PDA

View Full Version : Women and Men Bowling

The KingPin
09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Ok so with walking on egg shells...

Do you think it is fair to have unmixed women and men bowling tournaments?

During my city tournaments and such we of course have men's singles, doubles and such, the same for women.

But do you think this is fair?

Should all bowling tournaments be mixed or stay separated like they are?

Please note that this is not intended to be a I'm better than you thread.

BowlnBrat
09-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I think it's good to have a combination of both...but in all fairness, if there is a men's only tourney, there should be a women's only tourney of the same specifications.

The only time I find it unfair for mixed is when it's a scratch tournament b/c women aren't nearly as powerful as the guys are and it can be harder on the women to place high enough to cash unless they are pro or damn near it!

If it's handicapped I have no problem with it being mixed. But when it comes to a scratch tourney...what's good for the goose is good for the gander. So it's only fair, in my humble opinion, that if it's scratch...the top female is guaranteed to cash OR there be a men's & women's tourney of the same proportions!

branstew
09-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Ours are mixed for both handicapped and scrath and the women do well in both

StormGirl712
09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I know the city tournament that we have in Jacksonville everybody is combined. Which is completely okay with me, I've only competed with the guys for the most part. But we do have a womens only city tournament. It's really to each their own on this one, I like the competition, but I know some females feel like they don't have a chance. I know people can sit here and preach on this all day but the scratch being mixed together would be better in my opinion then having the handicap mixed, this is however coming from a scratch bowler. Lol please keep that in mind. If you can honestly sit here and say that women aren't as good as men, Or capable of beating some your belittling yourself as a female and individual. You capable to whatever you set your mind to. If you go in with a negative attitude, your going to ge negative results. Just something you have to work on. Practice makes perfect and you won't get any better if you don't bowl people who kick your butt every now and then.

Stormed1
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Since a majority of women bowlers do it for fun and fellowship rather than blood and guts they will tend to be at a disadvantage in scratch tournaments against men. Those who are serious and want to compete should be allowed to test themselves by competing against men. There are far too many men who take it badly when being beaten by a woman becaUSE they feel women are "inferioe" and should be barefoot and pregnant rather than competing. I say MORE POWER to the women who want to compete. We created a stir a few years back when we had one of our teammates wife bowl as a sub and she kicked the other teams butts scratch, Seperate tournaments are fairer to the average casual bowler but those that want to "cross over" and compete should be welcomed with open arms

darin40
09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I enjoy the mixed tournements my wife is my doubles partner and we usually have a great time and good quality time together

JaxBowlingGuy
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I think it's good to have a combination of both...but in all fairness, if there is a men's only tourney, there should be a women's only tourney of the same specifications.

The only time I find it unfair for mixed is when it's a scratch tournament b/c women aren't nearly as powerful as the guys are and it can be harder on the women to place high enough to cash unless they are pro or damn near it!

If it's handicapped I have no problem with it being mixed. But when it comes to a scratch tourney...what's good for the goose is good for the gander. So it's only fair, in my humble opinion, that if it's scratch...the top female is guaranteed to cash OR there be a men's & women's tourney of the same proportions!

as for the mens and women only trnys.. I really dont know of any "mens only" tournaments.. I have heard of leagues but not trnys.. 0but there are many womens only.. the ladies have their own nationals, staes, andalot have their own city... they have the queens trny as well...

and with mixing them it should be fine no matter what.. if its a scratch tournamnet than common sense would say if you average low whether male or female, stay out of it.. averages dont know the gender of the person.. if you have a 200 average guy and a 200 average girl bowling against each other who would you favor to win?

