the rules do you have the time, money and desire anymore to go pro?

What are your thoughts about becoming a PBA member?

What are the pro and cons of joining?

Jord_84
09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not at that point yet.....but I've heard so many bowlers say that there's more money to be won traveling around to tournaments than joining the PBA.

Graaille
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm not a member yet, but I know several people worked their way up simply to get equipment discounts (whatever it may be). I'd love to be a member simply because that would say I'm a good enough bowler to be a member.

Yes, I'm that easy.

choc576
09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Can you become a professional bowler? Do you have what it takes to survive on the Professional Bowler's Tour (PBA)? Are you able to maintain the level of talent, skill, knowledge, and mindset necessary to be called, "winner," on the PBA.

The basic requirements for attaining membership in the PBA are very minimal by any standard. Here's the current prerequisites - 1) A 200 average or better for the most recent league season with at least 36 games in that league; 2) A 190 average or better in a sanctioned USBC Sport Bowling League; and, 3) Cashing in a PBA Regional tournament as a non-member.

It wasn't many years ago that it took a 200 average for at least 66 games over a two year period or a 230 average for at least one season to qualify for membership in the professional bowler's association. The qualifying standard, however, is not the most important factor for whether you can make it as a professional bowler.

Let's take a look at my "Choc-List" of "4M's" to see whether you have what it takes to be successful and survive the PBA Tour:

1) "Mental" - you should begin with the basics and become a student of the sport. Study every aspect of the game beginning with equipment specifications to practicing bowling techniques to maintaining the proper mental attitude.

2) "Mindset" - get a bowling coach and take lessons regularly; and, every chance you get, watch the professional bowlers in action. The PBA Tour is broadcast on TV weekly, you can try to catch them in a regional tournament when they come to a location near you, or it is easy to visit their website regularly.

3) "Model" - find yourself someone you admire - Norm Duke, Walter Ray Williams, Mike Scroggins, Parker Bohn III - study their moves, their behavior, and very importantly, their demeanor and mental focus.

4) "Maturity" - regardless of your talent or skill, you must have, or develop, a clear and focused purpose for going after your dream. As I always maintain, nothing good is ever accomplished from a point of anger; but rather, from a point of calmness.

It is many a bowler's dream to get up to the PBA Tour and become a regular participant. In the end, it is only you who will be able to determine that. Only you can control your attitude enough to make the attempt.

"Only you can prevent forest fires." -- Smokey the Bear.

StormGirl712
09-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm stuck in making the decision to even bowl a regional. its a little too costly for me to even think about joining the PBA not to mention the standards for getting sponsored while being a PBA member is a tad more difficult then that of the amature staff, which is the way it should be. Lol i guess it all comes down to i dont have the money to put out for that right now, if i did i would more then likely go for it, but money tends to be an issue as of now.

kakcpa
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
The choice is easy....pass on the PBA. There is simply not that much money there to even make it worth it. You are better off, focusing on your education, go to college, and get a much better job. There is college bowling, and perhaps you can get a scholarship. In the working world, you will have a much better steady income....join some leagues, and bowl in nationals, or perhaps local tournaments.

StormGirl712
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
The choice is easy....pass on the PBA. There is simply not that much money there to even make it worth it. You are better off, focusing on your education, go to college, and get a much better job. There is college bowling, and perhaps you can get a scholarship. In the working world, you will have a much better steady income....join some leagues, and bowl in nationals, or perhaps local tournaments.

i was offered a full ride to college for bowling at FAMU, declined it. That school was not a place i wanted to be and i wasnt going to go to a college just for bowling...i would have liked to attend UCF since they are a business and bowling college, but they dont offer scholarships for bowling, you have to apply to the school, get accepted and then pay $250 to try-out for the team. then entire go bowl for college didnt work out for me. i have a fulltime job, bowled in 3 jr gold nationals, qualified for 4, but didnt go this year due to the fact i decided to move up to adults thanks to the youth program in jacksonville not being the greatest and the fact it was a waste for me to go win scholarship money when im not attending college.