PDA

View Full Version : Dead Ball?

poflobo
10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I have a Track "Super Freak" that I bought used from a friend, when I returned to bowling a year ago. Being ignorant of new technology, I finished the season with it.

Now that I'm "catching up", I understand what this ball is supposed to be... but it ain't nowhere close! I've read that the surface of this ball goes away somewhat quickly and needs to be tended to.

This is a heavy oil ball, pin placed to the right, even with ring finger and is stacked. If my calculations are correct, this should be a biter, but it has no teeth!

I gave it one of StormBowler13's "spa treatments" followed by a good alcohol rubdown. We put it in a ball spinner, wet sanded it with 800 grit, left it dull and tried it out on fresh oil. Ball reaction was better, but not what I thought it should be, and got less hook out of it the more I bowled. It was picking up oil like a sponge!:confused:

Is anyone familiar with this ball and can give me any insight as to whether I'm crazy or not? Is it beyond repair or do I need to use this sheet of 80 grit I have in my hand?:D

Thanks!

JaxBowlingGuy
10-07-2009, 07:09 PM
if you go too low in grit that ball will just burn up and not hook... also, track balls seem to soak oil quick

poflobo
10-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Aaah. Is that the lines I see forming in the track area?

I think the OTB finish was 1500. Go back to that?

JaxBowlingGuy
10-07-2009, 07:49 PM
800 is not bad... id say maybe 1000... and yes the lines in your track is the oil

poflobo
10-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Lines are still there after I clean it. I think your right about the "burn up". The lane surface is polishing the track.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
usually if i put a ball at a low grit ill put a little non gritty polish on it to help get it down the lane some and still store energy

Stormed1
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Factory finish is 1500 wet sand. I would try a 2000 abralon which is roughly equal to 1000 grit sandpaper. Or go with a light polish over the 800 you have it now to help it store some energy but still read the midlane due to the underlying grit

Strike Domination
10-08-2009, 12:59 AM
My Dad has that ball, and I would say that it has a tendency to lose reaction over time. Of course, he never cleaned his equipment so maybe it'd be different for someone that did. In my opinion, sometimes there's really not much you can do about a ball that died. It seems like it was okay before, just not what it was supposed to be. Is it actually worse now?

Herbert E
10-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Do you have any idea how many games the person you bought it from bowled? And you used for a full season? I think you got your moneys worth time to move on. The good ole days of using the same ball for 10 to 15 years are gone. :) Some balls suck up oil like a hoover suck dirt and take maintance to keep em in peak condition. your proshop guy should be able to help you with that.

poflobo
10-08-2009, 02:58 AM
My Dad has that ball, and I would say that it has a tendency to lose reaction over time. Of course, he never cleaned his equipment so maybe it'd be different for someone that did. In my opinion, sometimes there's really not much you can do about a ball that died. It seems like it was okay before, just not what it was supposed to be. Is it actually worse now?

No, it has never had much bite except on light to dry conditions, but I didn't have a clue as to what it was supposed to do. Things were more simple 25 years ago when I quit. Rubber, polyester or plastic. Just top weight, no cores. No such thing as pin placement, CG, MB or PAP! You need a degree in chemistry, physics AND geometry just to figger out how to drill a ball! :eek: Just kidding!!! :D I'm catching up fairly quick and I always like a good puzzle.

Back to being serious, I really think it was on it's last leg when I got the ball. I'll hit it again with something not so aggressive... maybe 1200 grit or so.

poflobo
10-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Do you have any idea how many games the person you bought it from bowled? And you used for a full season? I think you got your moneys worth time to move on. The good ole days of using the same ball for 10 to 15 years are gone. :) Some balls suck up oil like a hoover suck dirt and take maintance to keep em in peak condition. your pro shop guy should be able to help you with that.

He bought it new when they came out, (about 10 yrs. ago maybe) used it 3 years and put away. Never been refinished... just old.

The pro shop guy (He's our team captain) and I have been playing with it to see if it's worth saving. I guess by what the other gentlemen said, my 800 grit idea weren't no good.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I just saw that its never been resurfaced.. You may want to try that..after sanding with the lowest grit, do the cleaning again... That way the grime on the ball is gone and the degreasing agent can get into the pores..

bowl1820
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Just some thought's

The Track Super freak is a Medium load particle ball (surface 1500 smooth) that came out about 6 years ago.

The 800 grit surface would have been a lot of surface for a particle ball and you probably didn't have enough oil, to get the best reaction. Now the ball is older and may have lost some bite also.

Now to really see where the ball stands.

If your pro-shop or a near by one has them.

First I'd have the ball put in a" Revivor Oven" and sweat the ball dry of oil.
(The hot water method is a ok home DIY, but the machine is better.)

Next put the ball in a Haus machine on the diamond wheels and get the flat spots out.I'm sure it has them by now. Then bring the surface back to the OOB of 1500.

I think then the ball will be as close to "new" as it will ever get. You will then be able see where it stands.

I would look into getting a new ball when you can. Use of particle balls have just about totally stopped, They have found that reactive balls are far more versatile.

While the Super Freak can still fit in your arsenal with adjusting the surface. I think you'd do better and feel more confident with a more current ball. ($$ permitting of coarse).

poflobo
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I just saw that its never been resurfaced.. You may want to try that..after sanding with the lowest grit, do the cleaning again... That way the grime on the ball is gone and the degreasing agent can get into the pores..
My friend always cleaned the ball after using it, but that may be why he stopped using it. I probably got away with using it for awhile since my rev rate is much lower than his.

Just some thought's

The Track Super freak is a Medium load particle ball (surface 1500 smooth) that came out about 6 years ago.

The 800 grit surface would have been a lot of surface for a particle ball and you probably didn't have enough oil, to get the best reaction. Now the ball is older and may have lost some bite also.

I would look into getting a new ball when you can. Use of particle balls have just about totally stopped, They have found that reactive balls are far more versatile.

Aha! Particle ball. That probably explains the track polishing. I'll hit it again with something closer to 1500, but I'm not going to put a lot of money into this ball. I guess if that doesn't help, I'll use some 4000 grit, super polish it and use it for a dry lane ball! Hahaha.:D

I am looking around for a new "used" ball. But alas! As with most folks... The coins ain't in my pocket!:(

Thanks guys! You are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

JaxBowlingGuy
10-08-2009, 01:23 PM
what weight??

poflobo
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
15 lbs. Why?