It gets old hearing hat the girls cant complete with the guys.. we all have averages for a reason, it give us a "rating system" of sorts... of course if you put a 150 ave female against a 200 ave male, he will beat her like almost everytime... but throw a 200 ave against him and it will be 50/50...

the tournaments should simply be broke up by scratch and handicap... not male and female...

a example that i still think is very unfair.. i bowl a trny every month that when you dont cash you get 1 bonus pin added to your handicap for the next trny.. thats fine, but what i find unfair is that the male max handicap is 50 pins and the females is 60.. say you have a guy and girl with identical averages and neither of them ever cash until they hit the max handicap.. now she has a 10 pin advantage per game just for being a female even though they average the exact same.. women want to always say they are equal to men, so why do we give them the advantages like this every possible time????

ok rant over..lol

StormGirl712
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
if you actually sit down and think about it, women are always given an advantage in every sport in some way, shape or form, not just in bowling. i do however agree that the max handicap should both be the same for male and female. Or why doesnt someone just make up a DECENT tournament that has different divisions set up for scratch and handicap and not all the averages all combined? that may help too.

royancols
10-10-2009, 12:32 AM
i think there is no problem if bowling tournament will mixed played i think when team become mixed so it can play more well then seprate .

Samsonite Luggage (http://www.luggage-4-you.com)

Strike Domination
10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I think it's good to have both. Forcing women to bowl against men doesn't seem fair to some but there are ways to make it fair. At least at the more advanced level, Women bowling against Men is not an issue in my opinion. Women are not less than Men in this sport.

Jord_84
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Recently, I've gotten over my problem competing against men. Heck my Wed night "mixed" league is all men and 3 women. It took a long time for me to get to a point where I felt like I could keep up, without being intimidated...I think I felt accepted when I had men trying to recruit me for their teams lol
I think tournaments should be kept seperate, for the sake of people being comfortable. If a woman is comfortable competing with men...there are lots of tourneys out there that provide that kind of competition. But the desicion shouldn't be forced.

Graaille
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
IMHO - There should be men only tourneys, women only tourneys, and mixed tourneys. Anything to encourage participation in the sport - if someone won't bowl due to having to be competing w/the other gender - then let 'em have a tourney of their own. I think the people who are serious contenders for top honors won't care if it's mixed or not - only those who might be relying on a blocked shot and devine intervention to cash would care.

gparks
11-16-2009, 01:29 PM
for me i see no problem ,rather it be mixed separate or not when people are looking for tourneys they have the rules stated. and as far as men being better or more competitive,you should have seen my mom and her team she was a lifetime 175-185 bowler in league (almost 30 yrs) but get her in a tourney and she turned into a monster,her and her team traveled all across the country.and had a blast i hope to be as consistant as she was,she has been retired for 10 plus years now but im slowly talking her and my step-dad back into it:) it would be a dream of mine to bowl a mixed league with my mentors.

so i say ladies go have fun and compete with the boys:) i know myself i never take bowling against a lady lightly,you girls rock it just as well as us bonehead dudes

hondo
11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Women bowlers tend to have more fundamentally sound games and rely more on time and accuracy. I would not have wanted to bowl Donna Adamek in her prime, she could bowl. Tempo and timing.

Maine Man
11-21-2009, 05:04 AM
I run a monthly traveling scratch tournament in Maine, the biggest one in the state. I leave it open to everyone, men and women. I see no reason to exclude one or the other based on gender. If you are good enough to win, then you'll win, it doesn't matter which hand you throw it with or what gender you are doing it.

mike-boogie
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I just did a tourney a few weeks ago. Mixed handicap and finished 2nd to a women. Had no problems with that, I got beat by 6pins! Congrats to her. The women I bowl against r just as good as the men!

Zoomie
01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Men should have and bowl only in a mens tourney, Women should have and bowl only in a womens tournen, and there should be an equal mix of women and men in a mixed tourney. I am not sexest in any way shape or form (20 years in the military) but if men are not allowed to participate in a womens then women should not be allowed to bowl in a mens. I feel that this started when the revenue was down and by allowing women to enter it increased revenue. This being said I bowl with some women that I wouldnt want in the tournament just cause they would kick my butt!