PDA

View Full Version : Team usa to make head coach transition in 2010

onefrombills
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas - Rod Ross has been named Team USA head coach effective January 2010 by United States Bowling Congress High-Performance Director David Garber. Ross will take over for Jeri Edwards, who will continue to coach the team through the end of the year.

"With the new training center for Team USA opening later this year, I feel strongly that the head coach needs be based at the International Bowling Campus in Arlington, and Rod Ross is a natural choice," Garber said. "Jeri Edwards is a fantastic coach with a great winning record. This change has nothing to do with performance."

Ross is USBC's International Training and Research Center Director and current head coach of Junior Team USA. He is a USBC Gold coach with more than 25 years experience teaching high-level bowlers on the lanes.

"Team USA is looked up to as the elite national program in the world," Garber said. "Having a national training center with a full-time head coach on site the caliber of Rod Ross will only strengthen Team USA and bowling as a sport."

Ross will officially take over as head coach a few weeks before the grand opening of the International Training and Research Center on Jan. 25, 2010.

"I am honored to have the opportunity to lead Team USA and continue building on our history and tradition of producing the best bowling athletes in the world," Ross said. "Jeri Edwards has built an outstanding foundation, and I plan to work hard to continue her pattern of success for Team USA."

Edwards, a USBC Gold coach based in Akron, Ohio, took over as Team USA head coach in 2004. Under her leadership, Team USA enjoyed consistent success in the most prestigious international competitions. With Edwards as coach, Team USA took home team gold medals twice in the Men's World Championships, while winning team silver three times at the World Women's Championships. A Team USA bowler won the QubicaAMF World Cup on either the men's or women's side every year of Edwards' tenure.