PDA

View Full Version : New League Member Question....

Traveling Bowler
10-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Thought I would ask my question here, because I plan on looking into this next week.....

My question is what is to be used in determining a bowlers score if they are injured and can not finish the game? A bowler on the other team had 84 in the 6th frame and she said, her knee would not allow her to finish. They said she would receive 16 % of her score and she ended up having a 169. My problem with that is the first two games played she had no where near a 169, her average is 150. How was 169 determined to be her score? I have done the math and I must be doing something wrong, because even using the numbers I know and using the 3rd or 4th, 5th frames as examples, I still do NOT get 169. Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks in Advance for any help....

JaxBowlingGuy
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
usually you can put that person in as a blind in the computer even half way through the game and it will calculate the score. That's atleast how all of my leagues are done..

bowl1820
10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Here's from the USBC.

USBC Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 108a
108a/1
When a team member must leave during a game due to injury, how is the remainder of their game scored? What if they must leave in the middle of a frame after making only their first delivery?

Rule 108a provides that if a team member is unable to complete a game due to disability, injury or emergency and another team member is not available, the team shall count the actual score for the frames bowled plus one-tenth of the league’s absentee score for each of the remaining frames in the game.

When a team member only makes their first delivery in a frame and is unable to complete the game, they can only be credited with the number of pins knocked down on that delivery for the frame. The team member gets credit for all completed and partial frames bowled plus one-tenth of their absentee score for additional frames missed.

NOTE: For computing score: Take actual score for frames bowled; credit 10 pins for a strike or spare in last frame bowled. Add 1/10 of league’s absentee score for each of the remaining frames. For example, if absentee score is bowler’s average less 10: Absentee score, 145; 1/10 of 145 = 14.5 X 3 frames = 43.5. Drop fraction and add 43 to actual score for 7 frames bowled. The fraction is dropped after the total amount is figured, and not from each frame.

So doing this you need to know the league rule regarding a absentee score (is it minus 10 pins etc.).
Now the league may have a league rule regarding this, so I'd take a look at them and see just what it says. To see how they got the 16% figure.

Also her first two games would/should have no bearing on what the score is for the third game.

I tried to see if there's a way to get that score. This is the closest I have got so far.

Taking their ave. of 150 - 10pins(for a absentee)=140 their absentee score.

Now taking the 140 X 15%= 21 per missed frame and they missed 4 frames (7-8-9-10).
that gives us 84 ( 21 X 4=84)

So they had 84 in the 6th frame plus 84 for the missed frames gives us a score of 168.

bowl1820
10-02-2009, 12:19 PM
usually you can put that person in as a blind in the computer even half way through the game and it will calculate the score. That's atleast how all of my leagues are done..

That's how it's been done most of the time I've seen it done. But technically it doesn't give you the proper score.Most of the time it just gives you the blind for that bowler, which can be higher or lower than what they should have got.

look at the USBC example.
the bowler there has a 155 average, absentee score is 145.
Now he drops out after the 7th frame. He gets 43 pins for the missed frames.

If he had 100 in the 7th frame, his final score would be 143 (100+43=143)

If he had 160 in the 7th frame, his final score would be 203 (160+43=203)

Now a lot of scorers unless they set them up right, and you just punch in a blind it would just give the bowler a final score of 145 (the absentee score) which wouldn't be the right score.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
ours takes what each frame would of been for average and just finishs the game that way.. Like a 200 ave it would just do x/x/ to finish the game

Stormed1
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
With a 150 average she would get 14 pins per frame for the frames not bowled so she would hav got 56 pins for the remaining frames . therefore her final score would have been 140

bowl1820
10-02-2009, 11:54 PM
With a 150 average she would get 14 pins per frame for the frames not bowled so she would hav got 56 pins for the remaining frames . therefore her final score would have been 140

That's what she should have got, if they had followed the USBC "one-tenth of their absentee score" system. But his league based it on some percentage system, of which we don't have the complete facts to see how the system works.