PDA

View Full Version : Sport shot vs House shot bowling?

The KingPin
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
So we have Sport shot bowling and House shot league bowling, what is your take on which one is better or if they have their own benefits, what do you like about each one?

StormGirl712
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I personally would rather bowl a sport shot league. It's more of a challenge and teaches you consistancy and accuracy. Unlike that of a house hot where you have a 10 board margin of error. But Jacksonville only has sport leagues during summer.

mrbill
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I would rather do a sport shot/PBA EXp league so as to get ready for turneys and win alot of M000000La w00t

Alakazam
09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I would love to see a sport league in our area but alas, only during the summer when we are usually gone on a road trip for 4-5 weeks. As far as I know, only PBA leagues are in the summer too in our area.

Strike Domination
09-15-2009, 02:59 AM
I've done two PBA Leagues. I do think both House shots and Sport patterns have their advantages. The tougher sport conditions can train you to be more focused and repeat shots more. The House shot is good for keeping higher and keeping bowlers from getting discouraged because of that.

psaunders300
09-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I like tougher shots because it levels the playing field where I can be more competitive with the younger guys who crank the crap out of the ball and spray it across 15 boards and think they are the best bowler in the world because they can carry on a THS bowling like that.

I have bowled in sport / PBA shot summer leagues for the last four years and I would like to bowl in one all year round. There are several centers in the area that run fall PBA leagues, but none of them are close enough to me. I feel it makes me a better bowler, improving my accuracy and consistency. I have learned to control my speed much better and can now increase or decrease it at will, which gives me yet another weapon to choose from when the lanes get ugly.

In my area, all of the bowling centers are older and either do not have a modern oil machine or think that they will not be able to fill up a sport league. Also, most of the people I bowl with do not want to be challenged and think averaging under 200 is a very bad thing. Two years ago, I talked three friends into bowling with me in the PBA summer league and all but one complained the whole time. The "best" house shot bowler among them got his ego crushed when he averaged 180 and vowed never to do it again...

mrbill
09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I like tougher shots because it levels the playing field where I can be more competitive with the younger guys who crank the crap out of the ball and spray it across 15 boards and think they are the best bowler in the world because they can carry on a THS bowling like that.

I have bowled in sport / PBA shot summer leagues for the last four years and I would like to bowl in one all year round. There are several centers in the area that run fall PBA leagues, but none of them are close enough to me. I feel it makes me a better bowler, improving my accuracy and consistency. I have learned to control my speed much better and can now increase or decrease it at will, which gives me yet another weapon to choose from when the lanes get ugly.

In my area, all of the bowling centers are older and either do not have a modern oil machine or think that they will not be able to fill up a sport league. Also, most of the people I bowl with do not want to be challenged and think averaging under 200 is a very bad thing. Two years ago, I talked three friends into bowling with me in the PBA summer league and all but one complained the whole time. The "best" house shot bowler among them got his ego crushed when he averaged 180 and vowed never to do it again...

Nice bowling place you got there paul, I'm enjoying the read..
It makes me laugh when I hear bowlers that have a good avg and get babyish when its time to step it up>>

psaunders300
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice bowling place you got there paul, I'm enjoying the read..
It makes me laugh when I hear bowlers that have a good avg and get babyish when its time to step it up>>

Thanks mrbill, I appreciate it!

Stormed1
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I much prefer the sport paterns for several reasons,many of which were listed in posts before me. First and foremost is sport shots require much more consistancy in ball speed and release.The level playing field is another aspect. I love to watch the spray and pray 220+ house bowlers struggle to average 180 when they have to hit a 2-3 board area and all of the boards don't have arrows on them. We recently had a king of the hill on a 50 foot patern. If you missed a little in the ball went 60 feet withot wrikling. If you missed out it was gutter. Onee 230 house bowler went 119-quit. The bottom third of qualifying was all 220+ house shot guys and the cut was only 367 for 2. USBC need to eliminate the house wall and put integrity back into bowling

BowlnBrat
09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I've never rolled on a Sport Shot/PBA Exp league. We have one at my home alley, but it's on a night that I can't bowl. Maybe one day I'll be able to try it out and see how it goes. Right now, I guess I'm just rolling in House shot leagues. Maybe getting into a PBA exp league would help improve my game really well....

WhirligigHD
09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I much prefer the sport paterns for several reasons,many of which were listed in posts before me. First and foremost is sport shots require much more consistancy in ball speed and release.The level playing field is another aspect. I love to watch the spray and pray 220+ house bowlers struggle to average 180 when they have to hit a 2-3 board area and all of the boards don't have arrows on them. We recently had a king of the hill on a 50 foot patern. If you missed a little in the ball went 60 feet withot wrikling. If you missed out it was gutter. Onee 230 house bowler went 119-quit. The bottom third of qualifying was all 220+ house shot guys and the cut was only 367 for 2. USBC need to eliminate the house wall and put integrity back into bowling

Agree to a point...but it can be like the A and B teams in grade school I completely understand what you're saying, but if we make it all similar to a Sport pattern, I bet you'll see league numbers (physical persons) drop drastically...I think the tube shots keep people interested in the sport - people like to succeed. I think the sport patterns are a blast, too...it really does thin out the crowd of "competitive" bowlers