PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to "have" bad nights.....

Iceman
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
The old saying, it's one of those nights - how common is it, and does it have to happen?

I've been practicing in my basement on a 22ft home made alley (foam with 2x10 walls) to help get the proper release and rolling the ball. Pretty much practicing my final position roll/release. I've been doing this daily for 15 - 30 minutes a day. It's helped me get down on the shot and follow through - to where I feel much more confident and don't worry about my release during leagues. The last 3 nights have proven that - then last night, I go to leagues, the super league as they call it. I couldn't get roll or follow through on the shot but maybe 6 - 7 times the entire night. I tweaked around with speed, starting position, etc. Nothing worked for me.

I heard so many ppl state just one of those nights. I see it this way - I'm carrying a 210 avg after 7 weeks, then night 8, I shoot a 517 and had to roll last 4 to get it. It was close to a 400 night, the only thing I did different in the 9 and 10th frame of last game was tell myself "make your shot". I rolled 4 out of the 6 or 7 great shots in that timeframe. It tells me I could do it - but wasn't sure how to do it. I know I was coming around the ball early and lofting earlier in the night.

I know we go through nights like this - but anyone having a clue about the game should be able to shoot 590+ even on a bad night. It wasn't carrying, it was me. The lanes were playing longer with not much backend - due to mixed team before us, all plastic and all straight throwers. I went with my most aggressive ball and still couldn't get to the pocket consistently. I know it was the way I was rolling, so I'm looking for means to an end of having bad nights - if I could atleast roll the ball enough to shoot for 600, I could get my avg into the 2teens or even 22. Can't do this shooting low 5's.

Any suggestions or your take on it?:confused:

gparks
10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
we all have em' big thing i do when the slump starts is relax,remeber that i'm here to have fun.then i always go to what i call square one/ my favorite ball at the time favorite start posistion and favorite mark.then take it from there.then adjust accordingly.of course it dosent always work,but it does kinda clear my head up and i tend to calm down and bowl better.

it's different for everybody,but it works for me(or at least seems too) :) good luck i'm shure it was just one of those bad nights.

Iceman
10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I understand the bad nights happen, nothing seems to work whatever I try. I do square one things too - basic ATF, accuracy timing follow through, and even go to the only ball I shot my 300 with, even though I know it's not the ball to use for the condition. I'm sure it's mental to me, I even didn't drink last night. Maybe that's the issue. lol. But overall, i'm only bowling twice a week now, not 5 times a week like I did last year. So when the bad nights happen, they stand out more as I have less chances to overcome them.

I practiced in the basement again today and it felt fine. I added a string 3 ft high right at the foul line to make sure I touch it for my follow through. I check my thumb position too. It all seems fine to me, it's just hard to see the roll on the foam practice sheet, I can only see the track in the foam. I'm looking for types of wood to use with it so I can atleast see the roll for 20Ft into the cushion brace.

I think I'll go up tonight and be a bowl b1&tch (sub) and just bowl through it. Can't get through it when you don't bowl.

Nick
03-22-2010, 12:42 AM
OK, I can't believe I'm the only one who read your thread and was intrigued by your homemade alley. I've often wanted to do something similar but it never got past my mind's eye. Would love to see it. Any pic's you can attach to a message?

Beech
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
in my oppinon its good to have bad nights for a couple of reasons. Number 1 is referring to another old saying, you learn from your mistakes. Number 2 is if you had good nights everynight there would be no fun in the game its basicly shooting 600s over and over and over again whats so fun about that in leauge i think its good to have bad games time to time.
just my 2 cents.

J Anderson
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Being human, there are many things both physical and mental that affect how well we bowl. Very few people either have or use the capacity to completely focus on bowling when they get to the lanes. Part of our minds are still working a problem from our job or how great it was to run into an old friend, or how so-and so really ticked us off. Some times we're physically tired. Sometimes we're mentally tired. Sometimes we even have too much energy!
Personally I really hate those night when I start off bad, get hot for one game, and then completely forget how to bowl:-(

JAnderson
03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
(Disclaimer for other readers - Iceman and I are friends of a sort here. If it seems like I'm railing on him, I think Iceman knows me well enough to know I'm trying to help)

Iceman, by your own admission you're working on your game, trying to improve things by changing them. Any time we do that, we face a time where we're going to be inconsistent because we haven't repeated the proper mechanics (the new desired mechanics) enough to internalize them/make them a part of our game. If you're convinced that the changes you're making will improve your game over the long haul, stick with them regardless of a slump while making the changes.

