PDA

View Full Version : What is the best tip you have ever gotten or gave out?

The KingPin
09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Helping bowlers is why we are all here.

So what tips have you gotten that really helped you?

Or what tips have you gave other people?

Lets share some of our bowling help to others.

Alakazam
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I've only been bowling 6 years now since the Misses and I retired and after a couple of years we took some serious coaching sessions, the biggest thing I got out of the first lesson was 'free arm swing, free arm swing, free arm swing', LOL. Being a guy, I think most of us have a tendency to use way too much muscle, our coach got me a higher backswing with no muscle and my game started to vastly improve shortly after.

Strike Domination
09-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't know the best tip I ever got. I would have to say the best tip I've ever given is to people that struggle with spares. I simply tell them the basics of my spare system and hope they develop a way that works for them based on that. I usually see improvement if they take my advice.

bowl1820
09-24-2009, 07:49 AM
One of the best ways is to keep the trailing arm back, but even with your shoulders.

To do this have the thumb of your non bowling hand turned down and pointed slightly toward the approach behind you.

This will help lock your arm and keep your shoulder from rotating and help keep your balance in check.

Stormed1
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
The best tip i got early in my bowling career was the owner took me behind the machines and pointed to the wall. He said " see that wall? It's 3 feet thick and your not going to be able to throw your ball through it. So slow your a$$ down".
The other was from Rich Weber about how not to ht up on the ball which causes the ball to hook early

Cuda
09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
The best advice i got is to quit forcing the hook and the ball down the lane....release the ball closer to the body (I tend to lift it alot down the lane) and let the ball do teh work and hook.

WhirligigHD
09-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Stay behind the ball...get a high-roll. I find it easier to hit my mark when I stay behind it and bring it all the way through with the Norm Duke follow-through ;) That was many years ago, and it still works. I took off several years and the guy that drilled my new stuff said a high roll isn't as good now...but not sure why it wouldn't be...you have all that ball, may as well use the entire circumference!

Evilash71
09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Best tip i have received so far...

Dont walk straight at your target when shooting spares.

Theres more to it than this but basically whatever you are targeting, you will have your upper body facing that target, but your lower body will walk straight or a bit away depending what you target.

I target the 20 for all my spares so basically my upper body is always pointing that direction regardless of what board i am starting on and walking towards.

Beech
09-29-2009, 09:48 PM
i probly got the best help ive ever had from the proshop person showed me alot of usefull tips, 1 was how to use the 2nd arrow that was really helpful. the 2nd tip was how to use boards i always heard about it i never knew and that also helped me a lot getting corrner pins on both sides.

NoTapNorm
09-30-2009, 06:15 AM
When doing well, I tend to get lax in the delivery. Best tip I got was from the pro shop owner who kept reminding me to keep the wrist firm during the delivery.

BowlnBrat
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I have 3 tips that I use all the time

The best tip I've received that has helped me alot...and others that I have told this to...is that where your thumb is pointing when you release, is basically where the ball is going to go...or how it will hook. IE...if you are a straight bowler with no hook...make sure your thumb is pointing straight towards the head pin and your ball will go there...

Of course, as with any throw...you have to adjust based on how the oil has moved or whatever.

Secondly, if you are a stroker (which I am)...the best way to release your ball is to hold keep your hand as if you are holding a suitcase. That really helps to get you to the second arrow and then that slight hook will pick up in the end and go to the pocket. Again, you have to adjust based on the oil.

And the 3rd tip...in picking up the 7, 4-7...and you are a hooker...SLOW THE BALL DOWN! The slower "skid", will result in a harder "hook" into that leave! And for picking up the 10, 6-10 or 6-9-10...move ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT and use your straight spare ball and SLOW IT DOWN!

I use those 3 tips every time I bowl and boy let me tell you it has DRASTICALLY improved my game! From an 85 book avg to a 130-ish average in about 4 months.

topper
10-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Let the ball do the work. Don't force it!

gparks
10-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the thread lots of good tips in here!

a tip that has helped me out alot and helps on all lane surfaces....

if you are close in the pocket but heavy or light.

if you are heavy take a half step forward if light take a half step back

my mom told me this recently and it helps out a bunch,of course i yelled at her for not telling me this when i was 8 she waited 29 plus years to tell me :)

also you need a good push off your ball .it is the start of everything you do,keep it strait and smooth.

and watch your ball speed,with the new speed sensors at almost all the lanes i bowl in now its easy to do&and even 1 mph i see a big difference in ball reaction.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Once you release the ball there is NOTHING else you can do but get ready for your next shot.

