PDA

View Full Version : Third Asian title to an Amercian pro

onefrombills
10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
3rd October, Hong Kong: John Nolen became the third Amrican PBA pro to bag an Asian Masters title when he triumphed in the Men's Open Masters finals of the 35th Hong Kong International Open while Chan Shuk Han won the Women's Open crown.

John Nolen, who led the first block of 8 games on Friday, needed only one match to defeat challenger, Yannaphon Larpapharat of Thailand, 233-197 to claim the Men's title in his first Asian outing.

The 2009 USBC Masters champion took a three frame lead at the halfway mark of the title match as his opponent, Yannaphon had an opened frame in the third. Despite doubling in the next two frames, the Thai just could not string enough strikes to make a decent challenge.

Although Nolen had a split in the seventh frame, he managed to bounce back with a turkey from frame eight onwards to take a convincing victory.
Men's Open Champion

"It's very rewarding to finally land an Asian title after having spent more than three weeks here competing in the Korea Cup, the Euro-Med Storm and now the Hong Kong Open," said the 30-year-old, who earned his first PBA Tour exemption after winning the USBC Masters this year.

"I knew I had to bowl well in order to stand a chance of picking up the win especially when my opponent has had a good run in the first two matches. It would also be nice to meet Lonnie (Waliczek) in the title match if he could beat the Thai in the second match."

Yannaphon prevented an all-Amercian final when he out No. 2 seed, Waliczek and No. 3 seed, Wu Siu Hong, 245-226-192 to earn a crack at the title. The sixth-seed also depatched two Hong Kong national bowlers, Michael Tsang and Wicky Yeung, 220-214-153 in the first stepladder match.

Nolen won HKG$50,000 (US$6,500) for his effort while the first runnerup took home HKG$22,000 (US$2,800) and second runnerup, Waliczek settled for HKG$14,000 (US$1,800). The champion earned topseed after he topped the second block finals earlier with 3531, 29 pins ahead of Waliczek on 3502.

Meanwhile, No. 1 seed Chan Shuk Han finally landed the Women's Open crown after several near misses after she also need only one match to beat challenger, Vanessa Fung, 224-178 in the all-Hong Kong championship match.

No. 3 seed, Vanessa advanced into the final match after she edged No. 2 seed, Sharon Limansantoso of Indonesia and winner of the first match Geraldine Ng of Singapore, 197-194-182 in the close second match.

Geraldine, who was seeded fifth, took out fourth-seed and ABF Tour Macau leg champion, Putty Armein of Indonesia and defending champion, Chein Hsiu Lan of Chinese Taipei, 215-167-199 to advance into the second match.

"I had so many seconds in the Hong Kong Open in the last few years and to finally win it is a great feeling," said the 36-year-old spinner, Chan. "This is my second open title and the win will give me more confidence for future tournaments.

Chan, who topped the second block finals with 3281 to move into the stepladder finals as topseed earned HKG$25,000 (US$12,000) for the victory. Vanessa and Sharon settled for HKG$12,000 (US$1,500) and HKG$7,000 (US$900) respectively.

The top 16 Asian men and top 16 Asian women qualified for the ABF Tour Hong Kong leg which will be staged at the same bowling center, Hong Kong Bowling City on Sunday.