Do you have video from recently and from, say, 6 months ago? Have you looked at both lately? Have the changes you're working on shown up in the newer video? I'd guess only partially. That's why you're having "those nights".

If it makes you feel any better, I may have shot the world's greatest 558 the other night. It was one of those nights. If you're having them over and over, either step-up your practice sessions and re-commit or focus on something else for awhile.

mrbill
03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm just gonna practice eveyday till I can beat them all!!
I am getting better and better by bowling everyday as my own coach..
28 pins I have gained from beginning of season till now. I really don't care what my avg is, I just love to bowl and I love to win aswell.. You can't stop the bad days tho, no ones perfect.........

Iceman
03-27-2010, 02:28 AM
(Disclaimer for other readers - Iceman and I are friends of a sort here. If it seems like I'm railing on him, I think Iceman knows me well enough to know I'm trying to help)

Iceman, by your own admission you're working on your game, trying to improve things by changing them. Any time we do that, we face a time where we're going to be inconsistent because we haven't repeated the proper mechanics (the new desired mechanics) enough to internalize them/make them a part of our game. If you're convinced that the changes you're making will improve your game over the long haul, stick with them regardless of a slump while making the changes.

Do you have video from recently and from, say, 6 months ago? Have you looked at both lately? Have the changes you're working on shown up in the newer video? I'd guess only partially. That's why you're having "those nights".

If it makes you feel any better, I may have shot the world's greatest 558 the other night. It was one of those nights. If you're having them over and over, either step-up your practice sessions and re-commit or focus on something else for awhile.

I so understand your concept here - I'm not complaining about the bad nights, and I work a lot and hard on my game change. My biggest fault is not having a coach at the younger age, and being a cranker cause it looked good, seeing how much I could hook the ball, which now that I understand the game, understand technique and equipment, it's hindering me from getting to that style change consistently, I know muscle memory is a big thing here - I have much video and I refer to it often, I do new video shoots once a month (I see the same thing over and over again, arm swing behind my back - which is improving, and coming around the shot instead of behind the ball off my fingers).

For the last 3 months, I've been in this down swing of my avg - I'm not worried about my average at all, due to the major changes I'm going through - but I love the game and NEVER will give up on it.

I love the feeling of going up on the approach, executing my shot (that's all). I don't have control if it carries one night to the next, but giving myself a shot every time is my goal. My coach gets a little frustrated with me at times, but he's right there after I shoot a 520, drills in my head to stay behind it and get up through the shot, and somehow, I become a different bowler.

This past monday was a perfect example, I shot the 520, coach came down, turned on 6 lanes, put 1 of my balls on each pair - showed me the pendulum arm swing - told me to get through it then told me to go do it. I got up there took 2 shots on each lane, moved down 1, 2 more, etc. After finishing the 6 lanes (2 shots each lane), he told me to grab 1 of my other balls and do the same. I had a string there of 18 in a row. I know my equipment (moving left/right based on reaction of other equipment) - he couldn't believe I shot a 520 earlier when I can roll like that. This is where I'm having a hard time understanding it myself. Thus, leaving my confidence elsewhere. Thanks Janderson - yes, I value your comments and I KNOW your just trying to help, I don't take things personally, as I will never get better if people try to sugar coat my bad habits of thinking or actions - Thanks Again

Iceman
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
JA - I took your advice (Again) :D and went today and got more video - wow, I see what I was doing.

For the last month, as my shots were so inconsistent - I haven't video taped in over 2 months. So as I stated, I went today and video taped. All from behind, so I am losing my side view at the line. I will get that next time (as this is where i need to focus).

