PDA

View Full Version : Ball weight.

Chow-Chow
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
How to choose the right weight for your ball?

Well, I've been sometimes having trouble with hitting the seven pin. I'm a right handed bowler. Sometimes the ball would fly out to the gutter or it will miss it's mark and go towards the middle. I was wondering if using a lighter ball would help me?

I am about 180 lbs and currently bowling a 15 lbs ball. I was thinking of going down one, to a 14 lbs.

screwball633
09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Does your arm feel like its going to fall off at the end of the night?
Does your wrist hurt at the end of the night? If neither of these are issues I would suggest staying with a 15lb bowl...you can also get a gripmaster or squeeze ball to help build forearm and wrist strength.

Stormed1
09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
You want to throw the heaviest ball you can comfortably throw. Lighter balls allow you to "muscle" the ball easier aand not be as consistant in hitting your target

Strike Domination
09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
You most likely want to stay with the same weight as your strike ball. Or are you using the same ball for strikes and spares? If that's the case then you definitely want to throw the heaviest ball you can handle physically.

screwball633
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
It defiinitely sounds like more of an approach/release problem than a ball weight problem...you need to be comfortable with all your mechanics before you start playing with ball reactions and weights

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Does your wrist hurt at the end of the night? If neither of these are issues I would suggest staying with a 15lb bowl...you can also get a gripmaster or squeeze ball to help build forearm and wrist strength.

My arm feel okay after bowling several games, but my wrist and hand does hurt a bit and get sore. I do have one of them exercise gripping thing. I will try to use it often to help with the hand and wrist strength.

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
You most likely want to stay with the same weight as your strike ball. Or are you using the same ball for strikes and spares? If that's the case then you definitely want to throw the heaviest ball you can handle physically.

Yes I am using the same ball for strikes and spares. As I don't have a spare ball.

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Oh yeah, my lower back also get sore sometimes by the end of the night.

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
It defiinitely sounds like more of an approach/release problem than a ball weight problem...you need to be comfortable with all your mechanics before you start playing with ball reactions and weights

That might be true. As I just started bowling with the ball I have for only a few weeks. About a game per week.

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 08:14 AM
If the hole on the ball is drill slightly far apart for your hand. Would that effect your bowling and hand? This is the first ball I got drill for myself and want to get everything right, before I drill my next ball.

BowlnBrat
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
If the hole on the ball is drill slightly far apart for your hand. Would that effect your bowling and hand? This is the first ball I got drill for myself and want to get everything right, before I drill my next ball.

If the ball is not drilled correctly for your hand and grip, that can affect your release/throw b/c you are having to adjust your grip to fit the ball. The ball should fit your hand. You said you drilled it yourself? Or did you have it drilled at your local pro-shop?

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 11:36 AM
If the ball is not drilled correctly for your hand and grip, that can affect your release/throw b/c you are having to adjust your grip to fit the ball. The ball should fit your hand. You said you drilled it yourself? Or did you have it drilled at your local pro-shop?

The ball was drilled at a local pro-shop for my brother in law. He gave me the ball, because he has no more need for it. I took it to the pro-shop and they adjusted it to fit my hand.

poflobo
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
The ball was drilled at a local pro-shop for my brother in law. He gave me the ball, because he has no more need for it. I took it to the pro-shop and they adjusted it to fit my hand.

Did he plug and redrill the ball using your hand measurements or just adjust the holes to fit your fingers?

Also can you give a little backround info?

How long have you been bowling?
Is ball drilled fingertip on conventional grip?
Brand and model of ball.

If your hand is tired and sore, you are gripping (squeezing) the ball way too tight. Loose fit maybe? Your release will be inconsistent and you will try to force the ball to do want you want it to. This causes you to put a strain on your back... making it sore.

Chow-Chow
09-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Did he plug and redrill the ball using your hand measurements or just adjust the holes to fit your fingers?

Also can you give a little backround info?

How long have you been bowling?
Is ball drilled fingertip on conventional grip?
Brand and model of ball.

If your hand is tired and sore, you are gripping (squeezing) the ball way too tight. Loose fit maybe? Your release will be inconsistent and you will try to force the ball to do want you want it to. This causes you to put a strain on your back... making it sore.

Actual I am not sure if the pro shop did or did not plug and re-drill the ball. All I know is that the guy measured my fingers, thumb and hands and that the ball has gotten different size finger grips and thumb slug which is a better fit for my fingers.

I have been bowling more serious for about a year now, but this is the first fitted ball that I have ever had. Before I was just using the house balls. Been using this ball for about two months now.

The ball is a Ebonite Bash.
The the thumb slug can be a size smaller.

My hand also ache too. I was wondering if this is cause by the distance of the thumb hole to the finger holes. Maybe it might be just a bit far apart. Which may cause my hand to ache, because of the tension?

screwball633
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes all kinds of ball fit issues will cause different kinds of hand fatigue/strain. Before you start dabbling in weights and types of balls get comfortable with the ball you have in terms of fit and release. This will give you an overall better idea o what type of ball you need.

poflobo
09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Actual I am not sure if the pro shop did or did not plug and re-drill the ball. All I know is that the guy measured my fingers, thumb and hands and that the ball has gotten different size finger grips and thumb slug which is a better fit for my fingers.

I have been bowling more serious for about a year now, but this is the first fitted ball that I have ever had. Before I was just using the house balls. Been using this ball for about two months now.

The ball is a Ebonite Bash.
The the thumb slug can be a size smaller.

My hand also ache too. I was wondering if this is cause by the distance of the thumb hole to the finger holes. Maybe it might be just a bit far apart. Which may cause my hand to ache, because of the tension?

I'm guessing that with the thumb insert (slug) you do have a fingertip grip. So if you put your fingers in, to the first knuckle, you should able to put your thumb in the ball with minimal stretching of the hand. Should feel comfortable. Palm of hand should be totally flat against ball. If it doesn't, span is too short.

Always insert fingers first. Then the thumb. Gives same grip every time. Some bowlers tape can help with the large thumb hole.

The Bash looks like a good ball, but it is not a big hooker. It is designed to go farther down the lane and finish with a smooth arc to the pins. Your shot would be somewhere like... straight out across 2nd arrow and a smooth break to the pocket. Resist the urge to CHUNK THE CRAP OUT OF IT!:D Smooth and accurate will get you higher scores.

A 15 lb. ball is fine. You can score big with them.

If you have access to a coach, he can help you fine tune your game. We all get out of whack sometimes. Heck, pros have coaches! Why shouldn't we?
There are also coaches who have videos online. Watch them over and over until you catch on. Start on Youtube then google others.

Chow-Chow
10-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Always insert fingers first. Then the thumb. Gives same grip every time. Some bowlers tape can help with the large thumb hole.

Yes, I am currently using bowlers tape for the thumb hole. Thanks for the tip on the insert fingers first. I always did the opposite.