PDA

View Full Version : i need help with everything!

roy munson
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Hello all,
Let me start off by saying I haven't bowled in a league... much less bowled at all in the last 7 years.
My friend asked me to join his team in a usbc league.

Ok so the first 2 weeks I used my friends old ball, a 16 lb columbia rpm, it may not be columbia.. but I do remember it was an rpm. Also I figured the first 2 weeks would just be a "refresher". The first week I bowled a 431 series with a 179 high game, the second week I bowled a 381 series, during the second week I noticed that my wrist was"braking"..that and I was crossing my arm and also sometimes I would just hang my ball out immediatly after release. I figured it was just the ball becouse the fingergrips were not my size..so I shook it off...

Ok now here's were it gets interesting......
I went to the local pro shop, and after talking to one of the guys I decided to get the storm furious.
Its a 15 lbs. Ball, with a weight hole maybe like 2 inches away from the finger holes. I also picked up a wrist gaurd.

Ok so on my first practice ball, I got caught up on my slide and lofted the ball about 4 feet...not a good start...

My first game I had the wrist gaurd on bowled a 147.. or something like that I forget to be honest, you'll know why after I explain the next 2 games.
Ok the second game I still had the wrist gaurd on and bowled 8 opens in a row.. the 9th frame I rolled an 8... hitting the head pin to the left... at that point I ripped my wrist gaurd off..and proceded to pick up the spare...then with the wrist gaurd still off, I struck out the 10th to finish with a 119..
The third game was almost an exact copy of game number 2.. I couldn't consistently hit anything and struck of the 10th....

As for my approach, I'm never consistant with were I stand, I can't hit any marks I set, I've gotten a few comments such as, my speed is to high, my rev rate is way to high ( with out the wrist gaurd), I should let. The ball do all the work.... I don't know if any of you have seen the movie tin cup... but there's a nice rant about how his swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair....well that's how I'm feeling... and now that my 9 games are up... my scores count for next week and I don't want to to let my team down.

I should also note that my friend bowled a 118 his first game... he carries a 190+ avg... he told me that the lanes were tough... and that he couldn't figure them out...

Oh I forgot to meantion I use the "hand shake" method when I release the ball.

Any help would be great.

Drano
09-24-2009, 11:44 PM
a video would be more helpful for us to help you than anything you could ever type

PSBA10
09-24-2009, 11:58 PM
In the last 7 years since you last bowled, everything has changed. It is like you need to start all over. The big thing I can suggest is not to get frustrated. It sounds like you are well on your way there.

Now to help your game. I would suggest that you concentrate on several basic things things: first, a free arm swing. All you want your arm to do is to guide the ball in the proper direction (swing plane). With your hand in the ball, have your friend stand in front of you. Have him hold the ball while your arm is extended. Now he will let the ball drop into the swing. Do not help the ball at all. Just feel the weight fall back and again forward letting gravity do the work. Do this several times. This is the feeling you want to develop during your swing.

Second: getting your timing under control. From your post I can guess that you are approaching the foul line differently each time. One time fast and you miss left and one time slow and you miss right. There are many timing drills on the internet, just google for them.

Once again, don't get frustrated. It is a great sport and one you can enjoy for years. Welcome back.

Beech
09-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Ok if your using the "hand-shake" release and your generating high revs your probly over turing your wrist a lot to pull that off. I bowl with that way and am a Storker and I dont get high revs. I will give you the tip my pro shop owner gave me.
1. Mark where you stand with the inside of your left foot.
2. Aim for the 2nd arrow and set your mark for that.

and if your still having troubles just slow down mabe you need more time for the ball to grab the lane.
Another thing to help your lofting try to relase the ball on the downsing at about your ancle thats what i was tought. Hope this helps.