PDA

View Full Version : Teams with low man sits out

bowl1820
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone else doing this? My mens league team decided to do it. (low man doesn't have to pay that night he sits out, his sub pays so its not like he's out the money)

I figured it would cause a problem with our low ave man, well he said ok to do it so we did.

Here we are 4 weeks in, captain said he "thought" it was looking like he (the low ave man) was going to be low man last night and he goes ballistic.

This was BS!, he thought hdcp was involved!, he didn't understand how it worked!, he'd be out every other week at that rate. yelled he quit and threw his balls down on the floor and went stomping around.

So the rest of the team calmed him down and left it to me to explain how it worked again. The saving grace was when I showed him that he wasn't low man in the first place!!!

What I think was happening was he was just looking at the handicap scores and figuring with those some how. But he hears low man is figured with the scratch scores and goes nuts. Saying with handicap its the same (well if its the same hows it different). I think he figured hes never going to be low man. I'm not sure that he still understands.

I think there's going to be a problem down the road with him (he's bowled with us several years now but..), I was the only one that got a good look in his eyes at the anger in them over this.

I don't have a problem with low man out format. I felt I was trying harder so I wouldn't be low man. (not that it helped last nite). But I can see how lower ave people might feel they would get the short end of the stick.

I think team's that want to do it should all have about the same averages.

StormGirl712
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
thats odd. ive never heard of doing that.

branstew
09-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I have never heard of it either

Stormed1
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
In the past we did it but it was related to your average. say your averaging 180 and shoot 570 your +30 anchors 200 and shoots 180. he's -20 and would end up sitting out. My Monday team the last 4 years used a 6 man rotation. We picked as a team who bowled position rounds based on who was bowling good at the time. As far as money went we totaled up what the team would pay for the year and divide it by 6. Everyone paid the same amount and at the end of the year just divided prize money by 6. so there was no "well i bowled 103 games and he only bowled 70 . individual prizes such as game series etc went to the bowler who bowled them but any team prizes were divided by 6. 2 year ago thanks to hospital stays and surgery i paid $729.00 to bowl 7ights

bowl1820
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
My team did it because we got a new 6th man for our roster. But he wanted to bowl more than just when ever we needed a sub. Now I made a rotating schedule that had everyone bowl a equal number of times and had to only sit out once about every 6 weeks. That way no one would feel they had to sit out more than someone else.

But they all wanted to do the low man out even the low average guy. So ok they did and now the trouble starts, maybe this was the end of it, maybe not.

I just thought this is a good example of how you have to watch how you run your team. And the things that can cause unintended friction.

PSBA10
09-14-2009, 12:02 AM
On my Tuesday night league we carry that idea one further. We bowl 6 guys each game but only score the top 5. That way the low guy doesn't have to sit out, but his "bad" score doesn't hurt the team.

I have been on teams where the low man sits out. After bowling the first game and being low man, sitting out the second game then coming in for the third when the low man for the second game sits out is tough. You obviously couldn't find the line the first game because you were the low man, now you're cold and don't have a clue how to play the lanes. It is almost impossible to help the team.

I like our system better. At least you stay in there and keep trying. Maybe you have a bad night, but maybe you find your shot in the second game and come on strong from there out.

Edit: The proprietor likes it too. He gives us a deal on lineage.