PDA

View Full Version : JASON'S TV RECAP UNCENSORED - Changin' Times and WSOB Best of Lists

onefrombills
10-04-2009, 07:21 PM
As Bob Dylan sang, “The times they are a changin’.” So it is on the PBA Tour. The entire point of even having a Tour – lest we forget – is to decide who is the best bowler in the world at any given time…a key distinction considering how quickly fortunes can change for the better (Ryan Ciminelli – two shows at the WSOB) or worse (Patrick Allen – bum knee).

But below the POY race there are endless sub-categories of best-of lists…Best Mental Game (Norm Duke), Best Clutch Player (maybe also Norm), Best Player Never-to-Win a Title (Bill “The Real Deal” O’Neill).

The World Series of Bowling telecasts are now less than a month away, but the tournaments are complete (except for the World Championship) and the events that unfolded mean that the order is rapidly changing (as Dylan also sang) yet again. So here are my choices for the current up-to-the-moment best in several different categories, with the exception of Best Bowler (sorry, gotta watch the shows to find that out…plus, its the least subjective category since its determined by the POY point list).

Best Lefty: Rhino Page
How can a guy with just two career titles be on top of this list when you’ve got guys like Parker Bohn III, Patrick Allen and reigning U.S. Open champion Mike Scroggins still in their prime? How about you almost make the show at the Motor City Open when no other lefties made the top 24, then make a show on Scorpion lofting a urethane ball up 1-2 board, then lose in the Round of 8 on the Viper, then again on the Shark playing inside of 5th arrow (and that in the 10th frame of game 7 to the reigning PBA POY Wes Malott), then qualify for the World Championship telecast in December? Buuuuut. PA probably deserves a pass on this one because of his bum knee at the World Series. If he heals up and comes out gangbusters like he did in the second half last year, the title should still be rightfully his, but Rhino is breathing down his neck like an action movie villain during a car chase scene.

Best Woman: Shannon Pluhowsky
This was probably the toughest one to pick simply because there were so many outstanding performances by several women. Liz Johnson, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard and Kelly Kulick all bowled so great during the WSOB that the Women’s Series shows are going to be almost indistinguishable because they’ll be on so much. So why Shannon? I’d have to say that her performance in the Women’s U.S. Open just prior to the WSOB gave her the edge. And if it weren’t for one little 4-7-10 in the 10th frame of game seven of the Shark Championship, then I’d probably have to go with Liz on this one.

Best Gamesman: Norm Duke
Watching Norm Duke grind an opponent to dust during best-of-seven match play is a little bit like watching a cat toy with a mouse before eating him. At the Tour level no one is afraid of bowling anyone else but there are things you can do to your opponent in a head-to-head match that can make him squirm. And Norm does them. Well. Watch as he slows the pace of a match to a halt when his opponent is bowling well and he’s not lined up completely.

Take out a piece of tape. Put a piece back in. Throw a shot. Walk over to another bag and contemplate throwing another ball. Walk back, play with tape again. Look over at the other matches and where other guys are playing. Fiddle around with the thumb. Make the spare. Walk back over to the bag and take the other ball out. Put it on the seat next to the ball return. Stare at it… You get the point.

By the time his opponent gets up he’s stiffer than the Statue of Liberty and may have even forgotten where he was playing on the lanes. I saw Norm take at least two matches to seven games in which he probably had no business making it to five. He ended up losing both, but by the skin of his opponent’s teeth. And he at least gave himself a chance…which is something he never does for his opponent when things are going his way.

Best Qualifying Bowler: Chris Barnes
He has the hardware to prove it in the form of the Lumber Leader award and the $10,000 bonus that went with it. The amazing thing about Barnes is how far ahead he’s always thinking. If you watch him carefully he’s always going back to his bag between frames to queue the next ball he’ll need to go to. Usually, he’ll sample one or two on fill balls at the end of games just so he won’t have to waste any frames getting re-lined up once his ball reaction starts changing. This saves CB countless pins in the middle of games, when its key to string strikes in order to maximize score and keep the momentum going. The difference between Chris and most other players is that they wait until they big four and then fish a while until they get lined up again. Chris almost never waits that long. The second he sees the ball hook a little early for a 4-pin or something worse through the nose, he makes the change, because he was already waiting for it. And he knows just what that change will be because he’s already experimented with it.

Best Crowd-Pleaser: Tie between Jason Couch and Rhino Page
Jason Couch has held this title for some time. But no sooner than a PBA official had come over to me during a commercial break during the Viper Championship and complained about the listlessness of the TV crowd did Rhino throw a clutch double and single-handedly fist pump the crowd to life…where the energy stayed for the rest of the telecast. Couch did the same during the Shark Championship telecast so he’s definitely not read to relinquish the title just yet. Thankfully, when that day comes, Rhino will be there to carry the torch.

Most Fun to Watch: Osku Palermaa
Forget about the amazing youtube trick shot or the two-handed missile delivery that’s guaranteed to send massive multiple messengers on every shot. Just watch this guy throw at a spare! I was standing on the concourse about 20 lanes away talking to a person who knew very little about bowling when Palermaa hurled a 35-mph rocket at the 6-9-10 portion of the Greek Church…AND BOUNCED ALL THREE PINS OUT OF THE PIT ABOUT 25 FEET BACK DOWN THE LANE. I have never, ever seen that in my life. And my life has involved a fair amount of bowling and watching bowling. Oh, and growing up with Robert Smith. So, yeah, I was pretty amazed. Even the young lady I was standing with raised an eyebrow a bit.

Most Stylish: Michael Fagan
Fred Astaire in bowling shoes. That is the best way to describe Michael Fagan. From the lighter-than-air footwork, to the gorgeous flowing armswing, to the easy-strolling gait, to the meticulously chosen color combinations in his choice of clothing, Mike is definitely one stylish dude. I also don’t think anyone’s ball has ever hit as hard for a guy who looks like he’s putting in so little effort.

Most Likely to be a Fashion Model if the Bowling Thing Doesn’t Work Out: Clara Guerrero

When I asked Clara Guerrero during an interview if she’d rather be known as a great bowler or for her looks, she looked as if she might want to melt my face off with one of our production lights. It was a pretty stupid question, I admit, but it’s definitely the one that everyone else is thinking, right? I learned two things at the WSOB about Clara: 1) she is even prettier in person than she is on TV and 2) her constant (habitual) practicing proves that she is determined to be one of the best bowlers in the world (and already is).

There could be any number of more categories than the ones I’ve mentioned here. The fun part is that none of the answers are right or wrong and that each one is almost guaranteed to change over time. The legends are the ones whose names perpetually turn up whenever these categories are mentioned. Earl Anthony’s name will always come up when it comes to speed control and winning. Dick Weber’s name will always be mentioned when it comes to longevity and ambassadorship. And Parker Bohn’s name has become synonymous with perfect form and great sportsmanship. These debates are what make sports fun, and why we continue to remain fans of bowling.