PDA

View Full Version : need help on choosing a ball

Beech
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey everyone my birthday was just yesterday and for my present my mom is going to get me a ball on this monday coming up. I'm currently throwing a Hammer Road Hawg and I have a 163 avg.

The current problem im having with my ball is that when I roll the ball off the ground it doesnt hook at all with a hook on it. I'm inbeween a stroker and a tweener. i have too throw my ball out to about the arrows to make it hook like I wan't, and it isnt even a big hook. I aim to throw it at the 2nd arrow to the right of the middle arrow and have it come back in the back end.

I'm looking for a ball I can throw fast down the lane and still get a hook in the backend. I was thinking of getting the black widow pearl as i've heard good things about its back end. any other suggesstions?

JaxBowlingGuy
09-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I would speak with your local proshop. Have them watch you bowl a few games and describe to them what you want out of the ball.. They will be able to better guide you to the ball that would fit you style the best..

Strike Domination
09-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I agree. Having someone actually there to watch you is invaluable. Just from what it sounds like is going on, I would recommend a few strong balls for you to look at but maybe that is not really what you need. Definitely consult the pro shop and share all your concerns with them.

Stormed1
09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
hte fact that you have to loft the ball to get it to hook could be a result of too strong of a ball for the conditions you bowl on. Loft delays the reaction and helps to overcome early burn and loss of energy. I would definatly speak with your pro shop concerning this. But just as a quick recomendation i would probasbly go with a pearl cover as it will help eliminate early burn. Their are great pieces at all price points from all companies.

Cuda
09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Or just the opposite....with myself I found that lofting the ball actually takes hook away from the ball...as you are not letting the ball work on its own and hook down the lane where it was designed to do. But i definately agree that before you get dea-set on a specific ball....enlist the help of a good pro shop person...even if you have to go to a few before you get a ball drilled.

Beech
09-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Yup I went to the pro shop today and he did wan't to watch me bowl and recommend the black widow sting which i purchased for a decent price. And he found out why I had to loft it, my span between my fingers in my knucles was to wide for my hand the preson who drilled my ball first did it wrong. Thanks for all your help.

kev3inp
09-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Excellent outcome. I think the pro shop guy has made a return customer. I was researching mid price med to dry lane balls recently, as that's what they spring on us often, and I think we'll go with the Ebonite Lane Breaker.

Beech
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Yup I've actually bought all but 1 ball there. I got a free game with the ball and bowled a 175 first game throwing the ball but does it have hit the pins in the backend i thought it was really cool to see what if i threw with my hold ball wouldnt NEVER get it down like the black widow Sting