PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lane #1...

elky57
09-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I have been doing some homework on Lane #1 and have some questions regarding them.

It seems that there balls are a little higher than others. Are they worth the extra money?

Seems that there is little review on there equipment. Why is that?

Do they even have pro staff? I cant find any on there home page...

It seems as if there is not much information regarding this company. The reason I ask is I am interested in buying some of there equipment. I would like to know more about them thats all.

Typically I use Columbia and Ebonite equipment. Recently I just got my first Storm ball. I am trying to use other companies as my game is evolving. I use to carry a 206 avg. then left bowling for a few years. Now Im starting all over and only rolling a 161 avg for now. Its killing me. I have a few strugles, but mainly just shaking the rust off.

any insight is appreciated...

JaxBowlingGuy
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Lane 1 to me is overpriced and not worth the extta $$$... You can get the same reaction if not better out of some of the bigger company balls (storm, columbia, ect.) but cheaper..

Stormed1
09-24-2009, 10:13 AM
The reason they have no pro staff listed is they are no longer PBA registered. Their balls are poured for them by 900Global . They seem to have their own little clique of "Buzzheads". while they do make good equipment I personally feel it is quite overpriced. Their balls to me do nothiing "special" to warrant the extra cost. If they were price comparable to other companies equipment i would have no problem adding them to my arsenal but the price just drives me away

dpmusic70
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I have the Bomb by lane#1 and I love it. I've had it for a few years now and I don't think they make it anymore but it's the one ball I always go back to. It does amazing things for me.

psaunders300
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I won a free Lane #1 ball back in 2007 (a G-Force Solid) and really liked the reaction of the ball, it suited my game very well. I have won some nice money in tournaments, strike pots and brackets using the ball.

Last year I was looking to replace three balls in my arsenal and after doing some research, I ended up buying all Lane #1. Last year, the company changed their price structure and the price I paid for the three balls were in line with other company's mid and high performance balls. The overpriced argument is just not true anymore. I bought a Dynamo, Chainsaw and Buzzbomb/R for less than $425 (this included drilling, thumb slugs and vaccu-grips, btw), which works out to about $140 per ball. I will qualify this by saying that the Chainsaw is a mid-priced ball and the Buzzbomb/R was recently discontinued when I made my purchase and my pro shop guy worked with a local Lane #1 distributor to get me the best price he could (it helps to have friends in the pro shop :)).

My game seems to match up very well with their equipment and I am happy with my purchase. I recently had my best tournament (MD State USBC) ever using their balls exclusively - I attribute some of this to the balls, most to the bowler ;)

Over the last few years, I have owned balls from all of the major manufacturer's (and some minor ones) and now-a-days they all have very good balls to offer, although I have been disappointed with the Ebonite and Ebonite subsidiary offerings of late.

Keep an open mind, compare ball stats and price and go from there.

elky57
09-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I see the only real way to find out is to try one. I agree that retail on these balls are outrageous. But, I hae been able to find them a lot cheaper than some of the other major companies.

I guess the real ball I have been looking at is the Massacre. Im also really curious to the new release "Red Death". The thing is I have yet to see a Lane #1 ball at the local pro shops nor on the lanes. I have been to several as well. But, you look at all the different videos of each ball and they all do the same thing. No matter which company it is. Thats where it gets tough to figure out exactly what would be best for my style of bowling.

kev3inp
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I think their equipment is fine, but they're not high on my list when considering a new ball.

Their prices are high end. Elite was similarly priced. There's a spot in the marketplace for high priced equipment.

Crankers really seem to like them but they seem to be hit or miss with strokers. A lot of their fans are absolutely rabid should anyone say a discouraging word about their choice.

The wife's works fine. We couldn't really afford to get me one, too, at the time.

We've met Mr. Sposato, and we see the physics prof, who wrote up their core motion analysis, each year, in NC, at the gathering.

dougb
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I have Lane #1, Storm, Brunswick, and Columbia 300 in my bag. Some of the Lane #1 equipment matches up real well with my game (the THS, Bullet, and the Dynamo), while others don't (the Agent Orange).

I can say for the equipment that works the carry seems a little better to me on bad shots than with other companies. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. And I'm not the only bowler that I've seen this with. Take it for what's it worth... it's just my experience.

Their stuff is priced high in the shops, but you can get them for a reasonable price from authorized dealers over at bowlingballexchange.com. The new Gemstone, however, represents an attempt by Lane #1 to bring down their prices to compete with other companies.

I can't speak to the Massacre or the Massacre Red Death, as I've yet to try one or seen them thrown. The Retro THS, which is an older ball, is hands-down the smoothest and most versatile ball I've ever thrown.

gparks
09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
im like u bowled in the 80's 90's and quit and came back recently my first ball was a ebay (used) colbalt bomb.i since bought a storm dimension and brunswick wizard ,they classify the bomb as med to light ball but it is my go to ball for even the oily sport shots. The ball seems to read me and all my mistakes and when u hit dead in the pocket carries and explodes like no other ball ive thrown.it is discontinued now ,so i treat it like gold hoping it never cracks or dies on me,my team always asks where is your bomb? when i try my others :) good luck whatever you decide to do.

Strike Domination
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I've never really had any interest in Lane #1 equipment, and the prices don't help. Not to say they make bad equipment, it's just they don't have that "ooh, ahh" factor with me and I can find good reactions from other companies. I would never discourage anyone from trying them out because everyone makes good equipment and if Lane #1 is the company that catches your eye then so be it.

screwball633
09-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I see the only real way to find out is to try one. I agree that retail on these balls are outrageous. But, I hae been able to find them a lot cheaper than some of the other major companies.

I guess the real ball I have been looking at is the Massacre.

I have thrown Lane #1 for a couple years now trying all different types of their equipment and the Massacre has been the best for me. Its a strong pearl that goes nice and long and has an amazing finish with a hit that is devastating. Definitely pricey but if you are looking to try some look to used equipment...pm me if you need any other lane #1 info :cool: