PDA

View Full Version : Encourage two-handed to youth?

WhirligigHD
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Okay...so my son is starting to show a lot of interest in bowling...great for me because that's about the only sport I know enough about to help!

He is 9, and isn't strong enough to have a nice swing, so his arm is a bit chaotic and usually ends up crossing his body or out to the side when releasing resulting in gutter balls...

My goal is to have him learn the basics one-handed...but after talking to a few pro shop owners, they said to let him fly with two-handed if he wants. He actually has decent control with two hands and does pretty well.

I don't want to stiffle him...what are you thoughts? I don't want to be the parent that tells his kid to not bother getting a cell phone as it is just a passing craze ;)

Thanks!

Motiv Girl
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I would not discourage him,if his is doing okay, and having fun try ,to learn to about the technique.
I have already posted a article about the two handed style on this site.There are still many people
who bowl without a thumb in the ball.Many people thought that it was a style that would pass,but it's still
around.If your son decides to change to a more conventional style let him come to that
decision.Sometimes telling kids that a certain style only makes them be drawn to it more.I have a
six year old in my bantam program that uses two hands and is averaging 72.I'm just now trying to get
him to be more accurate,and in the future if he changes ,I will be there to help him along with the process.
One of the best hitters in baseball is Ichiro Suzuki.I would not teach this style to someone starting out,
but I would learn about this style so I could help the person who emulates it.If you know bowling,that's
a big part of the equation.Now learn all you can about the two-handed style, and you are on your way
to helping your son learn and enjoy this sport.Good luck and good bowling.
Go to bowlingknowledge.info for articles on this style.
Also see talktenpin.co.uk for some videos and articles

WhirligigHD
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Those are great thoughts! Thanks so much for posting :D

Alakazam
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sure there are more folks out there with more knowledge than myself but my biggest concern with the 2 handed style is what long term effects it could have on our bodies, especially the younger lads and lassies. Does anyone know of any studies that have been done, or have there been any 2 handers around for a long enough time to make an evaluation.

Motiv Girl
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Please check out the link below.Study done by Dr.Thomas D. McKeon Jr. of Kegel on the safety
of the two handed style.

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/foNews.asp?iKodHaber=51

Strike Domination
09-24-2009, 12:51 AM
To me, it's not one of those things where you say "this is how you should bowl." If he develops a sense of satisfaction and comfortability bowling two handed, I would not stop him. Whether he sticks with it forever or not is something he should decide. The goal I would think is for him to have fun, so I don't think it matters how he gets there.

Cuda
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I am not opposed of 2 handed bowling....I just don't think that it is avery sustainable, long term form....I don't think people in their 70+, 60+, 50+, or even 40+ years old are going to have the same bodies that will allow them to play the two handed ball...it does take alot from the body to do that. Whats going to happen when that two handed person cannot sustain that method when they get older....they are going to have to re-learn how to bowl 1 handed, and their ego might take a dip when their average declines while trying to re-learn a new style.

Alakazam
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the link to that article Motiv Girl, it was a good read.

Graaille
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
It's called "let them bowl however they want to until they get bowling in their blood - then they'll decide for themselves." They'll probably try both, then gravitate toward one or the other - but encourage them to enjoy the sport period.

WhirligigHD
09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Exactly...#1 rule in all sports is to have fun! I get to take him practicing before my league each week, so I think I'll work on the actually one-handed basics with him during the first game, then let him do what he wants the second game...just work on what he has for now. He loves the sport already (well, he loves them all right now). I am zipping my mouth shut when it comes time for bowling on his team with his friends - I enjoy watching him just hang with his buds.

Motiv Girl
09-25-2009, 01:30 PM
I think that the goal for coaches and parents, is to learn as much about the sport their child
my be involved in.Becoming involved helps us as coaches and parents to stay on top of the learning
curve.So finding info on what our kids are involved in is the key to keeping them in the sport they may
choose to participate in.Here are two links on the two handed style.One is on coaching the style and,
one is about why two handed style should not be taught to young kids.

http://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/node/3938

http://www.bowlingdigital.de/bowl/node/2626

Strike Domination
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
That's a good way to do it Pat, mixing it up to keep him interested. Those are also nice articles that Motiv Girl posted.

extraacount
09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Haha, my brother started bowling by holding the ball like a baby and tossing it down the lane... then when he got strong enough he started using one hand. And he did have his thumbs in when he was tossing the ball. He'd hold the ball until he gets to the line and then slowly let it drop and BAM the ball went flying :D haha i'd always make fun of him cause of that.