PDA

View Full Version : Helping young athletes during tough times.

Motiv Girl
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
After a bad outing ,most kids are upset and will say things like "I'm a bad bowler" or "Things always
go wrong for me during bowling".When kids say these things it's up to us as a coach or parent to
give them so perspective.Don't challenge them head-on with what they are saying ."You might say
'I know that's how you're feeling right now.But slow down and think about this.Is it really true that
you will never be able to do that?" Point out what they did well.
When kids have a bad game or series,they need to know what happened earlier is just one moment in their lives."Kids feel like what just happened defines their worth in life."
Showing empathy toward the situation helps you communicate with them.You do not have to agree
with everything they say.If they are mad and angry,you don't have to come back with,"Okay you're
right you do stink."But you can say I know this is disappointing to you."Narrow the loss to the
moment.Tell them this is only on game/series/tournament and there will be others.
Also after an event never get in the car and start micro analyze everything,give it time.Most kids and adults
don't want a instant replay of what just happened,this only makes it harder.
Kids must learn not to equate their value as a bowler or a person on what happened in one moment in time.
Separate their value as a person from their performance as players.Help them understand that everyone
loses in sports from time to time.

Strike Domination
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I feel like this is not just directed at young bowlers. Literally, it is, but I think it can be applied to pretty much anyone. I've heard adult bowlers say things that imply them being discouraged about what they've done as well. A team mate or coach in that case can be the ones to help put things in perspective.