My Left leg is not bent that much - causing me to drop shoulder, but somehow still staying behind the ball well enough to get it out on the lane (not as much as I would like) but I've had nights where I hear big bangs, which is me getting out of the ball on the downswing. I remember many nights, where I tell myself to get down on the shot, but for some reason, my left leg was NOT bending - thus I assume making my shoulder drop to compensate for the "lower" release point. I'm staying behind the ball much better than before which gives me the stroke I'm looking for. I still have about 8 -10 board movement, but these lanes were not conditioned.

The improvements I see are straighter arm through the swing, a much better pendulum, my feet are much less drifting. Where i see much needed improvement is the left knee bent, dropping my shoulder and keeping my right leg on the ground as it slides, the more I lift it up, the more I drop my shoulder. Staying behind the ball has greatly improved :)

I'm still a little flat footed on steps, not heel toe like I want to produce more smoother delivery, but I feel better about the session after I reviewed the video. My coach was there and he just tried to pour the confidence into me, as we have a tourney in morning in KY.

I'll get some of the recent video up soon for your review, but my camcorder records in TOD files, which have to be converted, then I have to edit as I let the session record everything. I use VLC to watch the video so I can slow down the video and see each part I'm focusing on. I'm not working on it tonight, as I have to go drink a few and do something other than bowling mentality to clear my head. Hopefully, get a good night rest and wake up "ready" to attack the lanes.

Thanks again JA as always!

Iceman
03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Just a quick update. Had Tourney this morning, didn't sleep well last night so started off very slow. Doing all the things I usually do when I struggle.

End game 1 - switched to a different ball (even though the ball I was using was giving me hold and not overreacting on a swing).

- Walaah, I started bending my left leg, slowed everything down, smaller steps and a not so high backswing - it was the best I rolled the ball consistently in a long time. I started with 178, then finished 244, 248. The shot was setup for crankers, as they were shooting 750+, and most of the strokers I saw were struggling with carry.

I wish I had video of today, I would have loved to compared today to any other video sequence I made. My teammates, which 1 of course was my coach and 2 others were 230+ on the THS, all made very positive comments on my game today. Very consistent, finished the shot and played it smart. I also heard - if you continue to roll that game, you will get to the 220's quickly.

It was a power boost to my confidence. I was focused and really, I mean really, slowed everything down today, I don't remember missing my target by more than 1 or 2 boards. I didn't pull any shots in the second and third game and didn't miss any spares *Not that I shot many those 2 games*

Today showed me what I need to do and work on muscle memory doing this. I really felt like I was "stroking the ball" coming from a converted cranker, I love it!

Thx for the support everyone.

WAC4504
03-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Bad nights? oh yes I just got done bowling a 421 series, but I really don't feel to bad about it. The reason is because for the last 2 weeks I've been working to change my approach, instead of doing a balancing at on my slide foot I've been trying to keep both feet on the floor. Well I'm finally doing it, and it's getting to be normal to me now, but in the process of learning to do it my scores suffer. Although the balls look much better, now I have to work on hitting my mark again. I know why people refuse to change there way of bowling, even though it would be for the better, 'cause it takes so damn long to do it. I have completely changed my style of bowling from before my foot surgery, and thank God that my team mates are willing to cary me for a while. I try to look on the bright side that soon it's going to get much better, so bad nights? oh yea but it just leaves room for improving. Sorry about the rant guys, just tired, had surgery 4&1/2 months ago and I'm just impatient.

Iceman
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I just uploaded a short 1 min + clip of a few frames. Last roll has current as main and overlay as 3 months ago.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1280177812535 I shared as everyone incase you don't have a Facebook Account. If you don't have one and would like to see the video, let me know and I'll put it on Youtube or somewhere else. It's only 3 Meg (so I compressed it a lot)

trizzypballr
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Everyone has bad nights. Some nights pins just dont carry, some nights you feel alittle out of sync. The big thing is pulling it together and making sure to at least spare. Even on a bad night, your going to carry a few strikes, as long as your sparing your doing fine. You'll see that even the 220-230 average guys shoot 600 on the nose at times. As long as your sparing it all comes out in the wash