HammerOfJustice
10-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Walk straight, shoulders straight, swing straight. The three S's handed down from my father.

poflobo
10-09-2009, 05:45 AM
When we were kids taking lessons, we walked in one morning and there was a steel cable strung from one side of the alleys to the other. There were blankets hanging down close to each lane. The coach said "Today you will learn how to "spot bowl" and we have made it easier because you will not be able to see the pins!":D He also taught us how to know the pin count, without seeing, from the sound of them as they fell. Changed my game immediately!

WAC4504
10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I've only been bowling for 2 years and received so many great tips, but hear are 2 of the most useful 1- free arm swing is crucial do not swing the shoulder 2- SLOW DOWN ! and hit what you aim at.
The best advise I usually give is to myself when I fall off the wagon and that is back to basics, and it works every time. Hope this helps some one, 'cause it's helped me big time. Bill

Jord_84
10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
The best advice I ever got came from a very wise woman named ThongPrincess. She told me to check the span on my sons ball everytime he outgrows a pair of shoes.

Iceman
10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
One of the best ways is to keep the trailing arm back, but even with your shoulders.

To do this have the thumb of your non bowling hand turned down and pointed slightly toward the approach behind you.

This will help lock your arm and keep your shoulder from rotating and help keep your balance in check.

This is such a simple thing that I never thought of - but know it will help my balance at the line. This will make it much more even (shoulders) in my case instead of dropping like I do sometimes. Thanks 1820

mike-boogie
11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
my local proshop guy told me to utilize my use of using two fingers. take advantage of revs and hook. He showed me where and how I should be lining up and releasing from. Stick with what works 4 you!!

Maine Man
11-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Here is a great one my dad gave me when I start over-analyzing my game: " K.I.S.S.":

K eep

I t

S imple

S tupid

:D

hondo
11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Keep the ball around the pocket and become a flawless spare shooter. The scores will come.

Strike Domination
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
The best tip I MAY have gotten now is keep the ball in line with your arm in the stance. I have to see if it's going to be the best place for me to hold it.

venividivici526
11-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm sure this wont be popular, but the best tip i ever recieved was.... "You ever consider taking your thumb out of the ball?"

This was 6 years ago, I had been giving a free bowling ball as was messing around at my local bowling center, a local guy- 2 finger bowler with the most 300's, happen to see me struggling and suggested 2 finger bowling. well it stuck, i joined a league that summer and established a 148 finished the league with a 170 average, and my team won the championship!!!

I bowled for 3 years and got my average up to 180-185, my only real problem was the dreaded 10 pin!

This is when i recieved the second best tip, "You ever consider throwing a back up ball at the 10 pin?"

This is when things came togeother, i could never accurately throw a plastic ball dead straight, after spending a great deal of time to master the back up ball i now hit 95% of my 10 pins, also the back up ball allows me to convert splits that would be nearly imposible throwing conventionally, like the 2-8-10 which i pick up about 20% of the time vs. never throwing conventionally!

Im one of 5 players in my league with a 200+ average, and am lookin forward to bowling in a scratch league next time around

ecub
11-30-2009, 03:15 AM
I happened to be having a conversation with another bowler, why he didn't like a certain type of ball, and it was because he is not used to letting the ball do the work. After letting the ball do the work, he started scoring better. It dawned on me, I was trying to force the ball to do the work for me. So after letting the ball do what it's designed for, I started scoring better.

nathan
02-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Have a free arm swing. Don't think, just throw the ball. Focus.

...that's kind of my own advice to myself, but I'm sure I heard it from somewhere.

mrbill
02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice

Zoomie
02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
When you on the approach think of a song or something to take your mind away from bowling....When your on the approach you can talk yourself out of a simple spare so if you are thinking of something different there is less of a chance. Try it, it does work.

crump582
02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
When you on the approach think of a song or something to take your mind away from bowling....When your on the approach you can talk yourself out of a simple spare so if you are thinking of something different there is less of a chance. Try it, it does work.

Works for golf! I always sing "Magic Stick" by 50 Cent... sounds stupid, but it works.
"I know if I can hit once... I can hit twice... I got the magic stick!"

nathan
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
be smooth.

tracy
02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
my thought is just to bowl the allies and not the bowler. it's too easy to get caught up in the match and forget that the allies are changing with every ball you throw.