PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow Venom Owners.

poflobo
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I noticed in the bowling ball question “What is your favorite Hammer Bowling Ball?” there are several people who own the Black Widow Venom. I love mine.

I got curious, so I thought I would post this and see what info I could put together. I’ll go first and you can use it as a template.

Black Widow Venom

Weight: 15 lbs.

Date bought: April 2009

Why you chose it: Pro Shop guy asked me what type of ball reaction I wanted and how I
wanted to shoot it. Based on what I told him, he suggested the Venom.

Drill Pattern: Actually a combo of two patterns. It is a #3 Drilling, Strong Layout
(medium track) set up as a #1 Drilling, Skid/Flip Layout (high track). Pin is
over ring finger. It was drilled this way based on my conversation at the
Pro Shop and the Black Widow drill layouts.
Inserts: Fingers and thumb

Bowling Style: Tweener

Ball Speed: 15 to 16 mph at the pins.

Favorite Shot: Across 7 board ( +/- 1 ) to 3 board ( +/- 1 ) at breakpoint
(optimum conditions)

Maintenance Required: None. May need new finger inserts soon.
(other than cleaning)

Is it your “go to” ball: Yes

poflobo
10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
*****:::::....."crickets".....:::::*****

Iceman
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I have 1 - pin over ring finger Drill 1 - stroker med revs, rolls well, reads lanes well on fresh THS, did great at 09 State Tourney in Columbus, heavier oil on outside. Usually play 5 - 7 straight up.

:steps on cricket to get to this forum: ;)

HammerOfJustice
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I threw a sting demo for 2 games and liked it, but it was a bit too much reaction for me so I decided to go with a venom. This was a little over a month ago and the ball has improved my game by about 20 pin average. I am consistently throwing 220+ now.

Before the Venom I used an old Faball hammer blue drilled for my father (if i had it redrilled he would kill me). So when I finally shelled out for a new ball drilled for my hand size it made a huge difference in my game.

poflobo
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I threw a sting demo for 2 games and liked it, but it was a bit too much reaction for me so I decided to go with a venom. This was a little over a month ago and the ball has improved my game by about 20 pin average. I am consistently throwing 220+ now.

Before the Venom I used an old Faball hammer blue drilled for my father (if i had it redrilled he would kill me). So when I finally shelled out for a new ball drilled for my hand size it made a huge difference in my game.

Can you give more info? (Refer to first post) Pin placement, favorite line to shoot, etc...
Yeah, dads are like that!:D And you averaged 200 with it? That's HUGE!:eek::D

HammerOfJustice
10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Pin Placement - Place pin at 4 1/2" from the positive axis point (PAP)

Layout 4 on the sheet that comes with the ball. I do have some problems rolling over the thumb hole but that's just my release. It doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the ball when it happens though. This layout is described as a smooth arc layout.

And yes, from time to time I still pull out the old Faball. It never steered me wrong. After 20 years it doesn't even have one scratch on it. Never been resurfaced or washed.